• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Paxton supercharger

franklinair

I got a question from a friend that I could not answer: What years/models did Ford install Paxton superchargers on Mustangs?
He apparently has a complete/removed system that has 'Mustang' marked on it. Any ideas?

Neil

Mosesatm

http://www.paxtonauto.com/article.php?id=3

From the linked article:
Paxton was again vaulted into the automotive limelight when Carroll Shelby teamed up with the company, first on a blown 1965 289 Shelby Mustang and later on a twin-supercharged 427 Cobra. Carroll personally sold the Cobra to comedian Bill Cosby, but it was never made a production item.

The Paxton supercharger option was produced in limited quantities for the Shelby GT-350 Mustang, from 1966 to 1968. This set-up was also available as an over-the counter dealer installed option on standard small-block V8 Mustangs from 1965-‘72.

Shelby and Paxton created another unique prototype in early 1967. This GT500 coupe, known as “Little Red”, inspired Ford to build the highly collectible 1968 California Special Mustang. Little Red featured a Paxton blown 428 Shelby-built powerplant that was said to “chirp the tires at 80 MPH” with its estimated 500HP+.

In the early-to-mid ‘80s, as OE performance began to return, Paxton became the first aftermarket supercharger manufacturer to release a 50-state legal 5.0L Mustang street system using an updated version of the SN-60 reciprocating ball-drive unit known as the SN-89.

Last edited:

robert campbell

Neil,
I installed a Paxton on my first 1967 Fastback in the mid-1970’s. Lots of fun and a great power added. 289, beefed up automatic and 3.70 gears. Even with the basic stock iron heads in adds a ton of power. I reduced the size of the pulley and increased the boost from 6 to 9 pounds at 6,00 RPM.

Paxton has been available all through the years starting I think in the mid to late 1950’s where the came on Avanti’s. As Arlie said they became popular in the ford world in the mid 1960’s.

I think you are wondering about the Mustang name being cast on the air box? To my basic knowledge there were some cast with Cobra or Shelby on them. The original black finished smooth kinda rounded on the corners air box remained in production for many years. As I remember the Mustang was later cast into this version before they changed to the ‘ribbed” version you see today. My guess is this is one of the later versions of the first box that was for sale in the 1980’s to maybe through the 1990’s. Old magazines from that era may show the ads for them.

Arlie has a library of old magazines. I bet he can find an ad selling the system this friend has. But who knows maybe it is a much earlier piece.

Rob

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

This friend is bringing the unit to me next week. I'll get a closer look, and take some photos. I think he just wants to sell it. But until I get more clear info, it'll have to wait. (I haven't dealt with blowers since my dad's '57 MGA with a Judson blower.):rolleyes:

Neil

robert campbell

Neil,
how about a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk with a McCullough supercharger! Or same thing on a 1957 T-Bird with a 312!! The “E” bird!!!

Rob

di81977

Craig Conley, Paradise Wheels is the expert on the older paxton systems. A while back I was looking at buying a GT350R clone with a paxton on it and had a brief conversation with him. Seemed like a good guy.

Phone: (760) 740-0954 (might be an old number)

edit - Just found on the interned (760) 744-2400

sportyworty

Yes Craig purchased the rights to Vintage Paxton over 20 yrs ago and is the authority. The McCullough design was carried over to the Paxton thus some of the 65/67 era gauges are Paxton/McCullough. The Cobra box was used from 65-67 and in 68 was changed to Shelby due to the licensing agreement dispute between Carroll and FOMOCO. There were no factory (AO Smith) blowers installed on 68 Shelbys however it was a dealer option and the service units for this were Shelby Cap White painted blower motors.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Today I finally got the Paxton components. I don't have a clue as to application and/or value. Any info/opinions would be appreciated.

Neil

Attachments

• 297.jpg
    297.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 298.jpg
    298.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 299.jpg
    299.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 26
  • 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 301.jpg
    301.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 302.jpg
    302.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 303.jpg
    303.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 304.jpg
    304.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 306 - Copy.jpg
    306 - Copy.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 305.jpg
    305.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 24

rvrtrash

Neil, that looks like a kit for passenger side installation. Since it says "Mustang", I think we can assume it's for 65-73 Mustangs and it's probably for a 289/302. If you have some spare timing cover gaskets, see if the bolt holes line up on the passenger side. As for value, I don't think I'd give more than a thousand. The carb hat is probably a $300-$500 dollar item, but the supercharger would have to be rebuilt. I wouldn't trust the bearings and the seals certainly need replaced. Just my opinion.

Steve