• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Upper Control Arm Shims?

nfrntau

I started to install my front suspension yesterday and ran into a problem with the 90 degree zirts sticking out too far. I ordered a little bit slimmer version and should have them in a few days.

While talking to the guy about the zirts, he asked me if I had installed the shims or not. When I dissassembled my car there were no shims between the upper control arms and the shock towers.

Do any of your GT/CS's have shims located here?
I want to make sure it's right before I get it back together and have problems.

Photo attached, p.s. the little gold sticker will be gone before it goes in final.

Attachments

• P2060660.jpg
    P2060660.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 25

Perkchiro

No shims provided with my suspension kit. What's your supplier talking about?
Steve

rvrtrash

The big Fords, like Galaxies and trucks use shims to adjust the camber. Mustangs use an eccentric bushing on the lower control arm. You don't need one, unless for some reason the lower control arm can't be adjusted far enough, like if there is frame or shock tower damage.
Steve

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Thanks guys. I didn't think there was supposed to be any shims but wanted to make sure. He did mention adjusting camber so maybe he had his vehicles mixed up.

Russ

Shims were used on the '65-'66 Mustangs, but not on the '67 and '68. There are special zert fittings for the upper control arms that you can order. Originally the upper arms were lubricated and then plugs were installed where you would place a zert fitting. If you are going to show your car, plugs are required. I think if you lubed the arms and installed the plugs, you would be fine. Just my thoughts,

Russ

Last edited:

hcsstang

Before the youngstown I replaced what I though were all the fittings. I missed one in the drive shaft. If the dog gone fitting would of been up they would of missed it but no it had to be turned down. I have seen some mustangs where a hole was cut in the shock for the mechanic to grease the suspension. Should the control arm be natural on one end?

Russ

My lime gold car has natural springs and upper control arms. The plugs are a clear pink/red color, so they are easy for the judges to spot.

It seems it was a common practice for garages to "torch" through the shock towers to gain access and lube the upper arms. It was also common for shops to remove the plugs and replace them with zert fittings, making the plugs somewhat hard to find. Once the towers are torched, it's quite a chore to repair them properly.

Russ

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Russ said:
Once the towers are torched, it's quite a chore to repair them properly.

Russ

I'll second that!! A previouos owner torched boths side front and back and installed zirts.

I don't intend on entering MCA events so the zirt fittings are OK for my purposes.

Attachments

• repair 1.jpg
    repair 1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 17
  • repair 2.jpg
    repair 2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 18
  • repair 3.jpg
    repair 3.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 20

Mosesatm

Ok guys, I figured if this thread went on long enough someone would eventually spell it right.

They are "zerk fittings".:wink: :grin: