• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 vacuum advance

hcsstang

On a 302 four barrel auto. and no air. All that I have is a plug in the thermosate housing. By the book it should have distributor control valve or something like a christmas tree. it should have the right colored hoeses. One should connect one of under the snout of the air clearner. I don't have connection mine is bare. I was wondering what other 302 motors have?

CougarCJ

What you are missing is a thermal vacuum switch.

It was an emissions device.

Unless you are leaning towards concours, plug your vacuum advance hose to "Ported" vacuum on your carburetor.

GTCSMustang

There are three ports on the thermal vacuum switch. One goes to the vacuum advance, one to the carb, and one to the back of the intake manifold.

Scott

OP
OP
H

hcsstang

Did any of the 302 come without the thermal vaccum switch. I was wondering why the previous owner would switch the air cleaner when you could just remove the hose.

GTCSMustang

All 302 Mustangs should have the thermal vacuum switch (thing on the thermostat housing). Later air cleaner snorkles did not have the servo motor (vacuum powered). When was your car built?

Scott

franklinair

See page 9-25 of the '68 Shop Manual. It shows routing & color codes.

Neil

OP
OP
H

hcsstang

I have the shop manual. But I was wondering why the previous owner would replace the air cleaner when all that was necessary was to just remove the hose.

GTCSMustang

You can call me if you want. I have two J-code Mustangs. One early and one late.

Scott (760) 371-1214

6t8-390gt

Tom,
Here is a picture of an early (December '67) J-code motor. You can clearly see the vacuum lines in this picture. The blue striped hose should not be present on your car. The blue striped hose was for the vacuum motor on the air cleaner snorkle and your car should not have it. The hose laying on top of the intake goes to the distributor vacuum advance.

t87odg.jpg

6t8-390gt

Here is a picture of the two types of snorkles used in '68; you should have the one without the vacuum motor (pictured on the right). It is a NOS unit. The air cleaner base is the same for both early and late J-code motors.

fw117t.jpg

6t8-390gt

The engine was built for a San Jose, J-code GT Coupe. TEAMLO is a member here and it is his car (although not a GT/CS). The carb is an Autolite 4300, a 4 spd. carb was used for some of the pictures and the correct (for this application) Autolite 4300 auto carb was used for others. Some of the pictures I was just mocking it up to ensure I had no issues.

Tom,
If you need anything else give me a call or send me an e-mail or PM.

Danny