• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Seat Cover Change

dalorzo_f

The rear seat can be resistant to moving. The "clips" can be firm, I've found a gentle nudge with the heel of your palm, or a knee for more recalcitrant ones, on the front of the seat bottom right above the clip has worked for me.... can break it loose if it hasn't moved in a few decades.

As Neil notes, in many cases you can just give it a good lift and they pop free....

OP
OP
J

Jester

Ha ha, so much for the local mustang knowledge in my village. So lift, ok. No pushing back at all? I guess knowing where the clips are located would help me as well..

Mosesatm

You may need to push the seat back a little if they have never been removed. The two clips are pretty close to being under the center (side to side) of each sitting position.

OP
OP
J

Jester

Thanks. I shouldn't have asked. I just went down to the garage and with Neils instructions the seats where out in one minute.

My quarter trim panels are in a bad shape and scratched up. They are just painted plastics and I was looking at buying new, but they are pretty expensive. I saw there was upholstery kits for these available:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/upholstery-quarter-trim-panel-pair-coupe-1965-1966/p/QT1-V/

I'm not sure if these will fit my panels or if they are made only for specific panels that originally had upolstery. Anyone knows? Since it is only 10% of the price of new panels I thought it was an idea..

Second option is to repaint them.

franklinair

IIRC, the Deluxe interior uses the padded inside 1/4 panels.
If you opt to repaint them, I would recommend stripping them first so as not to fill in the grain.

Neil

OP
OP
J

Jester

As usual with this project most parts are fitted with only one screw when there should be 5. Also goes for the Interior quarter Trim Panels. In a way its good when you disassemble.. Well, I need to find the correct screws. I found these at CJ but it doesnt seem right. Since I dont have the original screws I dont know what they should look like. I appreciate a pointer. Thanks.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/68-cp-1-4-trim-panels-hardware-only-1968/p/F874/

OP
OP
J

Jester

And what about this? Should it really be one long and one short window crank for the fron doors? The long was on the drivers side. Which one is correct?

Attachments

• IMG_3684.JPG
    IMG_3684.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 23

Mosesatm

The short one is for cars that have the speaker grilles at the bottom of the doors.

robert campbell

I think Arlie meant to say interior décor group (deluxe interior) door grills that extend from side to side at the bottom of your door that contain the door lights. The speaker in a door was another option.

You should have two short ones if your car has the deluxe interior option. And rolling down the widow one time with the grill in place and the longer handle will demonstrate to your knuckles why the short one was used...... Ouch!

Rob

franklinair

I opted NOT to install the door grills, as I prefer the kick panel speakers instead (larger speakers/better sound), and the "interior" light in the grill is virtually useless when the door is opened. And if you turn on the interior lights when the doors are Closed, the grill light only illuminates the side of the bottom seat cushion.

Neil

dalorzo_f

On the question of "which one goes where" for the rear interior 1/4

1. the black one with the washer head goes at the bottom front, thru the carpet. Should be a hole in the quarter trim on the lower lip of the panel, can be tricky to find the hole in the body and line it up. A hot nail or small screwdriver can be used to melt a hole in the carpet at the right spot to ease installation and reduce binding of carpet on screw.
2. the short oval head goes under the handle (have seen black ones here as well, FAM calls out S9, zinc)
3. the pan head goes on the tab on the upper rear and holds the panel to the rear seat support. (have seen numerous cars where these are not used)

The FAMs are great references for this type of stuff, I'd strongly suggest getting a set and the AMK Guide To Ford Fasteners, as the two make identifying these types of issues a piece of cake (most of the time!). The FAM shows location and gives part number, the FAM allows defining the specific part when in question.

Can also be used to verify if existing fasteners are correct, or a PO "it fits"....

HTH

robert campbell

Dad,
Back in my courting days in the early 70's I found the door lights very cool and somewhat useful when entering the car at night. Of course I always washed my car before the date and wiped down all the sill and jam areas of water. Never know if my date might have a long dress and not like it to get wet or dirty.

And of course I always opened the door for my date and still do for my lovely wife. The courtesy lights and the door lights are quite impressive in my mind after dark leaving the restaurant or movie house.

Couple these with the rear courtesy interior lights of a Fastback and you always want to ensure you do not leave them on. With all these interior lights, battery death was quick!

Rob

Mosesatm

I think Arlie meant to say interior décor group (deluxe interior) door grills that extend from side to side at the bottom of your door that contain the door lights. The speaker in a door was another option.

You should have two short ones if your car has the deluxe interior option. And rolling down the widow one time with the grill in place and the longer handle will demonstrate to your knuckles why the short one was used...... Ouch!

Rob

If a car had an 8-track it came with the speaker/light grilles.

Ruppstang

If a car had an 8-track it came with the speaker/light grilles.

In 67 a 8 track was the only way to get door speakers. All radios were mono in 67. It caught my attention when I looked at a 67 coupe with a standard interior with the door grills. It had the speakers but no lights and was orignal.

Mosesatm

That's what my Presidential Blue car had - an 8-track with speakers but no lights.

In '68 think the AM/FM radio option also included the door speakers but I certainly won't swear to that.

Ruppstang

That's what my Presidential Blue car had - an 8-track with speakers but no lights.

In '68 think the AM/FM radio option also included the door speakers but I certainly won't swear to that.

You are correct it did.