• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Thinking of buying my first Ford 1968 GT/CS

Thenewguy

Hello!

I'm new to the site and was hoping to get some feedback from some of you.
I am thinking of buying a '68 GT/CS from a friends mother. She is the origional owner of the car and is finally wanting to part with it.
It's a 289 automatic with all origional motor, transmission, rearend, etc.

The car needs a good restoration, I know the car hit a curb pretty good about 15 years ago and did some front end damage and I believe theres a transmission problem. I don't know a whole lot more about the condition of the car....rust, accidents, etc but I am going to find out.

She is asking 5k for the car. I don't know alot about the value of these cool rides but maybe some of you here could enlighten me on it. I have never owned a Mustang but I have been drooling over this cars for almost 20 years and now is my chance to own it. Is it worth it?

Thankyou in advance for your time and responses.

John....

Mustanglvr

Please post pics and Marti report. Are there anymore details? Thanks

Mosesatm

It would need to be in real bad condition to not be worth $5,000. Rust is the biggest issue. One of our California folks may be able to help you check it out.

robert campbell

5k!!! A steal unless it is a pile of rust holes or so crooked you would mistake it for a crab walking! Original documentation, PRICELESS! If she is the orginal owner, a Marti report is just so much window dressing.

Unless she is a huge scammer, this car is the real deal! If she is the orginal owner then you are looking at a one of a kind deal.

Give us a couple pictures. Sounds like a great deal!

Rob

J_Speegle

John a few things to consider

Since this is a project you need to honestly evaluate your abilities and resources. This car will cost you likely another $10K to get it in the condition that you will be happy with and I'm not suggesting anything close to restoring - that would be another 30K or so (since we haven't seen any detailed pictures or info)

Because of this its almost always better to buy a finished car that fits your level of usage and expectations since these are often the real bargins. Cost and parts add up quickly as many here can attest to.

It may help having some uninvolved party look at the car to give you another educated opinion about the car. This can save you thousands of dollars and plenty of headaches – or at least reduce them somewhat ;)

Just a start

aemoo28

VIN number? I can check the registry.

You're making an excellent decision to buy a GT/CS, and you're in the right place for a restoration. This site is the bomb.

Timmknz

It is worth it

Even if you buy it and hang onto it for a few years it is worth it. You will have to do a full resto to get the garlic smell out of it though :)
Gilroy Garlic Rocks!
:)

di81977

John a few things to consider

Since this is a project you need to honestly evaluate your abilities and resources. This car will cost you likely another $10K to get it in the condition that you will be happy with and I'm not suggesting anything close to restoring - that would be another 30K or so (since we haven't seen any detailed pictures or info)

Because of this its almost always better to buy a finished car that fits your level of usage and expectations since these are often the real bargins. Cost and parts add up quickly as many here can attest to.

It may help having some uninvolved party look at the car to give you another educated opinion about the car. This can save you thousands of dollars and plenty of headaches – or at least reduce them somewhat ;)

Just a start

Agreed - go into this with your eyes open. Have we ever itemized expected restoration costs? I think it is very easy to get in too far, even before the market got soft.

We would all like to see every GT/CS and HCS restored and back on the road with owners who appreciate the history of our cars. I certainly can understand doing it from an emotional standpoint, but from a practical standpoint, it might not always make sense.

Interior - $3K
Paint - $5K
Engine rebuild - $5K
Tranny rebuild - $1K

And, this does not take into account concourse, electrical issues, rust and body damage, missing GT/CS parts, Brakes, Rear differential. It can add up really fast.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

David

OP
OP
T

Thenewguy

Hey thanks for all your feedback. Mr. Speegle your advice is well taken into consideration and very true! I have a shop the car will be going to if I purchase it,with some very talented friends that are going to help me restore it to a driver restoration.

I have contacted her son about getting some pic's of the car so I will post them as soon as I can get them, I will also get the VIN # for the car aswell.

Thanks again,

John.....

franklinair

I've read & heard many discussions re: buying a 'done' car versus restoring one sfter purchase. While I completely agree that a 'done' car would be more economically feasable, there's always a doubt in my mind as to how well it was 'done' by the previous owner. My last project was a '68 convertible- a good car in most respects. Doing 95% of the work myself (I farmed out the exhaust installation & front end alignment), I managed to spend $10K in parts & materials. (Engine, suspension, interior, tires & wheels, and a myriad of odds & ends) I probably could have found a 'done' convertible for less total cost, but would not have the firsthand confidence that it was 'done' right. Probably about $5K difference, but I have the comfort of knowing that what I have is A-OK.
Conversely, I bought my C/S as a 'done' car a few years ago at market value, and it is a NICE car. Expenditures on my part were elective (for upgrades) and not required . Now there are things I'm going to do, to bring it to my level of satisfaction- mostly detailing & upgrades.
I say all of this just so you know the potential cost of what you want in a car. Can you do some or all of the work yourself? Will you have to have the work done for you? Not knowing the exact condition of the car, it's impossible to guesstimate any costs required, or to what level you want it to be. For me, doing the work myself, to the level I would require, I would estimate $10K- if there's no rust/extensive bodywork.

Neil

robert campbell

Neil,
YOU are right on. If you want instant gratification, buy a done car. If you have some talent or some good friends with some, and are willing to take the journey, then go for it. You will build what you want, and it will be a known quantity. But it will be only as good as you and the people who build it. But if done right, it can save you some bucks, but you will need to go down the journey.

Condition of what you are getting is important. If it is solid and complete, a lot of it is just bolt on for the right people.

But do not be fooled. If you and your friends are not up to this, it can be a huge investment mess.

Get us some detailed pics. Wish I could help you look at it!! If you are close to one of us, let us know. We are not there to steal your deal. Just to help!!

Rob