• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

question about fog lights

wally05

Is it possible to get the inside of a fog light fixed? I have a lot of rust inside of one and I might have to get new ones unless I can get it fixed. I have my eye on an actual set of them (real ones with the covers), but they are so expensive...

Midnight Special

Is it possible to get the inside of a fog light fixed? I have a lot of rust inside of one and I might have to get new ones unless I can get it fixed. I have my eye on an actual set of them (real ones with the covers), but they are so expensive...

...Yes, I've been inside of mine (Lucas only) and de-rusted, refreshed wire connections etc... I know a more seasoned expert will give better direction, but if not - I'll take my digital and give you a backyard "play by play" later perhaps...

Mosesatm

Are you talking about the inside of the chrome housing or the inside of the lens housing? I have many Lucas parts and most likely have what you need.

OP
OP
wally05

wally05

You can see it through the lense... let me show u...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/66999/cat/recent/limit/recent

That pic, you can see the LH side fog light is rusted inside the housing by the bulb... Oh, looks like I'll be getting this set of fogs... they are proper CS fogs and look fantastic, so... either way, I'll have a set of Lucas fogs up for sale soon if someone needs a good set. I'll probably still try to fix mine before getting rid of a set... :)

Mosesatm

You can see it through the lense... let me show u...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/66999/cat/recent/limit/recent

That pic, you can see the LH side fog light is rusted inside the housing by the bulb... Oh, looks like I'll be getting this set of fogs... they are proper CS fogs and look fantastic, so... either way, I'll have a set of Lucas fogs up for sale soon if someone needs a good set. I'll probably still try to fix mine before getting rid of a set... :)

It's difficult to tell from the pictures but the problem could be that the putty that seals the lens to its housing has yellowed. Could this be a possibility or is there definitely a rust issue with the housing?

If it is yellowed putty you can slide a putty knife between the lens and the housing then GENTLY and SLOWLY pry the 2 apart. Scrape out the old putty, install new, and you're set. The putty is similar to to what's used to seal old windows in houses.

If the housing behind the lens is rusted let me know and I'll send you an assembly or a lens housing if I have any more laying around.

Here are some pictures showing the parts in question. Note the before and after photo of the 2 lenses.

Attachments

• Lens Housing.jpg
    Lens Housing.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Lens.jpg
    Lens.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Lucas Lens Back 2.JPG
    Lucas Lens Back 2.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 14

rvrtrash

Hey Wally, if it turns out that it is rusted and not the sealant like Arlie said, I'll glass bead it and paint it with a "chrome" paint for you. PM me if you're interested and we can work out the details.

Steve

OP
OP
wally05

wally05

Thanks, guys. That sounds good. That is exactly what the problem is. I'll probably end up with this other set of fog lights if anyone needs them. They are in great shape. :)

HappyHour

He guys not to hijack the thread but anyone got a source for Lucas Fog light covers? Would love to get a pair..

Wally05 are your extra fogs Lucas? They should be worth something but would love to have spares just in case so let me know!

Robert

OP
OP
wally05

wally05

Yep, great shape, original lucas with the light covrs, but I'll probably keep the covers. :) Give me a few days to get stuff around and I'll see if anyone needs them. I'd rather get them to one of you guys first.

Mosesatm

Which covers, round or rectangular eyes?

Attachments

• Cover Samples.jpg
    Cover Samples.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 25

HappyHour

Arlie do the Lucas come in different eyes lenses? I beleive mine would be rectangle as well.

Any ideas on where I can pick up a pair of covers?

Attachments

• Mustang_Front[1].jpg
    Mustang_Front[1].jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 14

Mosesatm

Arlie do the Lucas come in different eyes lenses? I beleive mine would be rectangle as well.

Any ideas on where I can pick up a pair of covers?

I may have another set but I'm not sure. I'll take a look tonight. If not, the covers with rectangular eyes are usually easy to find on eBay. I think someone is now making reproductions, too. If Hoop is still active on this site he would be able to tell us who is making the repros.

OP
OP
wally05

wally05

The bases dont look right on those. I know for sure that the ones I picked up are actual CS fogs. Like I said, I'll be posting some up for sale soon. Happy, I'll first see if you want them since you asked first.

BroadwayBlue

Those are Shelby posts (square). The regular posts are available from Bob Teets. My 289 came with the square Shelby posts and I got a set of correct posts from Bob.

Mosesatm

He guys not to hijack the thread but anyone got a source for Lucas Fog light covers? Would love to get a pair..

Wally05 are your extra fogs Lucas? They should be worth something but would love to have spares just in case so let me know!

Robert

I don't have any more decent covers.

Last edited:

HappyHour

I officially "lick" them!! Thanks for the heads up Arlie!

Can the Lucas LR8 (middle ribbed) be used as non standard or backup pair to be used on CS?

Last edited:

HappyHour

Looks like someone else is looking for covers as well, was hoping to pick up cheap. :sad:

C'mon baby needs a new set of shooo....er eye covers!

hoop

I may have another set but I'm not sure. I'll take a look tonight. If not, the covers with rectangular eyes are usually easy to find on eBay. I think someone is now making reproductions, too. If Hoop is still active on this site he would be able to tell us who is making the repros.

Hi,

Yes we make the covers with the rectangular eyes under license from Lucas.

LINK

Lamps too, LINK