• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

390 CS on Ebay

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

BroadwayBlue said:
Or ... he was trying to draw attention to it and get a bidding war started ... :ponder:

if so it did not work. I was the high bidder at that time then became the high bidder again, even after the seller lowered the reserve.

jk89cat

rvrtrash said:
I had a car once that I sold, and regretted before the guy even paid for it. I let it go down the road because I gave my word he could have it. If I could find it again I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I might tell my story in hopes someone wouldn't bid too high but I would never ask them not to bid. If the bidding went over what I was willing to pay, then I guess I really didn't want it back that bad. Bottom line, if I want it-I pay what needs to be paid.
Steve

i feel you pain steve, i have a few i sold that i wished i hadnt, i am currently comtemplating which of my fleet of 5 to sell and what to keep , its not an easy equation

calspcl

It been pretty hush -hush on this site regarding this car. With 3 hours left, it will be interesting to see the results. Considering they only made about 111 of these with the engine/trans option, its a rare pony and will not be cheap. I wish "MCA" good luck in getting his old love back, and anyone else on the site looking for the elusive "big block"

68gt390

calspcl said:
It been pretty hush -hush on this site regarding this car. With 3 hours left, it will be interesting to see the results. Considering they only made about 111 of these with the engine/trans option, its a rare pony and will not be cheap. I wish "MCA" good luck in getting his old love back, and anyone else on the site looking for the elusive "big block"

Since I have one of those 111 GT/CS's, I've been watching this very intently. Considering the condition of this car (still needs some work) will be interesting to see where it winds up. I love the way he states the car is all original - wrong. Incorrect woodgrain dash, wrong shifter and shift knob (Hurst), there are evident problems under the hood, and to look at that undercarriage and not cringe. Just a few items that need to be corrected. I'm sure there are more once you really get close and inspect it. One would think if your going to list a car of this nature and rareity, you would at least clean it up a little.

Don

Last edited:
OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

I NEVER take a sellers word when they say "All Original"

remember I talked to the seller on the phone and he is not what I call a "details person". He kinda knows old cars but specifics, nope.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

it sold for $36,200. I am slightly suprised at this number. looks like 2 guys put in big bids in the last minute.

twoclassics

Wow that is great, since my x code is 1 of 1 , the price of tea just went up in China, put I really expected this because they are finally getting their due Chuck

68gt390

390cs68rcode said:
it sold for $36,200. I am slightly suprised at this number. looks like 2 guys put in big bids in the last minute.

Jason;
Seeing the numbers on that one and it's condition, we should be in pretty good shape. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Don

mca

Actually, if you you delve a little deeper, you will notice bidding went up to 25K on the car, and the extra ten was between two people who put in high bids thinking they would well cover any lower bids by a wide margin - that was not the case for the winning bidder, as I am sure the winner didn't think it would spike that high. So in actuality, it would be more accurate to use the 25K, and even put a little icing on it to make it a little more palatable. Also, I will be a little suprised if the winning bidder actually follows through on the sale. If you look at his feedback, he has backed out once before on a Mustang purchase. Also his name appears to be a dealer. He will be waiting quite awhile before he can flip this car for a profit.

Mosesatm

I'm not sure you can tell all that by the posted bid numbers. EBay doesn't show the automatic bids, only the manual ones, so we don't know how many automatic bids there are between those posted numbers. But like you said it will be interesting to see if the winner backs out and the car relists.

calspcl

At the third hour when I posted, (23K), I had a feeling there was going to be a bidding war. My thoughts were an easy 30 K.

My thoughts are any Big block GT/Cs is the "right stuff", for the lack of better words.... 36K was a chunk of change for this car, but do the math. It had all "the right stuff,"

There may only be 50 of these cars in existences at this point in time, making it a tuff find.

(MCA) go after the seller, this is your lost love. Hopefully the E-bay buyer will "chump out" and you will have a shot at your old friend. Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

Dan

mca

Thanks Dan. I already have, a few minutes after the end of the auction, I emailed the seller to let me know if they back out of it.

Canuck CSter

There may only be 50 of these cars in existences at this point in time, making it a tuff find.

