• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Dual Exhaust Tips

Pony Up

Were the dual tip exhaust tips an option for the California Specials?
Randy

Ruppstang

+ 1 also a intresting fact that I discovered when doing our HCS is that the original Ford tips were chrome plated not stainless steel. Marty

OP
OP
P

Pony Up

So, you can have a California Special, and then add the GT option to the car giving it the exhaust tips? Does that also include the GT lableled hub caps?
Randy

dalorzo_f

The GT option would be styled steel wheels (recently in a discussion elsewhere as to if they were chrome, argent or both were available.. have not nutted that one out), GT hubcaps, GT pop open gas cap, C stripe, dual exaust w/quad tips (requiring GT valence), fog lights, special handling package (suspension and steering upgrade), and GT badges on fenders.

Power brakes were required with big blocks, a separate option, but woud be on all '68 FE GT's. Big blocks also got a Chrome dress up kit under the hood, valve covers, air cleaner lid, radiator cap, and seen some debate on if the master cylinder was also chrome.

CougarCJ

The GT option on a GT/CS would have included the heavy duty suspension with a 9 inch rear, instead of the 8 inch, only for the J code 302-4V.
GT not available with 6 cylinder or C code 289 engines.

Question: A GT/CS or HCS with the GT option, it wouldn't get the C stripes in addition to the GT/CS stripes, would it?

Edward Bodoh

Correct tips for non Gt 302 then...?

Anyone have a pic or describe correct tips for a non gt optioned 302 then? I'm thinking single chrome dual exhaust tips without the valence...pointing straight out or with end of tips curved down? Going to flip thru the book for pics...thanks guys.

stangfan

My CS is a C code 289. I wanted dual exhaust, but did not want to appear to be cloning a GT. My approach was to have slash cut exhaust tips put on with the system tucked tight to the rear valance. I like the look! :grin:

68sunlitgold

With the GT option on the GT/CS, the C stripe was delted in place of the GT/CS stripe and the pop open Gas Cap was the 68 pop open cap NOT the GT pop open cap.

As for the question on what did the exhaust tips look like for a 302 non GT car, it would have been a single exhaust and there was no tips added, it would have been all metal pipe with a down-ward slope at the end.

robert campbell

Very early GT/CS cars may have had the GT pop open gas cap. and it may have had black paint filling the GT letters vice normal red paint for a 1968 GT gas cap.

+ 1 on the single exhaust being behind the valance and cut off at a slant. In fact non-GT dual exhaust may have been both pipes behind the valance with a slant cut. I think there were dual exhaust 1968 Mustangs without the GT tips or valance. It was amazing how many ways you could order your 1968 Mustang!!

Rob

gt/csj4

My Cal is a non-GT J code but it was ordered with heavy duty suspension (only one that I am aware of with a 9 inch from the factory thats non-GT....among the other attributing options of course) Anyway, my car did NOT come with dual exhaust, however I added the GT valance and rolled twin-dual tips for it, simply for preference. As far as the center caps for the SS wheels, from all the cars I have seen for 68' (even an unmolested survivor 68 390 GT, FB) the center caps were stainless steel not painted.(Wheels were argent) Is this fact for all? I HIGHLY doubt it as I have learned so many weird things with these cars over the years, so anything is possible.

In my research, from my car as well as others that I have studied (THIS QUESTION CAME UP IN MY HEAD TOO!) The look/style of said exhaust, is simply dual to single and after the transverse muffler, it is a straight (passenger side) "onset" that is rolled at an 11.5 degree angle, with NO tip on the end

CougarCJ

Did the factory exhaust look like this on a Mustang too?

OEM exhaust on my Cougar CJ.

gt/csj4

I would love to believe so, unfortunately, that set-type I have only seen on earlier cars. Doesn't mean that its not possible on the 67-68 cars, but from a non GT standpoint, with a 302, no, I personally, have only seen dual to single. I can totally be wrong on this however, as I have not seen ALL Mustangs in the world. The thought certainly does perplex me quite a bit, either that, or I am having a total brain aneurysm, and cant think clearly...which is possible

dalorzo_f

The turn down tips noted in the pic look simialr to those I have seen on non-GT dual exhuast cars. My '68 S code convertible is a non-GT and the turn down tips behind the valence were very similar before I added a GT rear valence and quad tips when I restored it...

5255-3b.jpg

And the comment on the C stripe is correct, would have been deleted in favor of the stock GT/CS on the Cal Specials if a GT option was ordered... as wrapping it over the side scoops would be very difficult...

Ruppstang

The only non GT exhaust for the J code 4V was the single exhaust with the turn down tip. The duel verson was only for the cougars. I believe that some of the confusion comes from that in 67 there was a non GT duel system that had turn downs. I am not sure about the duel turn down tips on the S code non GT because early in production Ford required the GT option to get the S code engine. Marty

Attachments

• 68 Mustang 4V non GT Exhaust 001.jpg
    68 Mustang 4V non GT Exhaust 001.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 40

dalorzo_f

Ford required the GT option to get the S code engine

I do not believe that to be true, never seen anything relating to S codes mandating the GT option.

Would be interested in proof, as many tell me my 68 S code is not factory, as is not a GT... but the Marti usually ends that discussion...

Did not even have PDB's, drums. Which are actually pretty common on big blocks as less weight for drag racing.

The FAM's also note dual exhaust as an option on the 427 equipped Mustangs, so using them as a basis for proof is risky. They are RPO info that do not cover any-and-all orders. My understanding was dual exhaust could be an option on non-GT cars. Which would have to use the "Cougar" turndowns. Guess that would be a question for Mr. Marti and a statistical report, how many dual exahust optioned non-GTs....?

Last edited:

gt/csj4

That's just it, It's so hard to establish full proof fact with any of these cars. Sure numbers in a book says one thing but the car, and its provinance (marti report) can suggest otherwise. Anything is possible with these damn cars haha

dalorzo_f

Well... I would disagree with the "anything". :wink:

But as noted the documentation is not comprehensive, as one would expect. Ford didn't think folks 40+ years on would be debating these issues, they were too busy making hundreds of thousands of cars a year...

And I still question GT required for an S code...

Last edited: