• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Should I include GT/CS clones in the Registry?

P

PNewitt

I'm not particularly interested in doing this, but I thought I'd throw the question out here anyway....

Should I include GT/CS "clones" in the back of the Registry? These would have to be proven as "coupes only", and/or have a Dearborn or New Jersey VIN code (as well as it being a fastback or convertible).

Would this serve as a notice to future buyers? (buyer beware?).

Your thoughts?

thanks, Paul.

Doug

IMHO - I feel that your time should be devoted to "real" GTCS and information about them. Any buyer who is interested in buying an older Ford (after 1967) most likely will have heard about the Marti report; should be able to verify a car that they are buying and its correctness. I would add that clones are popping up and to be should to do your homework before buying. I would not start adding cars to your book; I can just hear it now in an eBay “1968 California Special featured in Paul Newitt’s new book – for sale”.

Just my 2 cents worth. Doug

C160223

I may be a bit harsh, but I say absolutely NO. If a future buyer purchases a GT/CS without proof of authentication, whether it by original paper work or Marti report, the fault is his/hers. The price of the standard Marti reports are cheap, and you can gets results to verify car within hours. Future buyers can also ask questions here...

Midnight Special

...As difficult as it is to find & document all the real CSs, why in the heck would you even consider registering clones? Do instead a detailed chapter on "buyer beware" spotting etc..., but otherwise stick to your original intent. As I often encounter owners and cars that are not in the registries and have not even heard of you - it would seem your efforts would be better spent being as "complete" as possible for the best benefit the owners here who are supporting you.

Clones will continue to be produced and registry or not, the Marti will always be the best defense! But Paul, if you keep adding all the things you've said over the past 3 years, you'll only drive the cost of the book up, incur further delays, only to wind up with another coffee table book that skims surfaces as opposed to any real dedication.
IMO

Last edited:

franklinair

No, No, No, and again, NO. It seems to me that the book should address the subject for which it is titled. You cannot address all the woes of the world in what is really a single subject publication (California Specials/HCS). There are bogus Mustangs in nearly every type manufactured. Let's remain pure & simple, and stick with the subject at hand. My 2cents worth.
Neil

rvrtrash

I say leave the clones out, except maybe as a notation that they exist. As an example, with Sunbeam Tigers, your car has to be inspected by 3 certified inspectors to verify it's a real Tiger before it gets "blessed", which eliminates not just clones but cars that have been rebodied with actual Tiger VIN's. Keep it real!

Steve

Mustanglvr

I`d say, mention how to look out for clones and with the owners permission, list the ones already known to be clones. Especially, the ones the owners insist are genuine.

John McGilvary

I agree with Doug, John P, Tim, Neil, and Steve!

IMO Clones have there place, but its not in the California Special/HCS Recognition Book.

John

Duker

With all due respect to the young man that wanted info last week regarding how to make a clone because "He couldn't afford the real thing".

We all could have gone out and purchased a 1968 Mustang and attempted to make it a California Special but we didn't. We own a true piece of American Automotive History lets not change the rules in the middle of the game.

This is one of the reasons why we have Kevin Marti, Bob Teets and you Paul Newitt to keep the game "Honest and True" for all of us.

Duker

BroadwayBlue

I have to agree with everyone here.

Buyer Beware chapter or section would be good but I would not include clones in the registry.

There are probably more clones out there than you could ever account for and at what point do you draw the line that's it's a clone. Full replica? Tribute with just scoops and a decklid? ... etc .. I think you get the point.

We try so hard to get the real story out there let's keep it real.

Not trying to be harsh just my opinion on the question that was raised.

Do Shelby clones get into that registry?

Perkchiro

I agree with the above comments. There's no place for clones to be honored along side real CS's. Letting readers know the difference would be appropriate IMHO.

How is that book coming along Paul?

hicountrybob

I have to agree with everyone here.

Buyer Beware chapter or section would be good but I would not include clones in the registry.

There are probably more clones out there than you could ever account for and at what point do you draw the line that's it's a clone. Full replica? Tribute with just scoops and a decklid? ... etc .. I think you get the point.

We try so hard to get the real story out there let's keep it real.

Not trying to be harsh just my opinion on the question that was raised.

Do Shelby clones get into that registry?

Hey, right on. NO Clones for me either and as spoken, no Shelby clones in my SAAC books either, right?? Bob Teets here.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

That pretty much sums it up....wow. I appreciate your direct and passionate responses. Thanks for your input. I already do have several returned surveys from many years ago that show that they are obvious clones.

Like I said, I wasn't particularly interested in doing this, I was offering the idea to you. Not that this would have taken any more time and effort, but there was an inkling of "should I" there. Now, it's decided, and it won't happen.

Paul.

P.S. Tim, I don't have any of your GT/CSs registered. I have no record of them in the registry (except for one that was on EBAY the Bob Teets let me know about). Can you send in that info ASAP?

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Even though I won't be including any clones in the registry, I'll be keeping an unpublished file on the side with VINs of these cars, that I've either seen, or were sent in to me.

If anyone out there knows of a clone, just mail me the information, the VIN & door tag info. I'll just keep that on hand, just in case a question comes up regarding any of these cars.

Of course, if the particular situation warrants, I'll have to confirm or deny it through a Marti Report to be sure that the information I receive, or have, is accurate.

Paul.

Last edited:

Midnight Special

That pretty much sums it up....wow.

P.S. Tim, I don't have any of your GT/CSs registered. I have no record of them in the registry (except for one that was on EBAY the Bob Teets let me know about). Can you send in that info ASAP?

...Very well, I'll make color copies and get them in the mail. In the meantime; the four others are posted in the appropriate section of this site.

Let me add the opinion here that I hope with all the genuine information you're sitting on and w/ so much time and diversion gone by, that I would indeed commit to five books (one to go with each car) if (and only if) it's pure and not cluttered w/ clones, hiding horsepower under stock appearing engines and all the other "fluff" that seems to be stalling progress. Many folks here have completed total restorations, planned and executed major events and accomplished large endeavors without so much noise and needless query well inside the time (three years I've been here) we've been hearing about & waiting for "the book". I'm not trying to simplify your efforts Paul, but I do think it's time that you did.

CougarCJ

No Pedigree, no mention

Chiming in late as usual.

I agree with everything said, too.

Please do not honor the clone or tribute cars with their own chapter.

There was only 4,118 originals, and they were all manufactured in San Jose, California by Ford employees in 1968.

Proceed as planned with standard registry wordage stating that "There are many replica cars being advertised as the real thing." "The registry can help protect potential buyers by inquiring about the authenticity of 'for sale' GT/CS cars". blah blah.

In my opinion, honoring clones, will be giving them a place in GT/CS history.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

IMHO -..... I would not start adding cars to your book; I can just hear it now in an eBay “1968 California Special featured in Paul Newitt’s new book – for sale”. Doug

Excellent point. Well taken.

Paul.