• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2007+ Research Questions for '07-'09 Owners

P

PNewitt

I'm wrapping up the section of my book on the 2007-09 GT/CS, and I have a few questions and requests for help from owners and enthusiasts. Anything you could provide would be very helpful:

1. Where can I find a good description (on the net) of what a S197 Mustang really is? Is the 197 a platform?

2. Does anyone live near the AAI plant in Flat Rock Michigan, and/or have any good photos of the front of the factory?

3. At one time, someone posted a photo of a Grabber Orange GT/CS up on a display turntable at a Ford Dealer. Where could I find that photo?

4. Where are those spy photos of the white GT/CS convertible? Was that Mustang Source? This was back in 2006.

4. Is there a GT/CS Review in the January 2007 Road & Track?

5. Where would I find a tech/driving review of the 2005 GT (or 2007) Mustang in Motor Trend?

6. So far, I have copies of mentions or "new car" bits on the 2007 GT/CS from: Mustang Monthly, Muscle Mustangs & Fords, Musclecar Enthusuast, Musclecar Milestones, and Ford's magazine, Frontline. Does anyone know of or has seen any reviews of the 2007 GT/CS in any other magazines? This is during the July-August-Sept., 2006 period.

7. Modified Mustangs did an article in a 2006 issue on the Woodward Dream Cruise. I can't find which month's issue that it's in. It mentions a California Special test mule in the copy.

8. On Ford's website--who knows if you could have ordered a GT/CS directly off the site? How does that work?

9. By Truck or by Rail? On your invoice (Late model only), what does it say-- shipped by truck or rail?. if either method, also tell where you bought your GT/CS. I'm trying to find where they stopped delivery by truck and went by rail. California units were all shipped by rail.

10. Does anyone here own a San Diego Special (SDS), or a SCS (So Cal Special), or a "Stampede"? These are later versions of the 2006 Mustang CE (Calif. Edition).

Thanks for all your help!!!

Paul Newitt

BroadwayBlue

Paul,

Check with hotrodgrany on #3.
Here is the thread.
http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4776

Also not sure if it is of interest, but when I went to the Mustangs Unlimited Spring show last year there was a
Grabber Orange GT/CS convertible there that the owner has documentation on stating that Ford built it by mistake since Grabber Orange was not offered on the GT/CS in 2007!

Here are links to pictures of it
http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/photos/305950542_aDDyg-L.jpg

http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/photos/305950431_eqza3-L.jpg

The New England Mustang club might be able to put you in contact with the owners. I think they may belong to that club.

Stathy

Paul,

Check with hotrodgrany on #3.
Here is the thread.
http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4776

Also not sure if it is of interest, but when I went to the Mustangs Unlimited Spring show last year there was a
Grabber Orange GT/CS convertible there that the owner has documentation on stating that Ford built it by mistake since Grabber Orange was not offered on the GT/CS in 2007!

Here are links to pictures of it
http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/photos/305950542_aDDyg-L.jpg

http://ponyrides.smugmug.com/photos/305950431_eqza3-L.jpg

The New England Mustang club might be able to put you in contact with the owners. I think they may belong to that club.

While we're on the topic of Grabber Orange, check out the
www.grabberorange.net website. There have quite a few CS's in that color.
Here's one of them : http://www.grabberorange.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1544

GTCS07

Paul, S197 refers to the codename Ford gave the new platform in '05. Previous was SN95. I'll check my paperwork tomorrow to see if it was by rail but I'm pretty sure it was trucked in. Sold new here in RI. Also, I know the owners of the first orange 'vert above and have their email addy. Their car was a Ford rep. demo for showing the GT/CS package to the dealers around the area I think they said.

J.Bart

9. By Truck or by Rail? On your invoice (Late model only), what does it say-- shipped by truck or rail?. if either method, also tell where you bought your GT/CS. I'm trying to find where they stopped delivery by truck and went by rail. California units were all shipped by rail.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Paul Newitt

assembly plant is flat rock-shipped by rail-- lot was pocatello idaho- all the mustangs that i have seen come into that lot were by truck. ok i just talked to my local delership. they are railed into salt lake city utah and trucked to the surrounding area. he said they also are railed into laurel montana.

