• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Vintage Wheel Works V50s

68P51

I need to purchase a set of wheels for my car when it gets out of the paint shop hopefully in a few months. What size do you think would look the best, 15x7 or 16x8? I want something fairly stock looking but I think slightly bigger wheels than stock look good. I think the 17's are too much. My car is mostly stock but not all original, it's not a numbers matching engine and I've never had the original wheels.

GT/CS S Code

16x8's ...

I bought a set of 16x8's Vintage Wheel Works American Racing Torque Thrust clones for my '65 Fastback. That size was highly recommended to get the best handling by Global West, the folks that I bought all my new front and rear suspension components from. They are very nice wheels with an awesome 60's retro look ...
:cool:

Attachments

• V45-16x8.jpg
    V45-16x8.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 35

sportyworty

I have a brand new set of V50's never mounted in the original boxes. They are 15x7's which in my opinion is the correct size for a 68. If you are interested we can discuss a fair price that would work for both of us. They will be substantially discounted from new replacement cost and can ship via Fedex with my discounted rate.
Thanks
Kerry

Last edited:

p51

IMO if you like (sorta) shiny stuff and want a "that looks 1968 but, somehow, a little different" look the 15x7 Shelby 10-spoke wheels with tire letters facing out is the way to go.

http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1968/1968_00042_06.jpg

If you want a larger wheel size than the 15x7 (or just want a meaner look) then the torque thrust wheels with the *darken* center spokes and chrome inside cap (like Bullitt mustang) with tire letters facing in is my favorite.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201103/limited-edition-stev_460x0w.jpg

Personally, I'm not a big fan of big wheels with lots of chrome... but that's just me...

Mosesatm

IMO the 15x7 ten spokes are hard to beat.

That said, I also think it depends on the car color(s). As much as I liked the look of the 10-spokes on my last car my new project is also aqua but it has a black vinyl top and black stripes so I'm going with Magnum 500s instead.

If you know how to use PhotoShop you may want to insert various wheels and tires on your car, or send me a photo and I'll do it for you.

With regrads to the 15" 10-spokes please be aware that the backspacing is only 3 7/8" instead of the normal 4", meaning they extend a little more towards the fender lips so fat tires may rub the fenders.

PS, my car was lowered 1" at the tail and probably 1 1/2" in the front so that created some of the rubbing issues.

Here are photos with black walls and with RWL. The car wasn't lowered in the photo with the RWL tires.

Attachments

• Robs House 1 Small.jpg
    Robs House 1 Small.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 122

franklinair

I like these: (stock suspension, no clearance issues.)

Neil

Attachments

• My Pictures 048.jpg
    My Pictures 048.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 87

CougarCJ

If you are thinking of 16 inch wheels and tires, I would strongly suggest that you test fit them first.
Depending upon the width, they can interfere with the upper control arm. 17's and 18's work better, if you want to go big.

Global West has their own front suspensions and spindles which are more forgiving with wider wheels.

OP
OP

68P51

Well my car is finally getting close to being done and the wheels and tires are the last big purchase. I've decided to get the 15x7 V50s. Does anyone know of a place to get a good deal on them? It seems most places have about the same price.

Thanks.