• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Dual exhaust

Jester

I got a GT/CS C-code with original engine and dual exhaust with twin tips and separate mufflers. I was wondering if anyone knows how I could know if the dual exhaust came with the car or is a later mod? The Marti doesnt say anything and neither does the original order documentation. (At least not anything I understand) The car is not a GT.

stangfan

C-codes did NOT come from the factory with dual exhaust. You could however have a dealer installed dual exhaust system.

Ruppstang

I agree no original duel exhaust on a C code cars. If dealer installed would have been the original style transverse muffler.
Marty

OP
OP
J

Jester

Thanks. Dual exhaust was never an option that could be specified by the dealer from the factory, but the buyer could ask it from the dealer is this what you're saying? I have what looks like an option specification. In top left corner it is printed Ford PASSENGER and it specifies all kind of stuff, among other muffler where it is marked an 8 on right muffler with suffix D. The box for left muffler is left empty. Anyone has a clue what this means? Thanks for any tips. I am currently trying to find the original owner to ask as well...

stangfan

Thanks. Dual exhaust was never an option that could be specified by the dealer from the factory, but the buyer could ask it from the dealer is this what you're saying?

Correct. There were many items that could be dealer installed which were not available from the factory. C-code cars in 68 were all single exhaust from Ford.

Maine gt/cs

Did I also read here on another post that even some J-code cars that were not GT'S came from the factory with single exhaust also.

Tim

green56

Exhaust

is this the way to go for a mild noise is to use a h pipe and dual 50 mufflers for a 289hp 2bbl?

stangfan

is this the way to go for a mild noise is to use a h pipe and dual 50 mufflers for a 289hp 2bbl?

Exhaust sound preference is very subjective. My preference might not be the same as the next persons. Having said that, the system I put on my C-code is a Walker H-pipe with Walker Ultra-flow mufflers. It sounds good around town with a nice rumble. You will hear it when you put your foot down. :cool:

franklinair

According to my book, factory dual exhaust only came with big block engines (390, 428) or the GT option.

Neil

6t8-390gt

I have what looks like an option specification. In top left corner it is printed Ford PASSENGER and it specifies all kind of stuff, among other muffler where it is marked an 8 on right muffler with suffix D. The box for left muffler is left empty. Anyone has a clue what this means? Thanks for any tips. I am currently trying to find the original owner to ask as well...

It sounds like you have found a copy of the original build sheet. If this is in fact for your car the VIN should be printed on the build sheet and includes valuable information to your specific car. The build sheets were generic; so many "blocks" on the build sheet did not apply to your car and were then left blank. It does not list a second muffler because your car came with single exhaust from the factory. If you can scan or post a copy maybe one of us can inform you better. Do your best to preserve the build sheet for historical and documentational value. Nice find!

Danny

OP
OP
J

Jester

Yes, my VIN is specified on the sheet, so its the right car. I got a box full of original papers, owner cards, tax slips, receits etc. really nice documentation. Just three previous owners, so much documentation is preserved. Anyways, I will try to post a copy on this string after vacation. i really appreciate all the help. It would be nice to understand what the exact configuration was from factory to dealer and from dealer to buyer. When I bought the car it had the steel wheels with GT caps, so my guess is that someone along the way made it look like a GT with the quad tips, GT valence and center hub caps...

dalorzo_f

Build sheet for a GT/CS would be rare. San Jose was very good at removing them from the cars, the vast majority I've seen are Dearborn and Metuchen cars... if it is your build sheet would be very interested in seeing a copy!

As for how it left that factory, the Marti would document that. The rest is detective work...

x-codegtcs

The 68 GT s-code San Jose cougar had the build sheet and QC inspection sheet both in the car. The build sheet was water logged and barley legible - the QC sheet on the other hand had lots of good color and very legible. Unfortunately, when I was working on the car, a big wind came up and blew both away...more like blew the build sheet to pieces.

OP
OP
J

Jester

Here is a photo of the document. Is it what you refer to as the build sheet? And I guess it confirms my car came from the factory without dual exhaust. I also add a picture of the car, as you see someone put on the GT caps and I guess then also changed the exhaust and valence.

Attachments

• IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1623.jpg
    IMG_1623.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 38

x-codegtcs

Beautiful car - very jealous of the build sheet! I don't see anything specifying the exhaust type. The Mustang Restoration Guide by Corcoran and Davis show only single exhaust for C codes. But as mentioned, it could have been added by the dealer. One way to check it would be the hangers used. Unless the previous owner did it right, the left leaf spring shackle will be different from the right one and the hangers will be the correct dual exhaust hangers. All of these parts are available, so it isn't a sure, fast way to tell, but if the hangers are incorrect, then most likely changed by the PO and not the dealer.