• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

over heating

green56

would need help car over heats not all the time it seems like if i travel in the morning the car runs fine then in afternoon it will run ok then it starts to climb when i stop at a stop light the temp goes up then comes down a little but not enough to stop from over heating this is a 289cid 2b. Engine was over hauled in 03 only a 100 miles was put on up till Nov 07 do not know what was done the person died and no paper work.Rad was pulled boiled out tubes were punched and pressure tested engine was flushed 5 blade fan, hub is 21/2 " from fan checked air flow rag pulls up to grill their is a cond coil that is clean put a 180 in thermostat with all that done it still over heats today 31 i am going to put 160 stat in and change water pump that is cast iron and flush engine again. now does any body know what other things i can try?

nates68

First You Need A Shroud , Try A High Flow Waterpump, Use A High Flow Thermostat , Keep Your Fan Half In Half Out Of Shroud, Use 2 Cans Of Waterweater. Summitt Sells All This Stuff. Works Fine On My J Code 302 .

Good Luck, Nates68

gazrox

Fan shroud is a must, but also check the following;

- check that the thermostat is working properly by dropping it into hot water
- check that the bottom rad hose has the coil spring inside, sometimes the hose can squeeze causing flow issues
- check the rad cap rating, it should be about 8lbs from memory
- also might want to check your coolant density, too thick will cause issues.

Good luck - seems we've all had that problem!

OP
OP
G

green56

heating

First You Need A Shroud , Try A High Flow Waterpump, Use A High Flow Thermostat , Keep Your Fan Half In Half Out Of Shroud, Use 2 Cans Of Waterweater. Summitt Sells All This Stuff. Works Fine On My J Code 302 .

Good Luck, Nates68
yes i have a fan schroud the water pump is a 9 vane water pump the one that was in their was a 6 vane i have a 160 stat the fan hub is 2-1/2" from radiator what is waterweater?

Mustanger

What is the condition and style/model of radiator? If it's in bad shape, perhaps a good cleaning/flushing may help, also maybe replacing the rad altogether ... but if it's a 20" 2-row factory style radiator, you can drastically improve cooling by swapping it out for a 24" 3 or 4-row radiator ... I did this (along with a fan shroud and a factory style 6-bladed fan) and now my car's temp gauge is nice and cool :thumb: ...

nates68

Redline Water Wetter Reduces Temp Up To 30 Deg. I Think Our Rad Caps Are 13psi, Try Some Of The Things I Wrote To You,they Worked For Me,

Nates68

Mosesatm

If you do everything other have suggested and still find that the engine is overheating you may have a blocked water jacket inside the engine.

rvrtrash

I wasn't going to say anything, but if you would have tried the things I suggested in my reply to your email before posting here, you might have found the problem or narrowed it down considerably. Why did you bother to waste my time if you weren't going to try anything?

Steve

PS. I'm done answering questions for newbies. This isn't the first time this has happened, but it is the last.

GTCS95616

Check the ignition timing. If the timing is retarded by a significant amount, it will run hot.