• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

390 CS on Ebay

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

mca

thanks for the update.

Are you telling me the 8 inch in this car is original to the car? 9 inch rear ends are standard on 390's.

Mustanglvr

mca said:
Ok, everybody take a deep breath and calm down. First, congratulations "too many cars" on your purchase. Pleae don't have an infarction about a hunk of metal. Second, it seems everybody who has responded in flames from my last post are the ones whose noses are out of joint. Canuck, you are so far out in left field I don't think you are even on the planet. It amazes me how none of you know neither I nor "too many cars" personally, and have never even viewed the car in question, yet you all scream "crucify". Your allegations are totally unsubstantiated and without merit. As far as the current seller of the car, I simply have to say that what I have stated previously is in all honesty, end of story. I am a SAAC member, and have had over 40 cars pass through my garage, and countless more that had passed through my resto shop. I too, thought the car would look nice next to my Shelby, a '67 GT500. Over the years I have had multiple contacts, whether it was cars, parts, registries, etc. with now near famous names in the Mustang circle such as Paul, Bob, Mike Ulrey, etc. I simply have no designs except to accurately and factually maintiain histories of rare Mustangs. My personal favorite is concourse undercarriage and engine detailing. I am glad I know where the car is going. "Too many cars", email me and i will send you some early pics of the car when I found it. I would be glad to share what I know about the car with you. I will state the following to the masses out there:
1. The rear end is an 8" - but don't worry - it is the original one to the car. You cannot tell by the bolt pattern between an 8 or 9", if you look at the picture closely, there is no "hump", but a splotch of grease to make it appear as so.

2. A 360 to 390 block cannot be told apart. The difference is simply in the crank and rods.

3. The seller denied the stick welding and could not tell simply because I did a darn good job of grinding until the cows came home on that thing.

4. The sheetmetal, glass, taillights, rear panel, specific GT/CS taillight harness, gas cap, etc. is all original to the best of my knowledge.

So everybody take a deep breath, and calm down.

So MCA, how long has this car been out of your hands? Maybe all that you thought was wrong with it has been fixed by now.

mca

I didn't list anything wrong with the car, just what transpired when I had the car. The current seller replaced the front bucket seatcovers. Howdy JB, yes the 8" is original to the car. I have seen no factory documentation where 390's came standard or mandatory with 9" rears. This car certainly did not. It is a 3.25 two pinion open rear. Also, some good info for the new buyer, the car came with dealer installed "pleasur-ride" rear air shocks. The original sticker was still in the trunk, on the right side of the trunk pan, near the drilled hole where the air valve was. I have pics of original literature for this rare option.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

Howdy JB, yes the 8" is original to the car. I have seen no factory documentation where 390's came standard or mandatory with 9" rears.

In 68 with a 3.25 rear factory gear there were 4 different codes for the rear end. 3 of the 4 were 9 inch rear ends. I will agree this car COULD be a 8 inch rear. Maybe a rear end tag is still on it and maybe the new owner will find it and snap a picture.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

mca said:
Differential tag is WES-M, a 9 incher. Door tag: 65A, D, 2A, 26D, 7, 5. Yes the heads are 390GT, as stated before from a '67 390GT Cougar. Head date codes are 7L24, 7L28. Intake manifold 8C15, Exhaust manifolds 8D28, 8D19, with spacer. Transmission RUG-M2. Sold on 5/6/68 at Rudolph Ford 6100 Mission Street Daly City, California 72A024.

WES-M is a 9 inch

I conferred with some others and ANYTHING with a 351 or larger engine got a 9 inch from the factory.

This car came from the factory with a 9 inch and if it has a 8 inch in it now it is not original as you stated above that it had a original rear end and it was a 8 inch.

