• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 shelby 10 spokes

franklinair

Shelby 10 spoke wheels $1100 to $1200 for a set of 4. I don't think they're 'correct' for GT/CS, but I DO like the looks. IIRC, they're 15" wheels which would of course require replacing your 14" tires as well.

Neil

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Mosesatm

Here are a couple photos of one of my previous cars; first with styled steel wheels, then with 10-spokes.

Attachments

• DSCN0013 Flipped.jpg
    DSCN0013 Flipped.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Concunully 1 Reduced.jpg
    Concunully 1 Reduced.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

. IIRC, they're 15" wheels which would of course require replacing your 14' tires as well.

Neil

14' tire???? I knew things were bigger in Texas but it appears they are in the Carolinas as well!! :wink:

Thanks for info Neil. I saw some on Branda site but I'm not buying new repros. I may have come across original set-- waiting on email from seller to verify. I can see rims in seller's picture among plenty of other parts, but not well enough to know with 100% certainty that they are indeed 10 spokes. If real, wanted to know value to make reasonable offer. My preference is original when possible. I'm not hunting for a set but if I should stumble across one then who am I to refuse an opportunity! Better get a lot if referreeing assignments next year!!

Stephen
@ Arlie.... love your first photo, the way it reversed! :icon_lol: The Gt/cs just looks so good with those style rims....

Ruppstang

Stephen,
I got a original set of ten spokes with our 68 GT350 although 99% of 68 GT350s came with hub caps. The problem was that Ford changed the brake caliper from a 4 puck design in 67 to a 2 puck design in 68 and the original ten spokes would rub unless you added spacers. I sold mine for 3K and bought the aftermarket ten spokes that I mounted 15 inch P metric tires. That is how I drive the car. When I show the car I have a set of 15 black rims and bilious ply tires that I use the Shelby hubcaps on.

IMHO it would be a waste of money to put original ten spokes on a GTCS because they never cam with them. It would be far better to buy the aftermarket ones with the correct back set as I did for our Shelby and you do not need to deal with the spacers.

You can check the originality of a ten spoke by looking for the part number on the inside it should be a S7MS-part # or S6MS-part # . Shelby did make some latter ones sold over the counter ones but they are not as valuable.
Get those numbers and we will figure out what you have there.
Marty

Attachments

• 2015-06-08 19.54.22.jpg
    2015-06-08 19.54.22.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 26

robert campbell

Stephen,
Are you hoping to find an original set cheaper than the repops? You may, but it is very doubtful. The repops look great and fit better as you have read.

But who knows.

Rob

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Rob,
Not "actively" looking for original set (or repops for that matter) but was surfing, looking at Mustangs, and may have stumbled on some originals.....

Let's just say I'm doing some advance due diligence in case they are originals and can be had reasonably. That's why I need to know value..I might flip them and use extra money to pay off some of my recent expenses "Chez Steve" He's done/doing some amazing work and I can't thank him enough!! Getting car Friday.:icon_ecst
Stephen

p.s. any mods needed on car to go from a 14" to a 15" wheel aside from the obvious getting 15" tires?

p.p.s here's what I'm seeing in photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 37

robert campbell

Other than what Marty said, they should bolt on and they have a "negative offset" similar to a stock wheel. So if you get the same width 15 inch tires as your 14's they should fit easy.

Rob

Ruppstang

You will have to change the speedometer gear if you want it to read correctly.
Marty

Mosesatm

Other than what Marty said, they should bolt on and they have a "negative offset" similar to a stock wheel. So if you get the same width 15 inch tires as your 14's they should fit easy.

Rob

Rob,
Not necessarily. The 15" inner rims are closer to the upper ball joint than the 14" rims so even with the same offset they may rub, especially if the new tires extend beyond the rims. Been there.

Ruppstang said:
You will have to change the speedometer gear if you want it to read correctly.
Marty
One way to avoid speedometer issues is to make sure your new tires are the same height as your old tires. There are conversion charts for such swaps, or I can send you a spreadsheet.

Stephen,
Here is a chart that roughly shows tire heights for 15" wheels. I say 'roughly' because some manufacturers have slightly different heights for the same size tires.

Original E70-14 tires were 25.7" tall. I marked in yellow some of the more common options that are close to that size.
Yes, I am a geek.

Attachments

• 15 inch Tires and Wheels (875x1000).jpg
    15 inch Tires and Wheels (875x1000).jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

robert campbell

Arlie,
You are correct as always. But a 15.7 diameter 15 inch tire would have a very short side wall...... Boy,am I an A-hole!!! Very nice chart by the way!!!

Rob

franklinair

Hmmm... messages from a Geek, and an A-hole. No wonder I feel at home here.:cool:

Neil

Mosesatm

Arlie,
You are correct as always. But a 15.7 diameter 15 inch tire would have a very short side wall...... Boy,am I an A-hole!!! Very nice chart by the way!!!

Rob

Yep, I fat fingered that one. Fixed it.
Thanks for the catch.

Mosesatm

The SAAC guys think they are worth around $250 each if they are unrestored, and in the $500 range if they are restored. So you're looking at between $2,000 - $2,000. Plus center caps and lug nuts.

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

finally was able to talk to owner's son as he stood with tires.
3 of the 4 rims are indeed for 1967 Shelby....they have markings or rear side and are variation #1
the 4th one seems quite different -- no markings on back and clearly not as shiney....check out pic.

Unfortunate that they aren't all as nice as the shiney one in the picture. 3 out of 4 ain't bad I suppose...

Stephen

p.s. @ Arlie....tx for taking questions to SAAC. appreciate info. if I can deal on them I can perhaps offer them for sale here or there. Gotta figure out what's going on with 4th rim and see if he has center caps and lug nuts....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: