• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 day 4....2 things I wish I had in L.A.

mbsf1970

A horn and brake lights!!

My horn ring seems to have snapped just under padding so I had to stuff a store receipt in there to stop rattling noise.

My brake lights seem to only come on in sudden and or hard braking conditions so heavy traffic conditions on L.A. Freeways are not helping and I'm using my 4 ways to indicate a change in speed when necessary.
5-7 lanes of speedy traffic makes for wide awake driving on my part and no right hand mirror adds to the challenge.
In spite of all these challenges, the car is driving very well and my son and I are enjoying our time with it.
1 more day in L.A. Area before heading up coast to San Fran area for 2 days....

Stephen

Mosesatm

The brake light issue is most likely just the switch on the brake pedal arm.
I had the same problem. Purchased and installed $15 switch and it was all fixed. Getting under there isn't fun so you may want to have your son install it.

robert campbell

Installation is a pain in the a__. Unless you are 20 or a stud like Arlie. I hate to go under the dash!!!

Rob

CougarCJ

Make sure that you specify for drum or disc brakes on that switch.
It is easiest to take the time and remove the driver seat for comfort under the dash.

franklinair

'til you get home, give the switch a good spray with WD40 or equivalent. It may help.

Neil

robert campbell

Make sure that you specify for drum or disc brakes on that switch.
It is easiest to take the time and remove the driver seat for comfort under the dash.

Dash work and comfort..... not with my back..... But removing the seats and sometimes the steering wheel is a huge help!!!

Rob

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Almost overheated today......
Car's been so good that I don't check heat gauge as often!!
Heck, if I can drive through Mojave from Vegas to Calif with a/c on and no needle movement-- we'll then you get to figuring that all is good?

Today I came to a complete halt on freeway due to accident ahead. Had a/c on and didn't give it a second look or thought.....WELL, turns out that 20 mins and 1/2 mile later I glanced at gauge......virtually on the letter H !!
Off went a/c and on went heater and down came windows.....

It stabilized and came down a fraction. After accident site, speed picked up and needle came down.
After car cooled, I checked and added more coolant and the crisis was avoided.

Now to go to bed-- as I have minimum 8 hrs behind wheel tomorrow.

Stephen