• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What Is The Correct Wheel? Covers - Styled Steel?

@Holmes

For a non-GT GT/CS (?) what is the correct wheel? I don't think those mag stars are correct.

The Marti Report does not specify any wheel option such as Delux Wheel Covers or Styled Steel Wheels so is the standard wheel cover correct?

Attachments

• 564b_1.jpg
    564b_1.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 1small.bmp
    12.7 KB · Views: 40

PFSlim

Good question. My Marti Report does say Argent Styled Steel Wheels for my car. I would assume that if it does not say, then it would be regular wheels with hubcaps????

Paul

PFSlim

Mine are a little bit darker than they should be, but we liked the color contrast.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang482.JPG
    Stang482.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
@Holmes

@Holmes

Paul

In this 1968 GT/CS commercial (which depicts gt/cs drivers as dorks - get out of the car man and get the phone number! Whats with that deer in the headlight look!) Anyway this car is caped by the regular hub caps - which I think are correct for my car. Check it out

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Es5bJwW7O1Y

PFSlim

I know the hub caps you are talking about. There are several members on the site that have them. Hopefully, someone with them will respond as to where/what to get.

Paul

franklinair

My Marti Report states the car was ordered with "Deluxe Wheel Covers". I have a new set if you like. I opted to use Argent Styled Steel wheels when I bought the car.
Neil Hoppe

Last edited:
OP
OP
@Holmes

@Holmes

Well I guess it has to be the standard. Frank if your Marti says Delux then I'm sol. Plain jane covers for me. However, let me know in the furture before you sell cause I might change direction before its over. In the past I have had styled steel and hubs and as weird as this might seem I perfer the Delux.

C160223

My marti report states "wheel covers" as an option. Doesn't specify deluxe or standard, but I'm guessing standard hubcaps like you posted.

Not sure if the wheel covers you posted were standard on all 68's or if the 10¼" dog dish were standard? I'll have to check through my Ford literature and find out...

OP
OP
@Holmes

@Holmes

Dog Dish??? Oh man don't even suggest that. I would be very suprised if the basic wheel cover for a GT/Cs to be a dog dish. Man I hope my purchaser upgraded at the dealership - pleazzz no

GTCSMustang

Do you have any of the original steel wheels that came on the car? What color are they?

DLedin

While my CS qualifies as a GT (302-4V) it appears to have come with the wheel covers as shown in the first post (and the commercial). My Deluxe Marti report doesn't indicate what it came with. I've always assumed, since there were no other GT-related items on the car when I bought it, that the wheel covers were original.

-DLedin

franklinair

My J code 302-4V doesn't qualify as a GT. If it was a GT, the Marti Report would have listed the GT option (primarily a HD suspension package). It doesn't. However, it had the Deluxe wheel covers listed (as shown in the first thread by @HOLMES). I removed the original 14" wheels & caps and installed the Argent S/S wheels & caps which I prefer. I still have the original 4 wheels if anyone needs them.
Neil Hoppe

OP
OP
@Holmes

@Holmes

Well I am going to need some soon so send me a pm on the price. Thanks. Thanks for the correction. I'm not to familure with 69+ cars. Those magnums will see e-bay soon.

Of course my concern is the lack of any mention of wheel covers in the Marti report. Does anyone have a list of the standard options that came with the GTCS package? And worse would be that the option does not specify the type of wheel. Hopefuly someone can clear this up soon.

Thanks guys, as always

case12

The GT/CS had no special wheel covers. They were the same as any 68 Mustang. If your marti does not list a wheel cover on the options list (such as deluxe, rallye, etc). Then it came with the standard wheel every 68 mustang came with. Hope this helps. Casey

OP
OP
@Holmes

@Holmes

Franklin I noticed that your car was produced with 6.95 X 14-4 Ply WSW as was mine. Would this indicate they were dog dish?

BroadwayBlue

On the Marti Report

My 289 states "Deluxe Wheel Covers"

The 302 states "Wheel Covers"

I assumed the 302 were the dog dish and the Deluxe on the 289 are those in the picture at the top of the thread.

So some Marti Reports state nothing in regard to wheel covers? I would assume dog dish in that case. Just my opinion though.

I just looked quickly at the Marti Thread and the first 2 I looked at (RVTRASH and DLEDIN) have no wheel type specified on their report. Interesting.

Mosesatm

Here is a copy of the GT/CS sales brochure showing styled steel wheels, wire covers, and deluxe covers.

Attachments

• GTCS Brochure Inside Small Version.jpg
    GTCS Brochure Inside Small Version.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 38

Perkchiro

Neat piece. Note also the absence of the California Special emblems on the rear quarters. Must be an early advertising brochure. Your comments Paul?