• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Travelin' Man

robert campbell

I finally got to meet a close neighbor of mine. TraveledGTCS! He lives about an hour away. Bill Norman is his name and he has a J code GT/CS and was having some minor annoyance with his 4300 4 barrel carb. He saw a few posts on our site and was fooled into thinking I knew something about them and he stopped by this morning.

I did not quite know what to expect as a car. I had seen posts that it may have turned over once or twice or three times or 4 times or........

WOW! What a nice car!!! Acapulco Blue, blue two tone interior, both consoles, power steering, power brakes, auto, and dual exhaust. The engine and compartment is beautiful. Lots of effort to revert back to concourse and it shows it! Interior is awesome, and it has fresh paint. I had envisioned a long mile, dull, old example. Boy was I wrong!! Correct roll tip exhaust, sparkplug wire cover (insulator) on the number one wire and even the old steel protectors on the lower sections of the PS hoses.

I did not know that he was an original owner of this car. Just a few on our site!!! He told me stories of small bumps and bruises, side pipes (Tim's brother!!), and using it as his daily driver. I liked the hood tach story. It came without a tach and he went back to his dealer and asked about the in-dash tach. He was told that his car engine combo would not support the install. We know that not to be true, but this was 1968!! They mentioned the old rally pac, but Bill did not like that. So a dealer installed 1969 hood tach became the solution. I have seen very few of these on any Mustang, but I live a bit of a sheltered life!!!

We took his very clean carb off to look at his float level and the old problem adjustment of the auxiliary fuel inlet. The Aux inlet was already plugged (common as they can be a problem) and his float level was a bit low but we left it. Car runs nearly 18 pounds of vacuum at a hot slow idle. I is sweet!!

I also found out that Bill is a Vietnam Army Veteran. Like very few you meet, he shows no scars from this service other than the disgusting treatment of these fine young men when they came home. Another ugly chapter in American history.....

Anyway, I ask him how many miles is now on the car. He says over 500,000 thousand!!! He and his dog Finly in his special seat perch travel all over the place for sure!!! I did not tell him, but he has a new nickname "Half Mill Bill"!!!!!

Enjoy

Rob

TraveledGTCS

I have finally met the famous Rob Campbell and his Garage. I knew he lived fairly close but I never had a chance to meet with him. So when my carb seemed to be acting up, I sent him a PM and asked if he could check it out for me. He had a couple other items going on, but once he handled them, he dropped me a email to let me know to stop on by. He has a fabulous shop as some of the individuals here know about since they stopped by his place for a gathering which I was not able to attend due to prior commitments.

Rob, you are the guy. Very knowledgeable and easy to work with - even though I was just watching. Loved your mustangs and was great to see them up close.

I also found out Rob was one of the charter members of the Kitsap Mustang Club (member #2 if I remember correctly), which I was a member for a year in 2000, but that is another story.

Thanks again Rob for doing the minor adjustments to my carb and giving me some pointers. One can alway learn a thing or two if one will listen. By the way Rob, still no seepage on it.

We Washingtonians are going to have to have another gathering sometime to welcome Arlie to the Northwest.
icon6.gif

Half Mill Bill

clubpro

Hey Bill,

Great to see you in a post again. I've been wondering how you were doing. It's great to see you have a replacement for Tanner too. Your car is in great hands, but be careful because you're going to have a few more ponies under the hood when Rob finishes with it.

Cheers,

Ron

Ruppstang

We were honored by a visit in 2010 by Bill and Tanner in Lincoln at our all Ford show.
Bill's car shows that you can still enjoy driving your car and have a beautiful concours car. They are not all trailer queens.
Hope to cross paths some time again Bill.
Marty

Attachments

• Bill Norman's 68 GT-CS at Lincoln 008.JPG
    Bill Norman's 68 GT-CS at Lincoln 008.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 43

calspcl

Great story - Bill and his car are famous and Robs reputation with cars and brisket are right up there!

Yes, a NW get together is in order, maybe for the mustang round up in Bellevue? Or?

franklinair

If/When, let me know. Haven't been out west for a while. :cool:

Neil

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 41

68 special

I'm game for another get together.

The Bellevue Roundup would be a great place. Then after we could go find a nice restaurant, shoot the breeze and toss back a couple brew depending on how far everyone wants to travel.

Maybe we should get a head count going now, so we know how many to expect?

July isn't that far off.

Bret

Mosesatm

What are the dates
I found it. July 16-19.

Last edited:

Tequila

What are the dates
I found it. July 16-19.

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone from here is bringing their GT/CS's to the Bellevue Mustang roundup this weekend?

I had the pleasure of meeting Bill at the Tacoma Griot's car show couple of years ago and hopefully I can see his beautiful car again, along with a few others...

I have never been to the Bellevue show and therefore wondering if it would be better to go on Sunday vs. Saturday.

Thanks
RT

68 special

I think Sunday is best because it's Peoples Choice. I'll be there.

Bret

TraveledGTCS

I will not be attending the Bellevue show this year. I have other commitments and will not be able to attend. I will be at the Port Orchard show (July 26th) and the Pierce County Mustang show at Griot's (August 9th), maybe I'll see you there.

Bill

DeadStang

I will not be attending the Bellevue show this year. I have other commitments and will not be able to attend. I will be at the Port Orchard show (July 26th) and the Pierce County Mustang show at Griot's (August 9th), maybe I'll see you there.

Bill

Missed you at the Round Up this year!...only ONE GT/CS was there for People's Choice this time around (another one in the judges show Saturday).