• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What Is The Correct Wheel? Covers - Styled Steel?

case12

I believe it is in Paul's book - the advertising was done before the scripts could be finished. The scripts were last minute add-on at the un-veiling. He shows the invoices for the scripts and the timing was close to the un-veiling at the dealers meeting. If you look close at the pictures of the dealers meeting in his book you can see the big advertising banner (same picture as this brochure) at the dealers meeting, and the real cars being shown on the floor have the scripts! (I end up explaining that at shows a lot). Casey

franklinair

My Marti sez Deluxe Wheel Covers. When I bought the car, it had the standard steel (black 14") wheels with what I thought were Deluxe Wheel Covers. I already had a set of Argent S/S from a prior car, and I opted to use them on my C/S because I prefer them, and they are correct for the car/year. gtcs1 PM'd me and told me the ones I have are Standard caps, not the Deluxe as my Marti states. If anyone needs or wants a set of 4 standard 14' wheels & caps, let me know. The biggest bugaboo is shipping costs - they are bulky & heavy. New Michelin tires are already mounted, but I have no need or use for them. The tires & wheels are in need of a good home!!
Neil Hoppe
(franklinair)

Last edited:

Duker

If the Marti Report states as mine does "Chrome Styled Steel Wheels" does this mean the rims were originally "shiny chrome" with the outer ring and the center cap?

OP
OP
@Holmes

@Holmes

Called up Monte Ford in California. After being passed around I spoke to a guy in the service deptment that had been there for thirty + years. He told me that the dealer would intentionaly order the Mustangs with the Dog Dish rims because the buyers would always upgrade to cragers ect. I asked him if they would have sold this car wiht the magnums. He said that it was not likely but when I told him the car was delivered in on 2/22 and not sold until 10/23 he said that it was possible. Customers were always changing the rims, covers ect at the time of purchase. Does this sound thike BS or what. Current owner said car had rims on it when he got it. Guess the only way to know is to hunt down orig owner. LOL. Anyway, its clear that the car had Dogs on it when produced.

BroadwayBlue

I'm sure it's possible and I'm sure their profit on the aftermarket wheels was better than factory.

It was probably a common practice. I'll give you an example that I had ...
I bought a Jeep Wrangler in 1992 I told the salesman I wanted that green one over there but I wanted the wheels off of another parked on the lot.

He said no problem and swapped the wheels on the 2 cars on the lot.

My sticker didn't say I had the alloy wheels but it was sold to me with alloy wheels from the factory. Not sure what they did when they sold the other car.

calspecialchic

This is a good question as I have been wondering the same thing. My marti report just says "wheel covers" as an option. but when I bought the car it had the chrome styled steel wheels with the GT hubcaps. My car is not a GT.
I am restoring mine right now and am looking at getting new wheels. Mine are not looking too good anymore. My brother painted them black a long time ago and they are not fixable from what I understand.
So, I was looking at putting them back as I bought the car with new chrome wheels and GT hubcaps. I do not want the wheel covers.
Can someone answer since my car is not a GT and it is not listed as an option, should I put on plain hubcaps? Or could this have been a dealer added option?
Thanks,

franklinair

I had the same question in mind. When I installed my argent S/S wheels. I bought a new set of non-GT center hubcaps & trim rings (from Virginia Mustang) as my car did not list the GT package either. I believe this to be the correct configuration. As a point of interest: my recollection of ORIGINAL trim rings is they were a somewhat burnished finish while the new ones now are polished and bright. Also, the chrome S/S wheels on the market today offer chrome finish on the outer rim, eliminating the need for the trim rings. I personally think they look better, but they are not truly correct.
Neil

BroadwayBlue

The GT wheel covers came from the factory on GT cars only.

The non-GT (blank) wheel covers were for all non-GT cars with the Styled Wheels.

Many of us have the GT wheel covers on our non-GT cars but we like the look and use those instead of the plain.

If you're going Concours, then you would use the plain on a non-GT car. Otherwise go with what you like.

Both of my CS's came with the GT caps from the previous owner and I left them on.

Last edited:

rvrtrash

I am restoring mine right now and am looking at getting new wheels. Mine are not looking too good anymore. My brother painted them black a long time ago and they are not fixable from what I understand.

They might be if you were willing to invest some elbow grease in them. It's hard to say without seeing them. I'm missing 1 chrome wheel but you wouldn't notice without really looking. You might be able to save yours by rubbing the paint your brother put on with laquer thinner. What I did to mine was use an extra standard GT wheel, bead blast it, and paint the outside edge (also the backside and inside where the tire mounts. I'm a perfectionist. I even painted my seat springs) black. I then painted the perforated part with a chrome colored paint. The cap and beauty ring cover most the wheel so most people don't notice the wheel isn't really chrome. Just something to think about.

Steve

calspecialchic

Thanks Steve. That is along the lines the guy doing the restoration talked about as an option. He said I could have them blasted and then painted with the argent color. I wanted to stay original so I was looking at keeping them chrome. My husband experimented on my spare tire with some chrome paint and it did not turn out good. But there was not much prep done before hand. He pretty much just sanded it and painted over it. It would not pass for chrome at all right now. Thanks for the tip cause it may be worth trying. All four new wheels are quite pricy.
Thanks Rich for answering the hubcap question. I will keep with the GT caps. I am getting new ones though cause mine are pretty banged up.
I like them and it is not a numbers matching concourse car, although, it should look pretty nice when its done. Fresh everything minus the bird droppings and dirt when you saw it.
This website has been so helpful. Thanks everyone.

BroadwayBlue

...Thanks Rich for answering the hubcap question. I will keep with the GT caps. I am getting new ones though cause mine are pretty banged up.
I like them and it is not a numbers matching concourse car, although, it should look pretty nice when its done. Fresh everything minus the bird droppings and dirt when you saw it...

No problem.
Yours was only the 2nd CS I ever saw in person that I didn't own and the first one since I've been a CS ownership. I still think the fact that your CS and mine were on the same truck is pretty wild.

It looked good bird droppings and all ... it was a CS how could it not look good? :wink:

Good Luck!

rvrtrash

My husband experimented on my spare tire with some chrome paint and it did not turn out good. But there was not much prep done before hand. He pretty much just sanded it and painted over it. It would not pass for chrome at all right now. Thanks for the tip cause it may be worth trying.

I forgot to mention that I primed the metal before I sprayed on the chrome. My bad. That might make all the difference.

Steve