• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Welded Shock Towers

CougarCJ

If we venture outside of San Jose GT/CS Mustangs, we should include a build date.
Since it is safe to say that GT/CS'a began Feb 1968.
I say this because big block cars didn't get the reinforced shock towers at the beginning of the of the 1968 model year.

limelyt

here is some photos of our shock towers when we did the restoration. J-code 302 ,GT equipped with 9"rear end 3:25. you can see the added welds

Gary

Attachments

• shock tower.jpg
    shock tower.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 36
  • shock tower 2.jpg
    shock tower 2.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

If we venture outside of San Jose GT/CS Mustangs, we should include a build date.
Since it is safe to say that GT/CS'a began Feb 1968.
I say this because big block cars didn't get the reinforced shock towers at the beginning of the of the 1968 model year.

Scott,
I find that odd as the S codes in 1967 did get the welds. My brothers 1967 Mustang (his Marti in this thread) is an S code without the GT option and it has the welds just like Val's S code GTA car.

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

here is some photos of our shock towers when we did the restoration. J-code 302 ,GT equipped with 9"rear end 3:25. you can see the added welds

Gary

Thanks Gary!!! Just what all the others look like. And I forgot Sportyworty's
1968 J code GT 4 speed that only has the welds on one side and has a 9 inch. His is yet another example.

Rob

CougarCJ

Scott,
I find that odd as the S codes in 1967 did get the welds. My brothers 1967 Mustang (his Marti in this thread) is an S code without the GT option and it has the welds just like Val's S code GTA car.

Rob

Sorry, I did not know that the added welds were a carry over from 1967. I knew that Ford recognized a weakness in the shock towers starting in 1967, but did not know that they began a remedy.
Starting in 1968, Mustangs received a passenger side torque box, which was not seen in 1967.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Scott,
I would love to get around a 1967 Mustang with the K code Hipo 289. Especially with the GT option. I wonder if they welded their shock towers? This is a bit off our 1968 subject, but still part of the puzzle in my mind.

Rob

J_Speegle

Scott,
I would love to get around a 1967 Mustang with the K code Hipo 289. Especially with the GT option. I wonder if they welded their shock towers?

I can supply you with pictures of them welded up - doesn't mean that they were originally ;) The few that were built were normally beat pretty hard.

Last 10 I've seen have either been restored (with plenty of panel replacement) or rusty originals

Mosesatm

Here are photos of the welds on the driver's side shock tower. The rear weld is so sloppy I thought a former owner (FO) performed the work.
Notice how the welding includes the angled top piece.

Do other cars we've found include welds on the angled portion of the shock towers or only on the vertical faces?

Attachments

• DSCN6359 (1000x750).jpg
    DSCN6359 (1000x750).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN6360 (1000x750).jpg
    DSCN6360 (1000x750).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 33