• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Oil pressure sender Ext.

Ruppstang

Can some one who has the factory tach dash option tell me if the oil pressure sender is mounted on a ext. like the gage sender or is it screwed directly in to the block? Thanks for your help Marty I fotrgot to say it is a 289 2V.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Well I found out today the small sender (for light) did screw directly in to the block. Just in case anyone else wanted to know.

Mosesatm

Is this it?

Attachments

• Oil Sending Unit.jpg
    Oil Sending Unit.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 27

franklinair

Arlie- that's the oil pressure sending unit for the oil pressure indicator. Cars with the "idiot light" utilize a smaller oil pressure switch that screws directly into the block (without the extender).

Neil

CougarCJ

Yes, the large bell shaped sending unit is for the analog oil pressure switch.

The extender should be hex shaped rather than round and an angled threaded end, for the sending unit.
Every Cougar XR7 has one.:grin:

Tapered threads, don't use Teflon tape.

Mosesatm

Arlie- that's the oil pressure sending unit for the oil pressure indicator. Cars with the "idiot light" utilize a smaller oil pressure switch that screws directly into the block (without the extender).

Neil

Can't find a picture of that one. I think it was used only with tach cars, so it's pretty rare in the Mustang world.

franklinair

Amen. The PO of my C/S used teflon tape on the threads into the block. I changed 2 sending units due to no pressure indication before I found a small sliver of teflon that blocked the hole in the sending unit:eek:. A PITA with the A/C compressor & P/S pump in place:rolleyes:.

Neil

Mosesatm

This is from the 1969 chapter in Volumes I & II of Mustang & Ford Small Block V8 1962-1969 by Bob Mannel.

Attachments

• Oil Sending Units.jpg
    Oil Sending Units.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Thanks Arlie for the great picture it is final comformation I was looking for. On a side note in that picture the fuel pump is the correct Carter with the button top. Not too many cars still have them. Marty