• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

"Thunder in the Sky" 2010!!...

Midnight Special

...Where Mustangs meet Mustangs (and what I've been spending all my time on lately ;-)

www.thunderinthesky.org

If you're anywhere West - come and put us to the "Test" (...then go to Rob's cabin near the lake for the Best!! ;-)

Attachments

• T625.jpg
    T625.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 0491.jpg
    0491.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 33
  • -2.jpg
    -2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 001_37.jpg
    001_37.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0506.jpg
    DSC_0506.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 49
  • rpostr.jpg
    rpostr.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 36
  • TT12x12.jpg
    TT12x12.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Td625.jpg
    Td625.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 41

Ruppstang

Very cool Tim, I would love to be there. I just can not be gone that long. I can almost hear those engines looking at the photos! Marty

franklinair

If Frank Borman shows up (he has a P-51 & F-86) tell him an old airline cronie, Neil Hoppe says Hi.

Neil

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

If Frank Borman shows up (he has a P-51 & F-86) tell him an old airline cronie, Neil Hoppe says Hi.

Neil

...Wow Neil! What a small world. He's a truly amazing man (like you :)

I saw where his P-51 "SU SU" (named for his wife) was destroyed in a crash on March 11. Borman had sold it in 2007 and may well have another. He has made a business of restoring and flying at least seventeen warbirds including several Mustangs and a P-63 King Cobra.

Wait'a'minute..... "Mustang and Cobra"... Where have I heard that before??

PonyGal

Tim,

I can't believe that, after all the work you have been doing for the past few months, Thunder in the Sky will be coming up next weekend!! I can't wait ;~}

Looking forward to having my Special on display and spending the day surrounded by all those beautiful warbirds!!

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Tim,

I can't believe that, after all the work you have been doing for the past few months, Thunder in the Sky will be coming up next weekend!! I can't wait ;~}

Looking forward to having my Special on display and spending the day surrounded by all those beautiful warbirds!!

Indeed Renee, I have car passes & tickets at the ready for you :)

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...Awesome hangar party last night. And speaking of "High Country Specials" - check out this little gem! A 1956 Taylor Aerocar. one of five made and the only one that still flies! Renee, TJ & I got the full tour from its owner... Liz Taylor and Marilyn Monroe were among celebs who flew in this very machine during its "nifty-fifties" promotion.

I was also able to turn out two P-51 drawings which were autographed by WWII Triple-Ace Clarence "Bud" Anderson that we raffled along with other prizes to include two back-seat rides in L-39 Jets...

Renee "PonyGal" and I are making our Mustangs prominent as well :)

Attachments

• DSC_1495.jpg
    DSC_1495.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_1532.jpg
    DSC_1532.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_1501.jpg
    DSC_1501.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_1507.jpg
    DSC_1507.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_1530.jpg
    DSC_1530.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_1528.jpg
    DSC_1528.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_1520.jpg
    DSC_1520.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_1502.jpg
    DSC_1502.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...All in all, a fabulous show! Great turnout of planes, cars and fine folks to include Mike & Robinette "somethingspecial" and Renee "PonyGal" amidst a hot summer day. Although the focus was aviation and warbirds, our Mustangs were well appreciated and I was privileged (again) to MC in proper (Jon's) GT/CS attire ;-)

Attachments

• t.jpg
    t.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 33
  • tbm2.jpg
    tbm2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 22
  • tbm.jpg
    tbm.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 189
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 51.jpg
    51.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 30
  • apat.jpg
    apat.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 27
  • acrowd.jpg
    acrowd.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 26

PonyGal

Hey Tim,

It was a WONDERFUL weekend spent amongst all those great airplanes, beautiful cars, and you and TJ!! Had a GREAT time Friday night at the dinner dance, and a lot of fun at the air show on Saturday. I was having so much fun that I forgot to take pictures :-/ You did a fabulous job announcing the show!!! You are so darn good at that!!

