• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Turned the Corner!

Midnight Special

Stan,
You will have one cool car!! Tim (Midnight Special) is building a torque monster 428 for his car!!

Face off at the OK corral!!

Rob

..Oh ohh... 'Cat's out of the bag :-O 'Not sure I'm up to that "David & Joe" thing, but we're indeed looking forward to a real nice set up thanks to great assist from Rob! I wound up working today then out w/ family, so I didn't get the photos taken & e-mailed, but (for now) here's some P-38s for you... 'Shot these at Reno last year - this is "Glacier Girl" pulled intact and restored after 40 years buried in the Greenland ice cap. There are only 5 airworthy Lightnings now... Anyways, back on topic. We'll be in touch Rob :)

P.S. Yes, the P-51 dash is real sans the wheel :)

Attachments

• 38-1.jpg
    38-1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 38-2.jpg
    38-2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 38-3.jpg
    38-3.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Tim,
My Father and I shared the love of the P-38's. He passed away last year at 89 years old a few hours passed my birthday. He always wanted a roots blower. He is watching from heaven!!!

I bought him the book of the recovery of "Glacier Girl". I did not know it had been restored!!

Back on subject.....

Diving into the engine compartment today to wipe with degreaser and paint. It is not very dirty at all. Waiting for radiator and headers to land motor. Aluminum radiator with electric fans. Want to fit it before the engine and then remove it to land the engine. It is a big block style with the mounts on the frame and top clamp. Have that stuff already.

Can't wait to help you on your project!!

Rob

Midnight Special

Errr....I'd be too scared to go up against that beast:scared:
Maybe we could do it "pinks" style and he could give me a 6 car length lead?

...I only want the sound, sensation and potential. I woudn't want to see a GH squat & drive off while I'm sitting in "smoke" trying to decide which end of the car will go down the track first ;-) But should I change my mind - I'll look to Joe or David to do the honors....'cuz....well, Rob's trying to get me in trouble! I just know it!!

:)

franklinair

Did someone say Glacier Girl?? I went to the hangar where they rebuilt it in Middlesburg, KY. Something to behold. Met with the resto director & financier (who has since passed away). His heirs didn't want to keep the P-38, and sold to someone in CA. Last time I saw it was at Sun-N-Fun in FL last year.

Now, back to Rob: That machine is going to THROB!! What do you estimate the HP output to be?

Neil

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Neil,
My Dad loved the P-38's! He was a 50 caliber Navy instructor in Norman, Oklahoma during WWII. They flew over all the time. I built models for him and bought him lots of books over the years. As the Germans called them... The "Fork Tailed Devil". My favorite airplane from yesterday, with the A-10 Warthog my "new" favorite from today!!

Engine should be well over 400 hp at 8 pounds of boost. Will run it that way and feel my way towards more boost.

Mo squeeze, Mo power!!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

The engine is in the car!! New aluminum radiator with dual electric fans is ready to install. Hood was on and off today to locate the center of the carburetor. Rob will get out the tin snips and cut a 12 inch diameter hole for the air cleaner. Will cover with a black 1969 Mach I hood scoop like Joe did. Battery is in the trunk now. Need to lengthen the throttle arm 2 inches to rise up to the higher carburetor poisition to give me more of a straight shot. TV bracket to build.

Still waiting for the crank spacer on back order from Weiand. Long tube headers are still a few days away. Lots of little things to do, but getting closer by the day!!!

Rob

DSCN4678.jpg