• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 over heating

franklinair

I've always had good luck setting the initial timing (no vacuum) @ 8 degrees BTDC, then connect the vacuum line. (This is for stock engines.)

Neil

OP
OP
G

green56

overheating

this is a single distributor we will be testing to day inthe 80's and high humidty

Mosesatm

Make sure the vacuum advance is working. If it isn't you'll overheat in a hurry.

OP
OP
G

green56

overheating

well guys we think we found the problem it was in the timing set it at 8 degrees was at 18 degrees took it out for a 1 1/2 hours and the temp was 86 degrees and 67% so it was warm & humidty the temp went up to 230 it registered 1/2 on the gauge it did go up to 3/4 when we got in to construction, then when we got out it was about 10 min it droped down to 1/2 so i hope this fixed it. So we will be driveing it up to the EAA which is about 80 miles so we will see thanks everbody that gave me advice on what to look for thanks again
Tom Wisconsin

OP
OP
G

green56

i ;to bring up old storys but i think i still haveing a problem with over heating i just got a set of heads off ebay and they are 289s for 67-68 does any body think i should try these heads that it might not over heat; I HAVE DONE EVERYTHINHG that we could think of to do 3pass new hieff radiator 6 blade fan fan schrod did the timing over

robert campbell

We really ned to understand what your timing is set at.

When you say 8 degrees or 18 degrees, do you mean before top dead center (BTDC)?

Are all your vacuum lines off the distrubuter when checking and is it idling at around 700 to 800 RPM?

When you read the timing light is the reading below the marker or above it? Below is BTDC, above it is ATDC.

Stock distributor? Dual diaphram?

My guess is stiull timing issues.

Rob

J.Bart

what is the bore of the engine?
and is there any bubbles in the radiator with the engine running?
have you looked at the plugs? maybe the engine is running lean?

aemoo28

Tom, Dr Rob is a miracle worker with stubborn overheaters like my CS. I remember we switched around the hoses backwards (and we may have just left one not attached) and fixed the problem once and for all.

Also we advanced her a LOT- Rob do you remember? She has been perfect ever since.