BroadwayBlue

Paul, S197 refers to the codename Ford gave the new platform in '05. Previous was SN95. I'll check my paperwork tomorrow to see if it was by rail but I'm pretty sure it was trucked in. Sold new here in RI. Also, I know the owners of the first orange 'vert above and have their email addy. Their car was a Ford rep. demo for showing the GT/CS package to the dealers around the area I think they said.

Ok then maybe "built be mistake" isn't correct. :cool:
That's what I recall being said during the awards ceremony but either way it's a cool story for the owners to tell.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

You guys are awesome!!!

Thanks---I'll be checking out everything you provided.

I do know that Grabber Orange was offered later in the '07 model year.

Thanks!
Paul.

GTCS07

Ok then maybe "built be mistake" isn't correct. :cool:
That's what I recall being said during the awards ceremony but either way it's a cool story for the owners to tell.

That show you were at was before I met them. More info was found in the meantime. I'm sure the whole story still remains to be told.

Paul, I checked my window sticker. It said "Convoy" so I guess that means shipped by truck.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

If I were to provide in the book the Ford parts required to build your late model GT/CS up to Shelby GT-H, or Shelby GT level, would you go for it?

And if you did this, would you go for a "High Perf. GT/CX-2" decal, designating the mods? We could list these cars in the (late model) registry as being modified to those specs, too.

Your thoughts?

Paul N.

green56

I was at the Barrett Jackson auction in scottsdale AZ I dont know if you need it paul i pick a poster of the2008 cobra jet on the back it has the specs if you want it i could send it to you for you book if it will help

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I was at the Barrett Jackson auction in scottsdale AZ I dont know if you need it paul i pick a poster of the2008 cobra jet on the back it has the specs if you want it i could send it to you for you book if it will help

That is a very thoughtful offer, but I can't use it for the book. They had about three of those cars at the 2010 Reveal last Nov. in Santa Monica.

Thank you for thinking of me.

Paul.

p.s. GT/CX-2 is an extension of an idea that Galpin Ford did in 1968. They modified (Galpinized) a '68 GT/CS, and called it the CX-1.

It stands for "California Experimental"; and the late models would be the second-generation version. For what it's worth, it's an idea right now.

-P.

hotrodgrany

Here is some information I found on the Ford site about our 09 GT California Special Mustang, in what they offer and packages they offer the V6, GT, GT options. Some of you may have gone here already, but wanted to pass along.

Attachments

• 09 Mustang.jpg
    09 Mustang.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 09 Mustang 002.jpg
    09 Mustang 002.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 21
  • 09 Mustang 001.jpg
    09 Mustang 001.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 23

dcutting

Shipping methods for 07-09s

Paul,

I bought my '07 from Folsom Lake Ford in Sacramento, CA. in April of that year. It did not arrive until early June. I was told at the time it was delayed because Ford changed shipping companies, and that it was sent by truck. My window sticker shows shipment by rail, so I am not sure how to sort that one out.

Regards,

David

aemoo28

Really now!!

If I were to provide in the book the Ford parts required to build your late model GT/CS up to Shelby GT-H, or Shelby GT level, would you go for it?

HELLO?

I chose the CS over the Shelby, AND the Hertz. Who would want to change the CS into something it's not?

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

HELLO?

I chose the CS over the Shelby, AND the Hertz. Who would want to change the CS into something it's not?

Because they are not Shelby parts (per se), but Ford parts, namely the the Performance Packs.

No Shelby nameplates or anything would be added. Still 100% GT/CS, just with the same setup AS a Shelby GT-H / GT.

If folks wanted to add the hood pins, Shelby makes them blank, without the Shelby name, which I would suggest.

Paul.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Here is some information I found on the Ford site about our 09 GT California Special Mustang, in what they offer and packages they offer the V6, GT, GT options. Some of you may have gone here already, but wanted to pass along.

Hey thanks, GT/HRG!!!!

What I still need to see is just how fewer 2009 GT/CSs were made, since they've stopped production now for the 2010's out in the spring.

Owning a 2009 GT/CS might be a real rarity--especially with white stripes!

thanks again!

Paul.

73pony

Paul, my Gt/CS was shipped by "convoy" according to my window sticker. I know from Flat Rock it was shipped by rail then truck. I have the dealer break down and recommended mix for 2007 inventory. Also major product changes, major product summary sheets, various packaged options and functional equipment sheets. Would you like me to copy these and send them to you? Thanks John (73pony)