• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. off topic exhaust question

66hcs-conv

I've got a 2001 Mustang Cobra with 55 K miles on it.

When the RPM's get into the 5500-6000 range the exhaust is really annoying and raspy.

It still has the original exhaust system, including the original mufflers.

I want to replace the mufflers, or do a cat-back system.

What would be a good choice of exhaust components that will not be as irritating, but yet flow good.

Thanks for your help. Dave

Last edited:

Edward Bodoh

Try Borla exhaust. Their website has good info and if my 08 needed a new exhaust system that's what I'd choose. They have packages which include milder exhaust tones.

BigJim

Exhaust sound is a personal thing. What sounds good to one person may not sound good to the next. I suggest you attend some cruises and shows and listen to other people's exhausts and when you hear one you like talk to the owner about what he's running. Keep in mind differences in engines can cause the same exhausts systems to sound different.

Northern Pony

My 99 cobra at 32,000 miles still has original equipment exhaust, sound is good but on quiet side. Friend converted over to Bassani with his 2003 Cobra, sounds good at idle and low excelleration, but very noisy at high excelleration.
BoB