• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Supercharger

robert campbell

I am following in Joe's footsteps. Ordered a Weiand Supercharger for the 302 in the GT/CS today! Santa says I have been a good boy! Joe has been helping me with the new world of forced induction.

"When atmosphere is not enough"!!!

Rob

Doug

I want one.... Do they make a supercharger for a 390? I hope it's not to late to ask Santa?

Happy Holidays - Doug

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

I ran a Paxton supercharger on a 289 in the mid 1970’s in my first Mustang. A 1967 Fastack. Pretty much a “plain jane” car. Even through stock heads in made huge power! Seat of the pants tuning. Now a days you have so much more to work with. Carbs set up just for superchargers, spark retard systems, multi adjustable distributors.

With a 390 you cannot buy a direct kit from Paxton anymore. Dyers makes a manifold and a roots style 671 lower. You will need a hole in the hood or one heck of a tall scoop. If you follow ebay you might find a vintage Paxton system but I doubt it. I have included a couple links. You may be able to contact this guy and ask about his system. Jack Miller is another guy that runs two Paxtons on a FE block Mustang and runs in the Hot Rod pump gas drags. I will find him and link him. This car is the fastest street driven Mustang in the world. It is so cool.

Santa will need lots of money….

Rob

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featu...ng_gt500_classic_muscle_car_review/index.html

http://www.dyersblowers.com/1694.html

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0707_1968_ford_mustang/index.html

P

PNewitt

I know the president of Paxton/Vortec in Oxnard, CA, as well as the engine tech guy at GAS (Galpin) in L.A.

I'm sure we can find an FE setup for a 390. The hardest part to find/make would be the bracket. I'm sure that someone in L.A. has them available for sale (for Ford pickups and Cobra replicas).

Robert--why Weiand? I have a friend who drag races a Road Runner at Pomona that hates their stuff....especially their intakes. And...how is a roots (6-71) type preferable over a centrifuge type--for the street??

I drove a '68 GT-350 Conv. 4-speed with a Paxton from Portland to Sacto (SAAC Convention), and I loved it!!

Paul N.

p.s. since we're on the subject...who knows what's available as a blower or turbo for a Ford 6-cylinder? That would be pretty trick to see under the hood of a T-Code GT/CS!

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Paul,
Either is a great setup. Wanted to try a roots type blower. One thing to consider is a paxton will fit under the hood. I will follow Joe’s lead and cut a flat hood for my 69 Cobra Jet style hood scoop.

The basic difference between a paxton and a roots type is a paxton is not a “positive displacement” blower. The Whipple, Weiand, Eaton, and Dyer (old “jimi”) 471/671/871 are positive displacement style blowers. A turbo and a paxton are not.

The simple description of a roots style is it is not blow through. Once the air is captured by the rotors inside a roots style blower it is “forced” and cannot go back up out of the top, so to speak. If you take a paxton or a turbo and cover the outlet it will just spin and so to speak do nothing. That is why you see “blow out” plates on the roots style blowers. That is why you see straps on top fuel blowers to keep them from landing in your lap in the stands. Once the rotors capture the air it must go out the other side until it stops turning. They have Teflon seals on the rotor tips.

Now the basic difference in performance. The positive displacement blower will develop more horsepower and torque at low rpm’s. The dreaded supercharger “lag” you here about. But I will tell you that proper tuning and so on has reduced this gap a quite a bit. Either system will add huge power. Turbos seem to have the most lag. But I am sure someone would attack me on that one! Tuning tuning tuning.

Most, if not all, of the new cars have went to roots style blowers. They are just as dependable if not more. Proper air cleaners are a must. My brother has a 92 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe. Eaton blower. Huge low end torque increase.

I would stay away from the old Paxton supercharger with the “drive ball” style internals. I lost the ball bearings in mine and rebuilt it with very little miles on it. The new Paxton/Novi is a gear driven style and much stronger and more dependable.

Either system will put a big smile on your face!!

Rob

Last edited:
P

PNewitt

Thanks, Robert for the info on the types of blowers.

If the roots type would just fit under the hood! Too bad someone hasn't figured out how to take a later model Ford blower off a T-Bird or Mustang, and make it work on a vintage 289/302, or even a 6-banger!! (hmmm....shades of "Mad Max" Aussie Engineering!! LOL!).

It's all about getting that g-force to hit ya when you put the pedal to the metal!!

Paul N.