• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Aluminum Grille Quality

x-codegtcs

I got my new 67 grille (Scott Drake) out so I could convert it to a GT/CS grille (original is unrepairable) and as I was drilling the 67 brackets out the metal started to bend. I put calipers on it and the metal is the correct thickness, but obviously not the correct alloy that Ford spec'd out. I am worried that the weight of the Marchal lamps will eventually cause the grille to bend, droop and crack from bumps and vibrations. Are there any guys out there that have used the SD version? Any failures? Any better alternatives?

somethingspecial

Bought mine from NPD, not sure what vendor, but it seemed as sturdy as an original.

I would think once you screw/bolt it all in and the brackets span the height the whole thing will stiffen up. It has a few support points to spread the load.

+1, Using the original, or repop GT/CS fog light brackets, which are a lot more sturdy than the standard support brackets, will stiffen the grille greatly.

dalorzo_f

Bought mine from NPD, not sure what vendor, but it seemed as sturdy as an original.

I would think once you screw/bolt it all in and the brackets span the height the whole thing will stiffen up. It has a few support points to spread the load.

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

Hmmm - OK mine seems really cheap - aluminum can-ish. I will continue with the mod and wish I had a decent original that I could bend back into shape. :(

dalorzo_f

Not sure about the original GT/CS grilles but I compared the cutouts of the 67 NPD grille I modified for the GT/CS to a mashed old '68 I have. Almost identical thickness and strength of material.

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

Then you definitely got a better grille than I did - sounds like they don't want to re-ship to Australia. Thickness is the same, but definitely not the same alloy. I can bend the main flange with my index finger and thumb - can't do that with the original.

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

yeah, the mesh is even worse....well, I guess a guy only has what is available...I just hope it holds up to the Marchal's...