Still, it was a bit hot during the show and it has taken me until today to "recover" from that fabulous weekend and log onto the site ;-}

I still can't believe I won so many amazing prizes in the raffle!! Not only did I win the $30 gift certificate to a local Italian restaurant, I won that fantastic Rhu Bigay Limited Edition lithograph. But the one that amazes me the most is winning one of the "grand" prizes. I am still in shock that I won the scenic ride in a Stearman Biplane!! Can't wait to make the arrangements to go up in it!!! Let's do that soon after I get back from Seattle :)

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 23
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...Well Renee, that's not just an ordinary Stearman you're going up in - rather a special one with a 450 HP radial delivering twice the speed and performance! And after the hangar talk we had with its owner, Don - you can be sure you'll get one hell of a ride! I'm arranging for a chase plane with Mach 5 Aviation so we can have pics of it here when you get back from Seattle. The other two photos are of the Aerocar in flight and a unique "Thunder Mustang" 3/4 replica powered by a sweet sounding V12 marine engine. Photos by Clark Cook.

...But now with this event over - all eyes and ears are on the Great Northwest and another action packed full-blown weekend with some of the finest Mustang owners in the country!!! 'Hope you get some rest during the week, cuz I don't think you've seen anything yet!

I wish you all a fabulous time! 'Cant wait for all the great reports and photos.... On topic, of course!
:)

Attachments

• rstrmn.jpg
    rstrmn.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 25
  • aeroc.jpg
    aeroc.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 23
  • tm.jpg
    tm.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 24

Ruppstang

Hey Tim,

It was a WONDERFUL weekend spent amongst all those great airplanes, beautiful cars, and you and TJ!! Had a GREAT time Friday night at the dinner dance, and a lot of fun at the air show on Saturday. I was having so much fun that I forgot to take pictures :-/ You did a fabulous job announcing the show!!! You are so darn good at that!!

Still, it was a bit hot during the show and it has taken me until today to "recover" from that fabulous weekend and log onto the site ;-}

I still can't believe I won so many amazing prizes in the raffle!! Not only did I win the $30 gift certificate to a local Italian restaurant, I won that fantastic Rhu Bigay Limited Edition lithograph. But the one that amazes me the most is winning one of the "grand" prizes. I am still in shock that I won the scenic ride in a Stearman Biplane!! Can't wait to make the arrangements to go up in it!!! Let's do that soon after I get back from Seattle :)

Renee,
You lucky devil! That will be one fun ride. We use to have a 450 Stearman based at our airport it was one very cool airplane. Hope to see you in Seattle. Marty

PonyGal

I am so looking forward to taking the ride in that beautiful Stearman!! Sounds like it has quite a bit of power!! Although I have loved all the old planes for most of my life, I have never been up in anything except a commercial flight. Talk about EXCITED!!!! Tim, thank you for letting me tag along with you at all these wonderful Warbird events!!!

Marty, I will be there in Seattle this weekend. Staying with my neice and her new baby on Thursday, and then heading north for all the Mustang action. I will be at Rob's place on Saturday and the show at the college on Sunday. Hopefully we can meet sometime this weekend!! Looking foward to it!

Tim, You will be greatly missed by all of us up in Seattle :-( Don't worry, we will keep you posted via the website and by phone. Still, it would be a lot better if you were there!! Maybe for the next get together...

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Marty, I will be there in Seattle this weekend. Staying with my neice and her new baby on Thursday, and then heading north for all the Mustang action. I will be at Rob's place on Saturday and the show at the college on Sunday. Hopefully we can meet sometime this weekend!! Looking foward to it!

Tim, You will be greatly missed by all of us up in Seattle :-( Don't worry, we will keep you posted via the website and by phone. Still, it would be a lot better if you were there!! Maybe for the next get together...

...I'll be watchin, but your graduation toward real Mustangers and the "Big Time" is a natural progression for you. Your past year of showing, winning, putting big motors in little cars etc... with all the genuine enthusiasm you bring is sure to make for great conversations with all in your presence. Think about it....You've come a looo'ng way Renee! (...and it'll just keep getting better & better :)