• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 rebuilding transmission

mbsf1970

So, plenty of leaks that need fixing. Fixing leaks is only a few hundred dollars less than rebuilding so I've opted to get it rebuilt.

Suggestions or insights that I should know regarding the process? I was asked what I wanted from the rebuild......I said a leak free transmission...what might I have said? Remember that I'm a stock kinda guy...

If you suggest anything, please explain what the benefit is and why its worthwhile doing?

Stephen

rvrtrash

I always include a shift kit (long ago it was a Transgo Stage II) on a rebuild. The stiffer/quicker shift actually reduces slippage in the bands, which is better for them.

Steve

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Got it.... faster shift patterns in exchange for the extended durability and added fuel economy.

brand to use? Trans Go? B&M?

Last edited:

dalorzo_f

Consider DIY if you are handy. They are not hard to rebuild.

Buy the "Bad Shoe" videos on line and you can rebuild it in a weekend... and learn something and save a lot of $$$! :smile: