• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 time for your input gentlemen......

mbsf1970

well, just got off the phone with my mechanic. That trip to California last summer pretty much blew every gasket/seal in the engine.

here is a list of what needs doing:
reseal engine, replace timing cover, chain, gears
h2o pump, All hoses
new Rad, harmonic balancer.......there might be more.

Shop owner will price me out 2 options:
1) fix all of above and reinstall engine....
2) rebuild engine and fix all of above at same time....

I'll get back with you on his 2 prices later today and then I'd like your feedback as to what you might do. Money is an factor as if it were not, I wouldn't be asking for advice....:)

Stephen

BigJim

If the engine is going to be apart to do all the above you might as well rebuild it while it's apart. That's the approach we're taking with my wife's engine. It may cost of a grand or two more now but once it's done there shouldn't be a reason to open the engine up again for another 45 years.

CougarCJ

Plan #1 is just a band aid if you have other problems.

Harmonic balancer's can be rebuilt, they don't have to be replaced in most cases.

Does the engine burn oil? did the mechanic do a compression and/or a leak down test?

I have a pretty sound engine for my Mustang and will be doing all new gaskets, timing chain/gear, water pump, and sending out my distributor for rebuild. I will also be detailing and painting the engine assembly.

I am not sure of your skill level, but everything in plan #1 can be done with simple hand tools and a puller for the harmonic balancer. Most auto parts stores have a tool rental program, many have a free program.

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Option #1 reseal and reinstall engine plus water pump, carb rebuild (leaking gas) new rad and hoses $4600

option #2 complete engine rebuild, mild cam, carb, petronix ignition, rad and hoses $8400

Insert SIGH here........

Stephen

Mosesatm

Option #1 reseal and reinstall engine plus water pump, carb rebuild (leaking gas) new rad and hoses $4600

option #2 complete engine rebuild, mild cam, carb, petronix ignition, rad and hoses $8400

Insert SIGH here........

Stephen

Those numbers are double what they should be, unless he is pulling and reinstalling the engine. Even then they are too high.

rvrtrash

I agree with Arlie. Those prices are way out of wack! With that said, if you've got a lot of miles on the engine, I'd rebuild it. A new harmonic balancer isn't a bad idea. I had one blow apart on me. If you wanted to bring the car down here and leave it for a while, I could do either option one or two for you for considerably less.

Steve

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

he is pulling engine in both scenarios....of course they are in Canadian dollars.....so about $3800 u.s for option 1 and $6900 u.s. for option 2.

stangfan

Just taking the engine apart and resealing everything IMHO is a bit of a waste. If it is coming apart, it's not that much more expensive to go through the engine and see what needs to be done. If you are lucky, it'll just need a bit of cleanup, maybe hone the cylinder walls, do a valve job, and replace the bearings etc. Unless you WANT a cam upgrade, you should be able to save some by keeping things stock. Of course if the cam is worn out, go for it.

I just don't like the idea of spending all that money on labour to take the engine apart for resealing, without making sure that the internals are ok.

I agree with the others, those prices do seem high.

Just my $.02 (CDN) worth. :grin:

Powell

Stephen, I agree with Scott unless your skill level isn't up to it. If so I would jump all over Steve "rvrtrash" offer to take your car and get the work done by someone we all know and trust!!
Ralph

robert campbell

Stephen,
This mechanic is taking you to town. I agree with Scott on a compression test and leak down test on your motor. Seldom do engines need to be "resealed" for any reason. Timing chain and gears are a smart repair and they do necessitate the removal of the timing chain cover and a smart move is the water pump.

For heavens sake is there not an honest Ford guy in Calgary? This is crazy!

Rob

Ruppstang

I agree with above get some other estimates. Most of the resealing could be done in the car.
I can get a complete engine rebuild here for 2500.00 US. and I would install it.
Marty

Ruppstang

Here is another option. My dad had this 289 with a C8 casting number overhauled last year for a project that we did not end up using it for. It has been broken in on a engine stand and is ready to install. It was bored to 30 over. We could offer it to you for 3K US deliver to Calgary.
Before you eagle eyes post, yes I know the rocker covers are reversed. The engine builder installed that way for some reason and I have not had time to change them.
Marty

Attachments

• 2015-05-13 09.25.20.jpg
    2015-05-13 09.25.20.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 22

Mosesatm

There you go!
If you can ship that engine up to Steve's house, drive the car down to Idaho, and talk Rob into bringing some decent beer over the mountains, we'll have the old engine out and the new one installed in no time at all.:grin:

franklinair

Stephen:
1.) Take your CS to Steve
2.) Leave it.
3.) Let Steve evaluate the maladies.
4.) Have Steve advise & fix what is required.
5.) Compensate Steve accordingly.

You won't find a better, less costly, quality job.

Neil

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

thanks everyone for your time in extending your input. It is a lot to take in.
I think Steve is the best option for an expert eye to look at my car...now, how to get back from Post Falls ID?!!!

Stephen

Mosesatm

thanks everyone for your time in extending your input. It is a lot to take in.
I think Steve is the best option for an expert eye to look at my car...now, how to get back from Post Falls ID?!!!

Stephen

You can borrow my car. Wouldn't want you to be without a GT/CS!

Last edited:

robert campbell

Steve is WAY closer to Calgary than I am!!! He would be an excellent choice to look your car over! You could not do any better.

Heck, drive your CS to Post Falls and then take Steve's Shelby home until he is done!! That way you can evaluate if you want a new Mustang!!

Rob