CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 08/22/2002, 08:11 AM   #1

change engine? yes or no

i have an in-line six gt/cs and my uncle has a 351 that need work should i fix up the 351 and drop it in my gtcs or keep the 6. ???
Old 08/22/2002, 12:09 PM   #2
68sunlitgold
My Car Details

GT/CS nut

Re:change engine? yes or no

Climberben,
The answer is the always popular "what do you want out of your GT/CS. If you want it to retain its value and rarity, you need to keep it original. Now if you want a car with more power and top end speed, then go with the engine swap. Either way, KEEP the original engine. Remember, once you change an antique, which is now a restomod, it is now something you like, but the down side is that it does not appeal to the true antique mustang owner. So if you do not plan on selling it any time soon, then go ahead and make the change.
Doug
68sunlitgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2002, 05:20 PM   #3
C160223
My Car Details

As most people would say " It's your car, do what you want to do with it " but since you ask for an opinion, I would have to say no. Not too many California Specials were equipped with the 6 cyl. so it's unique that it should be kept original. Of all the GT/CS's I've seen (about 20 - 25 different ones) up here in Lower Mainland of BC, Canada, I have yet to see a 6 cylinder GT/CS.

John

C160223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2002, 06:35 AM   #4
StraightSix

Quite correct, John. As I stated in my post on the old boards, Approximately 3% (about 130) of all GT/CS Mustangs were 6-cylinder cars. That's pretty rare for an already-rare car.

Personally, I'm a handling nut. Though the Mustang isn't a Lotus, the 6-cylinder cars are the best handling of the bunch. To me, they're closer to the "pony car" ideal than the big V8 cars are. I consider the V8's (well, except maybe the 289's -- love that engine!) to be more on the "muscle car" end of the spectrum. I guess it all comes down to what you want. With the amount of swapping that should be done for a good 6-to-8 conversion (engine plus related components plus suspension stuff plus hubs and brakes, plus...), it seems to me that once you go down that path, the car isn't likely to return to its original condition -- even if you keep all of the old parts. It just doesn't happen very often.

-Winston
StraightSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2002, 07:51 AM   #5
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

Just your friendly neighborhood webmaster...

My Garage

Good point StraightSix. Climberben may not realize that it's more involved than just swapping out the motor. All the suspension, axles, brakes, etc. should also be upgraded for safety.

Especially with a 351. Running an engine that heavy/powerful with stock (34 year old) 6 cyl drum brakes is not a smart move.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2002, 07:02 AM   #6
StraightSix

[quote author=admin link=board=1;threadid=20;start=0#47 date=1030114281]
Especially with a 351. Running an engine that heavy/powerful with stock (34 year old) 6 cyl drum brakes is not a smart move.
[/quote]

You might just end up helping the neighbors with their new dining room/garage project :)

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/bigtigrrr/lst?.dir=/GTCS

-Winston
Old 08/26/2002, 07:47 AM   #7
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

My Garage

Awww! You can't tease us with a lead in like that and then not have a working link! :-[
Old 08/26/2002, 08:26 AM   #8
StraightSix

Now it should work...

-Winston
Old 08/26/2002, 09:12 AM   #9
admin
Administrator
My Car Details

My Garage

Ouch! :-X Where'd you find that photo?
Old 08/26/2002, 09:18 AM   #10
StraightSix

I believe that it was on mustangmonthly.com... can't remember for sure. You can bet that I was surprised to see a GT/CS tail poking out of that house! Whatever the text surrounding the picture was, I do remember that it made no mention that the car was a GT/CS! I just found it by luck...

-Winston
Old 08/26/2002, 04:46 PM   #11
climberben

Thanks im going to keep the six. thanks for changing my mind i was going to make a big mistake. I took it to my first car show this friday and peoples jaws hit the floor it was so cool. Thanks again
climberben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2002, 04:53 PM   #12
C160223
My Car Details

[quote author=climberben link=board=1;threadid=20;start=0#86 date=1030405566]
Thanks im going to keep the six. thanks for changing my mind i was going to make a big mistake. I took it to my first car show this friday and peoples jaws hit the floor it was so cool. Thanks again
[/quote]

Glad to hear your keeping the 6 cyl, just think of all gas you will be saving ;D

John
C160223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2002, 06:33 AM   #13
StraightSix

Ben,

You won't be disappointed in your choice. The 200CID I6 is a nice, torquey engine (about 200 lb-ft max) and provides good acceleration off the line. You'll have no problem breaking the tires free if you so desire :) If you do want to hop up the performance of your engine there are several bolt-on/easy take-off upgrades you can do:

-exhaust headers
-Duraspark ignition (from 70's Fords)
-Carter YF carb (from 70's Fords)

Get the full scoop from the I6 performance gurus:

www.fordsix.com

Visit the Forums there... you'll find plenty of useful info. Of course, if you're into shows and "jaw dropping" is what you're after, you'll do better with an original car. Have fun!

-Winston
Old 08/27/2002, 06:12 PM   #14
lwlw
My Car Details

:D
Notice your "rear-end" had IL plates. Whereabout are you in IL?? We are new owners of a GT/CS in IL too! In Chicago right around Midway airport.
lwlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2002, 08:33 PM   #15
climberben

lwlw im near there in dupage in downers grove maby i will see you at a car show ;D
climberben is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions