• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Proper Spring Color(s)

CobraMan

I would like to replace my front suspension on my early production 68 CS. I have a 289 2 Barrel with C4 Transmission. Is the all black lower control arm correct or rather the black with silver tip? I also understand that the springs had color codes about an inch thick painted on the spring to designate which spring are used for what engine. What coils were painted and what direction was the paint facing when installed? I know these are concourse questions but I'm finding it difficult to locate the answers on the concourse site(s).

Any input along with pictures is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rik

somethingspecial

The upper control arm is not painted, while the lower control arm is dip painted in semi-gloss black up to the jacking tabs. This kept the paint away from the ball joints.

The coil springs are painted semi-gloss black with two 1" wide stipes running the whole height of the coil spring. These should be oppisite the cut off end so they show outward when installed. Set the spring upside down when painting the stripes, this is the only way they stand up. Roll up some newspaper and insert into the inner coil to prevent spatter. Using a one inch wide brush paint two stripes approximately 1" apart. Green and Gold was a base color for the small block with no accessories. Green and Yellow is for anything else up to big block. If it has power steering, AC, etc. it will be Green and Yellow. Start at the top of the spring and using copious amounts of paint, stroke from the top down. This should form runs to the bottom of each coil. Leave these drips in place to dry. Don't use tape to seperate the lines or make a nice job, the factory didn't care and it was sloppy to say the least. When you turn the coil right side up to install, the runs will appear to have run uphill. This is correct for the Concours field. Concours also calls for unpainted spring perches and no rubber insert under the spring. Tie rod ends are unpainted as are the tie rods and drag link. each side is either pink or green depening on which side. I'll look it up for you when I get home. The 15/16th sway bar is painted semi gloss black with a big green paint daub in the middle. Upper and lower ball joint nuts when secure to the spindle and cotter pinned have a huge yellow daub of paint on them. strut rods are unpainted. Rear end U bolts have yellow paint on the lower portion of the threads below the nuts showing the nuts were tightened and checked by the line inspector. Hope this helps. Mike

p.s. I am at work and don't have access to my pics here. I will upload some tonight for you.

J_Speegle

I would like to replace my front suspension on my early production 68 CS. I have a 289 2 Barrel with C4 Transmission.
Is the all black lower control arm correct or rather the black with silver tip?

Originally the lowers were dipped in black paint. You can try and tape off the edge and spray the black on but getting a straight line that does not look taped is not easy. Some have used the water dipped method where the black paint is floated on top of bucket of water. This eliminates the need for a bucket full of paint ;)

Here is a picture of a 69 suspension and the lower A arm detail is the same. How much and the exact angle of the paint line varied slightly so you don't have to be exact.

9F02M481897PSfrntsuspmrksew.jpg

I also understand that the springs had color codes about an inch thick painted on the spring to designate which spring are used for what engine. What coils were painted and what direction was the paint facing when installed?
[/QUOTE]

Front spring ID marks can vary a bit since they were applied with a brush - I would think closer to 1/2" than 1" from the originals I see, Front coil springs IMHO were originally a dark heat treated steel (referred to as Phosphated by one of the workers at San Jose) at San Jose and the colors all depended on engine, trans, body style (easy here on this site) and options. Even when the car was built will make a difference so knowing exactly when your car will help get the best answers.

Front springs appear to have been applied with the spring upside down from how it was installed (as mentioned above) and were often moved while still wet but typically the runs will look like they run up hill once installed

Here is an example of a service replacement spring (it is painted) that gives one example of the spring markings

Springmarks.jpg

Here is an original example

67350-13024spdonlyFtSprings.jpg

IMHO be very careful about adding too many of the paint mark stuff to your car as there is plenty of bad information out there and plenty of people just adding marks with no reflection on where the information came from (the other car, plant, year, options.......) and I for one often deduct for incorrect ones - more in the recent years than before. Also a word of warning - IMHO don't copy the few paint mark info in the assemble manuals. ;)

In addition just having the paint mark colors is not enough since how and where they were applied is pretty specific.

Though these are for a 69 Dearborn many(almost all that I can think of) of the suspension finishes are the same. and may help you in your project. Of course DO NOT copy the paint marks since they will be different on your car

9F02M481897PSsuspension.jpg

9F02M481897Shelbyunder1.jpg

Hope this helps some.

CU @ ConcourMustang.com

Mosesatm

The inside strut rod washers look to me like they are backwards. Are they supposed to cup around the bushing?

J_Speegle

The inside strut rod washers look to me like they are backwards. Are they supposed to cup around the bushing?

For 69 (as mentioned) the rear washer should cup away from the rear strut bushing

CobraMan - if you want to provide a more detailed description we may be able to help more. This is a great site but for some more detailed (Concours)info you might want to check ConcoursMustang.com out for some more pictures or more answers.

Sorry everyone for the size of the pictures - each site handles them differently. They are nice and big ;)

J.Bart

For 69 (as mentioned) the rear washer should cup away from the rear strut bushing

CobraMan - if you want to provide a more detailed description we may be able to help more. This is a great site but for some more detailed (Concours)info you might want to check ConcoursMustang.com out for some more pictures or more answers.

