• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

390 CS on Ebay

Midnight Special

390cs68rcode said:
I hate to sound like a party pooper but one car sold does not make a market price. It can factor into the market price as a whole. I bought my 390 CS for CONSIDERABLY less than what this one sold for. How many other confirmed sales of 390's do we have?

Are all 289/302 CS's selling for 49k right now because of the BJ auction?

...I got one last December for $35K. '390 4v C6... 'Has a rip in the headliner and a 'removable' clear-coat over the otherwise good Highland Green paint. Other'n that, VERY sound mechanically and not so 'leaky lookin' as this one.

I bought it because they DON'T come up very often and I really wanted to own one before they get into the $40-50K which I believe they easily will (BJ Auction aside). I'm not so concerned w/ todays prices for now 'cuz I'm not planning to turn it for a quick buck. But when I do (or my kids do) - it will be fully documented re; improvements and marketed openly and honestly which has alot to do with commanding top price. I'm amazed on some of these of the amount of sellers who don't offer their phone numbers or insist that prospective buyers come out and inspect before they buy. I see some really cool cars that I turn away from due to lack of seller wanting to have much dialog beyond the written description...

Attachments

• IM002806.JPG
    IM002806.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 48

Mustanglvr

Your car looks nice like that Tim, with it a little higher in the back. Mine is like that when there is air in the shocks, LOL.

hookedtrout

390cs68rcode said:
I hate to sound like a party pooper but one car sold does not make a market price. It can factor into the market price as a whole. I bought my 390 CS for CONSIDERABLY less than what this one sold for. How many other confirmed sales of 390's do we have?

Are all 289/302 CS's selling for 49k right now because of the BJ auction?

Party Pooper! I still say your 390 is worth 35K+. List it and see, you'll find I'm right.

Cory

Midnight Special

Mustanglvr said:
Your car looks nice like that Tim, with it a little higher in the back. Mine is like that when there is air in the shocks, LOL.

...Thanks Rhonda :) Indeed that 'sagging Stang' syndrome is prominent in my others. I used to have air shocks on my 1st 390 that I needed to keep charged for tire clearance.

Oh, here's a sticker for ya ;-)

Attachments

• grn.jpg
    grn.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 39

Mustanglvr

Ha ha, I`m ahead of you Tim. I have been using the other one you did for the desktop background on my computer. Now I`m gonna change it to this one for awhile. You do good work. :)

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

mca said:
Well, now that the auction is over, and no word from the owner, I guess its a goner. In fact, he never answered any of my emails, and I did call him yearly on this car. During the auction I didn't feel it was appropriate to list the condition and details of the car. Anyway, the heads, crank, rods, and a/c system was from a '67 Cougar. The block was from a 360 c.i.d. engine (the bore is the same, the difference is in the rod stroke). I picked up the intake separately because the date code was close. All the engine accessories are from the '67. As far as the a/c the control unit on the driver side is a '67, slightly different than a '68. There was some minor rust through that was repaired on one of the rear quarters. The passenger side shock tower was gorilla stick welded along the front vertical section, why I don't know, but I grinded it down to look as close to factory as possible. The transmission was from a '67 Mustang. His creative photography made the rear end look like a 9 inch, but it is actually an 8". No build sheet was found. Believe it or not, but the 302 with close ratio 4 speed that was in it performed better than that 390 and wide ratio transmission. The grill and foglights were original. I had painstakingly measured the original side stripes and re-installed them in the exact location, to my much disappointment, during one of the phone calls he stated he had removed them because he thought it looked better without them (go figure). So now, that is lost forever on the history for the car, the current stripes are slightly off on the fenders, the angle is wrong on both sides of the wheel wells. The car had the original owners manual with protecto-plate, I hope he didn't throw that away.

I think you should have disclosed this during the auction. I talked to the owner during the auction on the phone and he did not bring up ANY of this. If I had bought the car and found this out AFTER paying for it I would be VERY upset.

Diesel Donna

We are talking about the car that toomanycars/stocksteelinc just bought right???

Canuck CSter

I think these to guys may have a past.....

If they do I hope they would settle it like men, ( get drunk and fight it out, or court ).

Anyhow, but please don't use this fine board and these great people to try to beat each or the is some high school pissing match.....

TAKE IT OUT SIDE BOYS......

Just my thoughts only and not a reflection of this group...

DR

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

Canuck CSter said:
I think these to guys may have a past.....

If they do I hope they would settle it like men, ( get drunk and fight it out, or court ).

Anyhow, but please don't use this fine board and these great people to try to beat each or the is some high school pissing match.....

TAKE IT OUT SIDE BOYS......

Just my thoughts only and not a reflection of this group...

DR

Dale

I don't see any kind of fighting going on here but rather facts being published.

Canuck CSter

You may be right and if so I'm sorry,

But this mca guy came on awhile saying please don't bid I love MY car, help me get it back..

If he did want the car to sell, and he had to say was this stuff in the first place.

I feel he is useing this board and our group for personal interests.

New guy with the car, coughs up some good coin, for the car and us all and I don't think he needs to here is crap from the peanut gallery...

I MAY be wrong but the facts show me I"M not. Time will tell I guess...

I hope I am...

I bet the commish could see whats going on here, sure hes has seen it all on his page..