68gt390

Have we beat this horse to death yet? I'm sure once Steve gets the car he'll go through it and find out what is what. If nothing else, it appears MCA may have some info on the car but, also seems some of that info is misleading. :icon_dead

Don

Mustanglvr

I don`t think he`s been totally honest with us about anything. Just my two cents....

mca

Enough of this. I have more info than anybody on this car, much more than the marti report. Before, I was going by memory, I went to my archives last night to pull some hard data, and did find out it was WES-M rear. Again, "too many cars" send me an email if you desire, I have historical pics and personal data on the history of this car back to the originating dealer. I am finished with the nonsense here.

Mustanglvr

I just want to know why you "really" did`nt want anybody to bid on that S code?

Canuck CSter

See you later MCA, maybe you should try yer shit on a less informed group next time.

Dale Rivington
Ottawa, Ontario

gt bandit

mca said:
Enough of this. I have more info than anybody on this car, much more than the marti report. Before, I was going by memory, I went to my archives last night to pull some hard data, and did find out it was WES-M rear. Again, "too many cars" send me an email if you desire, I have historical pics and personal data on the history of this car back to the originating dealer. I am finished with the nonsense here.

So how come you didn't bid enough reddies to get this car ? I am really confused here ?

but then thats not that hard :cool: :cool:

deestix

Mr too-many-cars, I first want to say, congratulations on the purchase, and welcome to our little club. I thought this car looked familiar, and I just pulled out my files from 2003, when I started looking in earnest for a GT/CS for myself (I save almost everything). Sure enough, sometime in 2003, this car was listed on Collector Car Trader On Line, at an asking price of $17,500. It had to be the same owner, as the location is Kingsville, TX. I sent the owner a roll of film, which he shot for me, and I had developed. I have about 12 photos of the car from 2003. At that time, the side stripes were missing, and the car had aftermarket wheels. But I was very attracted to the big block/4-speed combo. I remember offering him something like $15,000 for it, which he turned down. I eventually found an 'X' code car, closer to home, which I own now, and am very happy with.
I say, congrats to both the seller for the big number, and the buyer for getting a super car.

MUSTANGBOY34

390 cs ON Ebay

Hello all,

Sorry to pass this news along to you, however Toomanycars (Steve) passed away in August, and now his wife is left with the task of selling off alot of his collection he accumulated. I am not sure if you remeber this car or not, however it was a hot topic. Steve had accumulated alot of new old stock parts for this car, and was actually getting ready to begin restoring it. If anyone is interested please contact me, as you can tell by his couple of post he had numerous cars, and some of them his wife is looking to get rid of. Sorry for not updating you earlier on this, however since i sold my GT/CS also I haven't been current with the web-site. Again Thank you for your consideration

DeadStang

Hello all,

Sorry to pass this news along to you, however Toomanycars (Steve) passed away in August, and now his wife is left with the task of selling off alot of his collection he accumulated. I am not sure if you remeber this car or not, however it was a hot topic. Steve had accumulated alot of new old stock parts for this car, and was actually getting ready to begin restoring it. If anyone is interested please contact me, as you can tell by his couple of post he had numerous cars, and some of them his wife is looking to get rid of. Sorry for not updating you earlier on this, however since i sold my GT/CS also I haven't been current with the web-site. Again Thank you for your consideration

I'm sorry to hear of his passing...it's always sad to lose a fellow enthusiast.

Is the car still in pieces?

MUSTANGBOY34

The car is pretty much intact, the fenders are off, hood off, inside has been stripped down. Again though he has all the part to go along with this. NOS parts. if yu look at an earlier post he had he was going to take to the car to concourse. The only thing I know he is missing is a door. He had one but it wasn't right. everything else he was very careful about getting NOS parts. the car is avaiable to view any time.

DeadStang

The car is pretty much intact, the fenders are off, hood off, inside has been stripped down. Again though he has all the part to go along with this. NOS parts. if yu look at an earlier post he had he was going to take to the car to concourse. The only thing I know he is missing is a door. He had one but it wasn't right. everything else he was very careful about getting NOS parts. the car is avaiable to view any time.

Does his wife have a price in mind, or is she asking for offers? I can't tell by his posts if the motor is still in place, or if it was pulled? I am on the west coast.