Sorry everyone for the size of the pictures - each site handles them differently. They are nice and big ;)

don't be sorry, them's nice pictures

OP
OP
C

CobraMan

Thanks for the details and outstanding pictures.
Just to clarify. Since I have the small block (68) and have Ps, I should have Green and Yellow stripes. Are the colors flat, satin or gloss? What shade of green and yellow? I'm experiencing difficulty locating on the concourse site or perhaps I'm not searching correctly. Would the 68 mustangs produced in San Jose be the same? Anything different about the CS's? I recall the suspension on the CS's are GT configurations.

Russ

My 302 cu in small block (J code) and my 289 cu in (C code) have the same paint markings. These cars are equipped with factory air, so that would make a difference. My paint daubs are lavender and vermillion orange. I painted these daubs exactly where they were on the spring before I cleaned them. I found evidence of black paint on both my springs. You can see these spring paint daubs on the post "Update on My Lime Gold GT/CS". By the way, my small block GT (with factory air) has different colored daubs. Hope this helps, Russ

J_Speegle

Thanks for the details and outstanding pictures.
Just to clarify. Since I have the small block (68) and have Ps, I should have Green and Yellow stripes.

Green and Yellow???

Since your car is not a Calif Special when was it built?

And to clarify C code coupe, automatic, non-GT, non-AC, but with PS. Correct? So we can look up some references

Are the colors flat, satin or gloss?

Believe they were originally glossy but turn flat with age and the elements

Would the 68 mustangs produced in San Jose be the same?

If built at the same time and equipped exactly the same

Anything different about the CS's? I recall the suspension on the CS's are GT configurations.

OF course GT and non GT colors would be different in many cases not all Calif Specials were GT's. Common misunderstanding

...............I painted these daubs exactly where they were on the spring before I cleaned them. I found evidence of black paint on both my springs. ..........

Russ were you able to remove this finish with thinner or paint remover? Just asking ;)

somethingspecial

I was mistaken in the color of green and yellow for your car. I appologize. I will look up the reference I have at home and get back to you. But Jeff may have evidence my reference is wrong. We'll compare notes. Mike
ps. I did not post pics since Jeff's pics are better than mine.

Last edited:

somethingspecial

Using the 1964 1/2 to 1973 Mustang Detailing Guide by K.A. Helm 1995 it shows the 1968 289/auto coupe with P/S only using Orange and Yellow stripes on the front coil spring. I was stuck on big block cars when I Wrongfully said green and yellow. Mike

Last edited:

J_Speegle

MIKE IMHO I would never use that as a reference. Almost all of that info was taken from the 72 version of the Illustrated Parts Catalog so it includes only what Ford had on the shelf at that moment not what was used originally in every case. The colors you found listed are a perfect example. Those colors were used during part of the year but not during the whole year. I found two other colors used in addition to that one for

My preferred reference, when available, is the same buildsheets workers used as a guide to choose the parts from the bins ;)

somethingspecial

I can only go by what I had available when I restored my car. That reference was the only one I could find at the time listing spring color codes. With your vast knowledge and 20+ years research on these cars, have you ever thought about writing a difinitive book on proper paint codes, marks and placement. I for one would buy a copy. Mike

Last edited:

Russ

Jeff, When I cleaned the springs, I used lacquer thinner to wipe the springs down..thankfully there was no rust, and they cleaned up very well. I could clearly see where the paint daubs were located and reapplied the daubs in the same location. The location varied on each spring (one faced the front of the car and the other was facing the outside of the car). The lavender and vermillion orange colors were clear as a bell, and the springs on the March car had black paint on them. As I said, neither of my GT/CS cars have the GT option. Both cars have factory A/C, power steering and have the small block. One car was built on February 14 while the other car was built on March 7. Hope this helps. Russ

franklinair

MCA Rules, Section 5, par. G :
"Front semi gloss Black parts: Swaybar, Coil springs (may be natural)"

I paint mine, to prevent them from developing surface rust.

Neil

Russ

My springs had black paint in addition to the paint daubs. I've seen them both ways, natural and painted. Hope this helps, Russ

J_Speegle

Russ - the reason I ask is that often the quenching of the spring (like the spindle) produced a shinny painted look and when we've tried to remove it with paint remover could never get anything though we could chip it off or sane through it

I can only go by what I had available when I restored my car. That reference was the only one I could find at the time listing spring color codes. With your vast knowledge and 20+ years research on these cars, have you ever thought about writing a difinitive book on proper paint codes, marks and placement. I for one would buy a copy. Mike

We talked but to cover all the years and all the options the task is great and have plenty to do. We (Paul and I ) did discuss doing it for the Calif Special book but not sure if that is what is planned.

I thought we could provide that and other specific details since the scope of that book is some focused (one plant, one year, one body style...)

He has requested the use of a series of drawings showing the undercarriage and front wheel well details.