• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Seat Cover Change

OP
OP
J

Jester

My car is without door speakers so I shall find a replacement long crank. The quarter trim panels are in the paint shop now and I was thinking painting the front doors at the same time to make sure I get the same shade, but the door is one piece isn't it? Apart from the trim panel, the inner panel of the door can not be removed from the door, can it?

franklinair

The inside door sheetmetal is not removable. Your painter should be able to furnish you with the same paint as 1/4 trim panels.

Neil

Ruppstang

My car is without door speakers so I shall find a replacement long crank. The quarter trim panels are in the paint shop now and I was thinking painting the front doors at the same time to make sure I get the same shade, but the door is one piece isn't it? Apart from the trim panel, the inner panel of the door can not be removed from the door, can it?

All models of Mustang should use the shorter cranks. The longer ones were used on the Ford full sized cars.
Marty

dalorzo_f

Marty, when you say shorter do you mean the same as the rear 1/4?

I have seen posts in the past on VMF where some were saying the fronts and rears are the same length. I don't see that on any of my '68 as the front is a similar "split shank" design, but is longer by a bit (maybe a bit less than an inch...)

Ruppstang

Marty, when you say shorter do you mean the same as the rear 1/4?

I have seen posts in the past on VMF where some were saying the fronts and rears are the same length. I don't see that on any of my '68 as the front is a similar "split shank" design, but is longer by a bit (maybe a bit less than an inch...)

Frank they are very near the same length as the rear. You should find the part number on the back of the window crank.
The only part number listed is C8AB-7630322 . The screw cover part number is C8AB-6223362.

Also FYI the window crank angle is set at 52 1/2 degrees forward slanting from a level plane.
Marty

OP
OP
J

Jester

The quarter trim panels and the Masonite board are back from the paintshop and reinstalled. Doing the upholstery I found I need new burlap and new foam for the rear seat back rest. I have been trying to find this at npd, cj, tmi etc but only find full kits including upholstery. Since I already have the upholstery i only need the foam. Anyone knows a good source?

OP
OP
J

Jester

...guess it's not foam but cotton batting? In bad shape is it anyways... Hard to tell how it was when it was new. Should the foam/cotton be going over the top of the back rest as well, or should it just be burlap on top?

rvrtrash

You should be able to buy both the burlap and foam at a large fabric store. If you're also doing the seat bottom, you'll need two different thicknesses. The foam over the center hump is thinner.

steve