• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2007+ ford racing packs

albegtcs

Has anyone added the Ford racing FR1 engine upgrade or FR 3 suspension upgrade. Was it worth the cost and what was the largest differance between stock and after the package was added. How did the addition effect your warrenty from Ford ?

J.Bart

i have ran those, the first thing i noticed with the power upgrade pack was my 08 started growling. yes growling, when i would have the cruise control on or do a steady speed, and when the car would go up hill, it would growl. there wasn't a big increase in power but it seamed the power came on quicker, better response. the mileage dropped at first, but came back, i think i got a little better with the pack. i would get 25 - 29 mpg on the freeway at 75 to 80 mph. and on the old roads, 55 - 60 mph the digital hit 40 mpg three times, i started checking the accuracy then. and it looked to be accurate. it definately had a different sound.

J.Bart

suspension

the handling pack is a big difference, the only down side is ground clearance and a stiffer ride. i don't mind the ride, it's not real stif but it is a noticable difference. and when those ford garage mechanics say it will clear don't beleive them, watch them closely, and insist they be extremely carefull. i had my oil changed at the largest dealer in idaho last weekend, the guy in the pit said: oh it will clear we have had shelby's in here before.
well the guy that drove it in was carefull i showed him how low it was, it went over the pit with 1/4 inch of clearance. but it wouldn't go out the other side. the cats wouldn't clear, he had to back it out. the handling pack to me is a must, i can slalom the yellow hash lines on the freeway with my drivers front tire,......at 75 mph. i went with the gt 500 tires on my factory wheels, they are a tight fit, but it really sticks. i am waiting impatiently for an autocross day. the question i haven't been able to get fr to answer is the camber. shelby gt's and mine with the suspension had alot of camber. i had the ford garage that installed mine to put adjusters in to straighten it up. i can't get anyone to answer if that much camber is designed in it or not.

J.Bart

super pack

just to give you the info on this also. the 550 hp kit is a massive improvment, the milleage has suffered though. i'm down to 18 - 23 mpg. the power range is from start to finish, it pulls hard through the whole rpm range. you have to get a clutch with it, ford racing says no but they are off their rocker!!!! the stock clutch won't hold up even on relaxed drivers. i went with an 04 cobra ford racing clutch, works great.
stock tires won't hold up either. 1st and 2nd tires spin, 3rd clutch spins, both put off large amounts of smoke!!! ford racing has the warrenties on their site, but you need to talk to your dealer who you deal with. they are all different, i found one dealer that wouldn't install my power upgrade pack, they said they had trouble with map sensors, and oil, and that ford wouldn't warrenty them. but others didn't have a problem with it. find one that will take care of you.
TO ALL IN THE SALT LAKE- OGDEN AREA: DON CAMBELL (SERVICE MANAGER) AT WESTLAND FORD IN OGDEN UTAH IS THE BEST I HAVE FOUND IN TWO STATES!!!
IF YOUR IN THAT AREA AND IN TROUBLE HE WILL TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOU.
HE ALSO OWNS A MUSTANG. 08 GT 500 SHELBY, AND HE LIKES CALIFORNIA SPECIALS TOO.!
hope i answered some of your questions

kmitch

Suspension

I have the suspension kit on mine... tought a picture might give you a better idea...

Attachments

• Exterior-Driver's Side 20080803.jpg
    Exterior-Driver's Side 20080803.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
A

albegtcs

Jbart,

I spoke with the Ford dealership I bought the car from, They advised they would cover the warranty if they installed the Paks. They quoted me 4 hours of dealer labor to install the FR1 and another 4 to install the FR3. Does that amount of install time sound correct?

Do you have issued with clearance on curbs and speed bumps?

Why did you pick Ford parts instead of other aftermarket parts ?

J.Bart

i was charged $1000.00 to install the x-pipe , mufflers, and suspension. and then the cold air kit and programing showed up later and i was chraged $80.00 to install it. my receipts don't say how many hours.
the problem i have the most is rubbing the front spoiler on dips , like going into a parking lot with two different angles of the pavement. i don't know if i explained that right. it takes a pretty good speed bump to rub the under carrage. it will ride 1 1/2 inches lower than stock. and it sets lower than sidewalks, so when you pull into a parking lot be carefull: the spoiler won't go over the curb/sidewalk!!!
i went with ford racing because i wanted everything to match, they engineer their parts right off of the race cars, they are the parts that are shown in the mustang brochures, and who knows how many of the other aftermarket business's will be arond or remembered in 20 years? i think ford racing will still be around and have a reputaion.
the world champian drift car is a late model mustang.
i saw one of ford racing's race cars at sema last fall, tire rubs on the fender and everything. they had it on a lift, and i walked under it and saw the same parts that i have on mine. they had a couple of adjustable links that doesn't come in the handling pack, but i think i saw them in the catalog. they used the (non 50 state legal) mufflers
but you can buy them too.

aemoo28

Got a good autocross for you!

I am waiting impatiently for an autocross day. QUOTE]

Thursday, July 16th, Monroe, Washington.

Autocross is part of the 4 day MNW Roundup Mustang party. Spend the weekend and enter into the MCA judged show on Sat. Biggest Mustang gathering in the US with more than 1,200 cars last year... including 15 GT/CS cars! Get THAT many CS cars (seven '68s) in one place anywhere! (Well, besides Grass Valley.)

J.Bart

ok ,
but can you be in the car show and also do the autocross??
at chrome in the dome, after the cars were parked inside, then they did the autocross, so we couldn't do both.

aemoo28

I put the MustangsNorthwest Roundup events on the calendar. It is a 4 day event.

The autocross is the first day, July 16th, Thursday. It's usually held at the speedway in Monroe, Wa.

Then Friday is the Pony Trails. A 2-3 hour parade of 200+ Mustangs. Organized with check in stations and maps.

Saturday July 18th is the big MCA show in Bellevue.

Sun is the big show at same spot in Bellevue at the college- 1200 Mustangs showed up, including my group of 15 Specials & 1 HCS.

Did everyone get a Roundup magazine? Paul N did a 3 page article on the GT/CS for me. I have more, let me know.