• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Race Day Results, Battle for the Title of World's Fastest GTCS

OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

Just for fun...

The Green Hornet (EXP-500), back in 1970, did a best time of 14.043 sec. in the quarter.

A 3940 lb car (w/ driver), and a 3.00 rear.

Converted MPH was 101.35

Goodyear F60-15 Tires, 26 lbs. air.

"Shelbyized" EFI 428 CJ engine and C-6 Auto.

Romeo Proving Grounds, Michigan.

-Paul N.

Interesting Info Paul! thanks for sharing that. 3940lbs seems heavy...but i guess the big block and C6 and the beefier suspension associated with the car is what makes it soo much heavier than my car. That and the fact that the driver was probably alot heavier than me too :)

joedls

Hey Joe, thanks for pointing this out. I ran the numbers myself and i know what you are talking about. I believe my tach is very good, i don't think that is the issue.

There are two factors that change your calculations...
1)Rolling Circumference....i can guarantee that my tires are not 26" in diameter anymore Hahaha..im sure i've burned off at least a 1/4" on both sides...so i'd figure 25.5" diameter. But running the calculations with the circumference associated with a 25.5" diameter would put me at 119.944mph @ 6500rpm or 118.099mph @ 6400rpm...so why was i only doing approx 113mph at 6400-6500rpm crossing the lights before the nitrous? maybe because...
2) Slippage of the torque converter? If i was supposed to be doing 119.944mph @ 6500rpm and i was only doing say 113mph then the slippage in the torque converter is 5.79%. If i was supposed to be doing 118.099mph @6400rpm and i was only doing say 113mph then the slippage in the torque converter is 4.3%.

These percentages seem kind of high though. Shouldn't i only lose 1-2% once the converter is "locked up"?

well any way i look at it....i think im going to end up trying a 28" diameter tire, i just need to make sure it will fit, based on the width of my 9" rear end, backspacing and offset of my rims and spacers and the inside of my wheel wells

Do you have a lock-up torque converter? If so, you won't get any slippage. The lock-up will effectively change the converter into a purely mechanical coupling, so no slippage.

But either way, I think you're on the right track with a 28" tire.

joedls

SO IS THE RACE ON OR NOT? Let's settle this matter. I can't wait!

I don't know. I doubt if David would want to drive to Sacramento just to get kicked off the track. Or maybe he has plans to install a rollbar.

Now, if we each tried to dial in our cars to 11.50, that could be interesting.

OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

I don't know. I doubt if David would want to drive to Sacramento just to get kicked off the track. Or maybe he has plans to install a rollbar.

Now, if we each tried to dial in our cars to 11.50, that could be interesting.

Yes...I want a cage...i need to save up to do a really nice, custom one, because i only want to spend the money once and do it right, rather than cheap. I want to do a racing seat and 5 point harnesses as well. I also need some nitrous accessories. Like a bottle heater with pressure valve and downturn tube. I also still need to order the skinny front rims for the tires i have already purchased. Then, i also need to buy 28x9.0-15 D05 Slicks. Then a fiberglass cowl hood and glass front fenders...mucho dinero verdad?

In regards to Sacramento, i wouldn't drive up there. I would need a flatbed tow, because i only get 100 miles to the tank just puttin it on the freeway so i would have to fill up too many times to make it to sacramento. Maybe, i can get towed...we will see, May is still far away.