• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Repaint under way...

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Yep, the wire wheel is not that aggressive.

Would never use a grinding wheel on it. The purple discs used to final strip are not too bad, but do leave swirls that etch will cover on the panels, would be scary to use it on the inner doors!!!

I wiped with lacquer thinner, it removed "some" paint, and wire wheeled quickly over most of the inner door and then hit areas with rust or flaking paint a bit more. I'll try to take some close ups tomorrow.

cool68

thank you so much

just wanted to say thank you.....seeing your car help me to keep the faith...my car is the same color :smile:

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

A bit of a hiatus in the logs.... but she's back in paint!

This was Friday, Saturday to vinyl top went back on. A mid-range difficulty level one-person DIY job...

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Supposedly Wimbledon White. As with most colors no real way to tell without OEM paint to match do (this was previously repainted so none to match). Each paint vendors opinion of any 60's Ford color is slightly different based on side-by-side tests I have done.

It was color matched for a high end Shelby restoration by the shop a yew years ago. Used the same paint mix. A moderately bright white but with some "cream" in it, not a stark white. The flash makes it look whiter.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Vinyl roof and headliner

Some time off work as the office shuts down for two weeks. A couple days in the shop and some progress... vinyl roof on and headliner in...

If I can find all my window clips the glass should be in Friday!

Ruppstang

Looks Great!
Aren't those coupe headliner sail panels fun. Nice job.
Merry Christmas Marty

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Thanks.

Actually it wasn't too bad. The rear 1/4's are a bit tricky but I've found getting the sides and ends clipped above the doors and widows, pulling up the "teeth" to just below horizontal, pull the panel down, then work forward, then to the back, repeat a few time snugging it up, and in about 10 minutes you can get them pretty good... probably 2-3 hours to get it all in and done..

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Front and rear glass in, rear trims done. The stainless polished up quite nice.

Front suspension going in. Drilled for the Shelby drop today and hope to get it all in Thursday.....

Ruppstang

Just in case you did not know the original upper control arms had four rivets :).

franklinair

I've read that, but didn't Ford switch to the 3 bolt balljoint/UCA as the replacement part? I use the 3 bolt replacement UCA- a lot more cost effective without affecting the integrity of the unit.

Neil

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 34

Ruppstang

I've read that, but didn't Ford switch to the 3 bolt balljoint/UCA as the replacement part? I use the 3 bolt replacement UCA- a lot more cost effective without affecting the integrity of the unit.

Neil

Yes the latter service replacements were the three rivet. And they are just fine for a non concours car. To be correct it must be as used on the assembly line. There are quite a number of Ford service replacement parts that are not correct. Many sold as NOS on EBay every day. It makes for a very unhappy owner when he is told that NOS part he paid many $$$ for is incorrect.
What is the green material sprayed on your inner aprons?
Marty

Ruppstang

I see it on the gas and break lines close to where they go through the apron. It must be the flash.