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Maybe I'm missing something there, but I don't see that there's a problem. Is there some post I didn't read?

rvrtrash

I don't think so Jon. I took it as MCA is sorry he didn't bid enough to get his old car back and is trying to justify it in his mind. Same thing we've all done on cars we wished we hadn't sold or wished we'd bought.
Steve

68gt390

Myself, I feel the information MCA is putting here is a good thing. If I were a new owner on a particular car and a previous owner published some repair history, whatever dealing with that car I sure as heck would want to know. It would make searching for items wrong with the vehicle easier for me in the long run and save me some time. Myself, I don't see a problem. Whether those are actual facts as they relate to this particular car I'm sure toomanycars/Steve will check for himself as he goes through the resto process. Either way, it's good history to know.

Jon; You didn't miss anything.

Don

MUSTANGBOY34

390 cs on ebay

Guys and Gals, there is an old saying that empty cans make the most noise. It sure sounds like mca has his nose out of joint. I had spoken to the owner also he had said that yes people did contact him on the car, and yes he answered every question either by phone or by email. When I confronted him with the question that was somebody trying to contact him about buying the car before the auction. he said he never heard from anyone trying to buy it and especially someone who owned the car before and wanted to buy it back.
I had mentioned to him about this website and what somebody (mca) was stating, and to his knowledge he said none of that made any sense to him. as far as he could tell the car was pretty original, now I am not saying he is an expert however he does own a couple of older cars and seems to know a little bit about them. Something smells fishy here!!!!!

Steve if you need a litlle help taken him out back to the woodshed give me a call.

toomanycars

390 gt/cs on ebay

Hello everyone,
I didn't think I would be posting again untill I got the car in and was telling you all how nice of a car it is. How wrong I was!!!
I have to tell you I am 52 yrs old with a heart condition,, I was sure reaching for my pills after I read mca's post today! After I recovered,I called the seller and showed him how to get onto this site and told him to read up on the coments on the sell of his car and I would call him back in a couple hours after we both cooled down. I talked to him for an hour plus later this afternoon. He is a very nice man,, he is retired, a huge car fan and a collector. We went over each and every issue that was brought up about the car and there has been no stick welding on the passenger side shock tower. He said he has never looked at the rear as to see if it was an 8in or 9in untill this afternoon. He assured me it is a 9in. He says you can tell by the bolt pattern. The heads are Gt, I guess again you can tell by the bolt pattern on the exhaust manifold. After talking to him I believe him!! The car is still being picked up and brought here. I want to assure you that I and mca have no past, this is not a grudge match that is going on. I have another gt/cs 289 2v and a 68 shelby gt-500 and I just thought this car would be perfect car to fill the space between them. I just wanted that car. I was not trying to get revenge, I have better ways to spend my time and money.
One thing for sure, time will tell !!!! I will let everyone know when it arrives!
Thanks again,
Steve

Canuck CSter

Mr. Steve,

I was not trying to form an opinion of you or a fight amungst the group.

I believe you to true and honest and have a good sense of humor to boot.

I just felt it was unfair of mca to take a jab at one of us with out a reply. I may be the least knowledgeable of cars in general of the whole great group of us and know my place.

But if someone picks a fight with one, he deserve some backing ( might be the hockey player in me )

This page is about mutual respect and admeration for theses cars, thou diverse beliefs and opinions of all different members are accepted.

Disrespect for one another should not be tolarated.

I hope you keep the car and make us all proud as a gt/cs owner, which I'm sure you will after your last post.

And again wanted to welcome you to are group.

The burdon of being in a special group is the ones that are on the outside looking in our envious.

Screw'em I say, if MCA really wanted the car that bad he should have bid more cash......Rather than rely on slander.

Just my thoughts....

DR in Ottawa

toomanycars

Canuck CSter said:
Mr. Steve,

I was not trying to form an opinion of you or a fight amungst the group.

I believe you to true and honest and have a good sense of humor to boot.

I just felt it was unfair of mca to take a jab at one of us with out a reply. I may be the least knowledgeable of cars in general of the whole great group of us and know my place.

But if someone picks a fight with one, he deserve some backing ( might be the hockey player in me )

This page is about mutual respect and admeration for theses cars, thou diverse beliefs and opinions of all different members are accepted.

Disrespect for one another should not be tolarated.

I hope you keep the car and make us all proud as a gt/cs owner, which I'm sure you will after your last post.

And again wanted to welcome you to are group.

The burdon of being in a special group is the ones that are on the outside looking in our envious.

Screw'em I say, if MCA really wanted the car that bad he should have bid more cash......Rather than rely on slander.

Just my thoughts....

DR in Ottawa

Hello DR,
What??? A hockey player in canada!! What a surprise!!
Lets remember. only a fool is for certin!! mca may be trying to tell us something and I for one do not want to listen! He may be right and the seller may be full of it!! Mca might have bid all he could, and as far as the slander issue goes we will know for sure after i have time to have the car checked out.

Thanks for the support.
Steve

Last edited:

toomanycars

390cs68rcode said:
I think you should have disclosed this during the auction. I talked to the owner during the auction on the phone and he did not bring up ANY of this. If I had bought the car and found this out AFTER paying for it I would be VERY upset.

You feel my pain!!! Just think, during the auction it could be called slander!! after the auction it's just noise! Time will tell.