• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 dual exhaust

Joeymiami

I have a question that I cant get a answer on. I have the original transverse muffler set up on my GT/CS. I have not been able to find a hipo transverse muffler that is the same size. Closest would be the borla proxs but that muffler is 19 inches wide where the factory is 22 1/4 inches wide. If I put a standard dual exhaust will that hurt me in the car shows? and does anyone know of a hipo aftermarket transverse muffler out there that sounds good?

OP
OP
J

Joeymiami

Ive seen those. Just wish they made one that sounds like a borla or magna flow. Ive only seen the borla transverse muffler but its 3 1/4 inches smaller in width. Im afraid that would be too small and ugly looking. My main concern is if I switch to a 2 muffler dual exhaust is if it will go against me in the car shows?

franklinair

Dual exhaust would only be judged in a Concourse Division. For local shows (even MCA) you'd be OK.
Talk to Stan Jacobs at The Mustang Collection- he may have helpful advice. There used to be a good muffler shop on Bird Rd just west of 87th Ave.

Neil

robert campbell

Joey,
Is this the Borla you are talking bout?

http://www.borla.com/products/proxs_dual_indual_out.html

In this case it is such a departure from stock that I would not do it unless you are competing in concourse division as Neil indicates.

I would go to a two muffler system for your car if you want the sound. And ensure that a quality shop installs them and be very picky about the exhaust tip alignment. My eyes go straight to the tips and their alignment to the cutouts. They must be tucked into them, equal distance on all sides and one cannot stick out further than the other.

I must be anal, but I even look at any car ahead of me at the exhaust tips.

Rob

robert campbell

Joey,
Just saw the pics of your car in the classified area of our forum. VERY NICE! I see that the engine compartment has a dress up package, so you are already not very "concourse", so put the mufflers you want on that bad boy!! It will only make it sound bad to the bone when you enter or leave a show!!

Rob

OP
OP
J

Joeymiami

Dual exhaust would only be judged in a Concourse Division. For local shows (even MCA) you'd be OK.
Talk to Stan Jacobs at The Mustang Collection- he may have helpful advice. There used to be a good muffler shop on Bird Rd just west of 87th Ave.

Neil

Hi Neil,
Yeah, that muffler shop is still there and the same owner! I used to take my cars there back in the 80's. Caribe mufflers. I did talk to stan about it but he was not too sure. He is closing shop and most of the items there have been sold and taken away:sad:

OP
OP
J

Joeymiami

Joey,
Is this the Borla you are talking bout?

http://www.borla.com/products/proxs_dual_indual_out.html

In this case it is such a departure from stock that I would not do it unless you are competing in concourse division as Neil indicates.

I would go to a two muffler system for your car if you want the sound. And ensure that a quality shop installs them and be very picky about the exhaust tip alignment. My eyes go straight to the tips and their alignment to the cutouts. They must be tucked into them, equal distance on all sides and one cannot stick out further than the other.

I must be anal, but I even look at any car ahead of me at the exhaust tips.

Rob

Hi Rob,
Yup, that's the one. Im starting to lean to the dual exhaust. I like borla pro xs but the magna flow tends to have a deeper low sound

OP
OP
J

Joeymiami

Joey,
Just saw the pics of your car in the classified area of our forum. VERY NICE! I see that the engine compartment has a dress up package, so you are already not very "concourse", so put the mufflers you want on that bad boy!! It will only make it sound bad to the bone when you enter or leave a show!!

Rob

I was thinking of going back to the original blue valve covers and putting the hipo headers back on. Not sure on the air filter. Was that an option to what is on now or not?

robert campbell

Joey,
For local shows and fun, your tasteful departures from stock will not hurt you at a car show. Sometimes a "Mustang" only car show might put you in a modified category vice stock. This brings me to a story. Groan.......

When a good friend of mine and myself formed the Kitsap Mustang Club in Bremerton WA. in 1985, we struggled a bit upfront with our annual Mustang show. I opposed modified cars in the stock classes. I owned a highly modified 1967 Fastback and quickly realized that its modifications made it almost an automatic winner in the stock class. I moved my car out and pre-judged other cars to ensure that the stock class competed against other stock looking cars in all years and body styles. This was not a concourse show by any means and the awards were "participant" choice. But I found fair is fair and this leveled the playing field a lot.

We also had some heartache with the GT/CS and HCS Mustangs. Their stock look was head and shoulders over a basic coupe. We proposed and implemented moving the GT/CS and HCS cars into our Boss/Shelby class. Again, we prejudged the cars as they arrived. This was not a huge show, but we would get up to 300 cars.

This was the late 80's and a well known red GT/CS drove in. When we told the owner he was in the Boss/Shelby/GT/CS class, he read us up one side and down the other! He was not happy! But it was clearly stated on our application forms. He had drove from Canada. He was pissed!

His car was candy apple red with black interior and in immaculate condition. That day there were 12 to 15 cars that showed up in this Shelby/Boss/GT/CS class. A freshly finished and detailed 1969 Boss 429 was in his class, but it was picked as best of show. Another thing we implemented is if you one best of show, that was your only award.

So as it worked out the GT/CS won the Boss/Shelby/GT/CS class that day! The same angry owner came up to my friend and I after the show and just blubbered all over us. How proud he was of this trophy and how much it meant to him. He beat at least 12 Shelby's and Boss's that day and some were very very nice.

This story may spark some input on this site. Both for an against. I have another chapter to this story I will post later.

Rob