• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Ride Height Variance

Mosesatm

Measuring to the top of the wheel well openings I get the following dimensions:
LF = 25 1/4"
RF = 25 1/4"
LR = 25 3/8"
RR = 26"

What the heck is with the right rear? Any thoughts on how to lower it by 5/8" or raise the other side?

CougarCJ

Arlie, I recall we were scratching our heads trying to figure out why your axle was offset.

I would further investigate before I were to change leaf springs. You may very well have some old damage or poor repairs done years ago.

Maybe that quarter panel has been 'sculpted' in the past?

p51

Measuring to the top of the wheel well openings I get the following dimensions:
LF = 25 1/4"
RF = 25 1/4"
LR = 25 3/8"
RR = 26"

What the heck is with the right rear? Any thoughts on how to lower it by 5/8" or raise the other side?

Could be the left rear spring is sagging more than the right since, over time, there is on average more weight (driver) on the left hand side than on the right (passenger sometimes). But first, to confirm that it is differential spring sag, I'd suggest also measuring the distance between undercarriage and ground just in front of the wheel wells. If you get the same difference then its likely (?) that the left side spring is sagging more. If so...

(1) One inexpensive "fix" would be to add a helper spring to the left side (or both sides). Easy to put on and allow you to adjust ride height. For ~$50 you get to play around with ride-height and "springy-ness" without having to buy new springs or adding a leaf or getting springs re-arc'ed.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/550R.html

(2) Another "fix" might be air adjustable shocks; albeit, where the shocks mount to the undercarriage is not designed to support the car. So some modification to the shock top connection point (piece of metal to distribute the load?) likely might be needed. Again, a benefit is ability to adjust rear ride height.

(3) New springs or add-a-leaf on left side or re-arc.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I ruled out the quarter panel by placing a level across the tail lights and they are as unlevel as the wheel openings seem to be.
The car was hit in the front at some point so that wreck may have tweaked the unibody but I can't see any sign of it. I'll take a few more measurements then take it to a shop and have them put it on the frame rack if I can't figure it out.
If it's not the body I could remove one of the lowering blocks, that just seems inherently wrong to me though.

By the way, the springs are only a few years old. They are a little stiffer than I like so I wouldn't mind replacing them.

Scott

Fascinating Arlie.

What made you aware of it in the first place? Can feel it when driving?

In the meantime I always thought it cool to alter the suspension to compensate for torque flex under hard launches. There's any number of stories lurking here if you're not too committed to the truth.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Scott,
I don't remember how I noticed that one side was higher than the other and I don't notice it when I'm driving. It's probably not even noticeable to the average person but it just annoys me because I know it's there.

I thought one spring may be sprung more than the other so I swapped them left and right but that didn't make any difference. I also set them next to each other to see if one had more of an arc. Nope, they were exactly the same.

My next task is to measure the distance between the front and rear spring attachment points on both sides. If those distances are not equal that could cause one spring to be under more tension than the other.

If that's not the problem I'll probably just move all my tools and road trip supplies to the right side of the trunk and call it good.