I have heard the number of maybe 30 % left from original 111 production numbers, puts the existance closer to 30 than 50.

Besides think anyone with a r code would sell ( coarse if they did Jason would out bid us all ) so the s code sit pretty high in the evolutionary power chain to me, with the 4 sp by a nose over the automatic.

But just my thoughts and I'AM bias..

DR in Ottawa ( s code owner since 87 )

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif
Talking

calspcl

I am already envious of Jason. -bad speling He has the "sheet,' 68.5 (R) code.

MCA, as my future wife says, " if its ment to be, it ment to be"

I hate it when she says that! : )

hookedtrout

mca said:
Actually, if you you delve a little deeper, you will notice bidding went up to 25K on the car, and the extra ten was between two people who put in high bids thinking they would well cover any lower bids by a wide margin - that was not the case for the winning bidder, as I am sure the winner didn't think it would spike that high. So in actuality, it would be more accurate to use the 25K, and even put a little icing on it to make it a little more palatable. Also, I will be a little suprised if the winning bidder actually follows through on the sale. If you look at his feedback, he has backed out once before on a Mustang purchase. Also his name appears to be a dealer. He will be waiting quite awhile before he can flip this car for a profit.

Actually if you bid to win you place the highest bid you are willing to pay, you bid what it's worth to you, period. You don't bid $36,000 to cover lower bids or anything else for that matter, you bid $36,000 only if you are willing to pay $36,000. Therfore the bid is what the winner felt the car was worth to him which means these 390 cars are worth around $36,000 right now on the open market not $25,000.

Cory

68gt390

Well said Cory. I know last year while at the MCA Grand Nationals in Youngstown, Ohio, I had a gentleman who offered me $36,500 for my car at the show. Before I could even reply to him my girlfriend looked at him and gave a small laugh and said your kidding me. He then looked at me and said well. I looked at him and said she just gave you your answer. I wasn't trying to be condisending or anything like that but, she did pretty much give him his answer. Whats funny about the whole thing was there were six CS's at the show and mine was the only big block. I checked with several of the other CS owners as to anyone making offers on their cars and they said nope - no offers made here. On the other side of the coin, I've had several folks tell me to put my CS out there on ebay with a high reserve and see what it does. I won't do that for several reasons - 1. It's not fair to the general public to set something up like that, 2. My car is not for sale and 3. I'd be afraid somebody would meet the reserve and then I'd have to sell my car. :icon_no:

Don

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

hookedtrout said:
Actually if you bid to win you place the highest bid you are willing to pay, you bid what it's worth to you, period. You don't bid $36,000 to cover lower bids or anything else for that matter, you bid $36,000 only if you are willing to pay $36,000. Therfore the bid is what the winner felt the car was worth to him which means these 390 cars are worth around $36,000 right now on the open market not $25,000.

Cory

I hate to sound like a party pooper but one car sold does not make a market price. It can factor into the market price as a whole. I bought my 390 CS for CONSIDERABLY less than what this one sold for. How many other confirmed sales of 390's do we have?

Are all 289/302 CS's selling for 49k right now because of the BJ auction?

case12

As mentioned in a previous post, in October 2004 I could have bought a 390 fully documented CS for $17.5k advertised asking price. It was in excellent show condition (not concourse) - acaplulco blue with white interior - a real beauty. I tried to bargain to $14.5k, and didn't get it. I wish I had bought it for the asking price. I couldn't guess what it would take to get the same car today - probably 2X what the asking price was - a lot of price change in 1.5 years. Casey

68gt390

case12 said:
As mentioned in a previous post, in October 2004 I could have bought a 390 fully documented CS for $17.5k advertised asking price. It was in excellent show condition (not concourse) - acaplulco blue with white interior - a real beauty. I tried to bargain to $14.5k, and didn't get it. I wish I had bought it for the asking price. I couldn't guess what it would take to get the same car today - probably 2X what the asking price was - a lot of price change in 1.5 years. Casey

Casey;
I bought mine back in 04 out of Seattle and paid $16,500 for it. That has turned out to be the best $16K I've ever invested. Car wasn't even what I would call show quality but, over the past 2 years it has come a long way.

Don