• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

World's fastest motorsport...

Midnight Special

...and our namesake (P-51) Mustangs in all forms racing by at between 400 and 480 mph!

'Spent four days under the pylons north of Reno, NV and the National Championship Air Races as a press photographer... Speed, beauty, and Oooh - the sound!! Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• re1.jpg
    re1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 19
  • re13.jpg
    re13.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 60
  • re3.jpg
    re3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 18
  • re6.jpg
    re6.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 17
  • re9.jpg
    re9.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 15
  • re7.jpg
    re7.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 16
  • re15.jpg
    re15.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 15
  • re4.jpg
    re4.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

rvrtrash said:
I want one!

Steve

Mmmm... Probably not if you had to pay over $100K just to replace an engine like this poor guy! The heads & what's left of the crank is all that's holding the block together!! Add to that - if we blow an engine, all we have to do is pull off the road trailing smoke, oil and disappointment. The pilot told me that he had precisely one minute to "properly manage gravity and inertia" to be able to get on the ground & tell us what happened... Scary stuff!

Attachments

• m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 24
  • m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 21

rvrtrash

New info every day. I'd always heard that the big spinny thing on the front was just a fan to keep the pilot cool. The proof was that if it stopped spinning, he started sweating.:grin:
Steve

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

rvrtrash said:
New info every day. I'd always heard that the big spinny thing on the front was just a fan to keep the pilot cool. The proof was that if it stopped spinning, he started sweating.:grin:
Steve

Yeah, & he likely started something else (ing) ;-)

marie68csmustangs

Midnight Special said:
...and our namesake (P-51) Mustangs in all forms racing by at between 400 and 480 mph!

'Spent four days under the pylons north of Reno, NV and the National Championship Air Races as a press photographer... Speed, beauty, and Oooh - the sound!! Enjoy! :)

... and Oh, the smell :)) Well, wish that I was there :)) Maybe next year.. Tim...

Marie

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

marie68csmustangs said:
... and Oh, the smell :)) Well, wish that I was there :)) Maybe next year.. Tim...

Marie

Yeah, the military had some kerosene burners there too. A few passes were close enough for a good "wiff" amidst horizontal tornados emitting from the wingtips... Exciting!

Attachments

• re15.jpg
    re15.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 53
  • re16.jpg
    re16.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 17
  • re17.jpg
    re17.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 17
  • re18.jpg
    re18.jpg