• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Proper attachment of trickle charger....

mbsf1970

Which way would you connect?

1) black (negative) clip from charger to neg post of battery and then attach positive red clip to chassis

2) other way around ... Red clip onto + post and black clip to chassis

3) attach both + pos and - neg clip to respective battery posts and nothing to chassis?

Car is in cold storage until spring and I bought the charger to feed battery on 2 amp trickle as needed.
Thanks,
Stephen

franklinair

#3.
I would disconnect the - negative cable from the Battery, connect the trickle charger to the Battery. + to +, - to -.

Neil

rvrtrash

I always connect the positive first and then the negative, same as when I install the battery cables. Since the charger won't be plugged in until after you connect the cables though, it doesn't really matter either way.

Steve

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Neil,
why disconnect - Battery cable??

Currently I have both + and - charger clips on battery with respective battery cables still attached to battery with the charger set on 2A charge as needed. Bad?

franklinair

For long term storage I prefer to isolate the Battery from the car's electrical system (probably an over reaction on my part).
Not knowing what type of charger you have I am not familiar with it's settings. I use a "Battery Tender" trickle charger that automatically cuts off when the Battery is fully charged.

Neil

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

thanks for info.....@Neil my charger cuts off when battery is fully charged and only cuts in as needed thereafter.
Stephen

BigJim

I have a Battery Tender pig tail attached to the battery of each of my cars. That way all I have to do to put a car on tender is to open the hood and plug in the tender cable. On my two classics I have added a battery cutoff switch so that when they're not being driven the battery is disconnected from the vehicle.

DeadStang

I also have a switch disconnect on the negative battery terminal to kill the power to the rest of the vehicle for long-term storage--just out of paranoia. I try to always do everything in the same order every time, so I attach the positive red cable to the positive battery terminal, then the black/negative to the negative terminal. I then avert my eyes and face from the engine compartment when I plug the trickle charger into the wall outlet.

To remove it, I go backward--unplug from the wall, unhook the negative, then remove the positive.