• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Most Elusive Mustang Part?

Mosesatm

I didn't say I did it. I said that is what I have. It came that way from the old lady I bought the car from. I bought a new correct battery for it but toasted it by leaving an upper console light on. Put this one back in until I get the other one returned. Is that Okay or should I not worry about the main bearing and go get the battery replaced?

Why would you do that?

Perkchiro

It's Okay Arlie, you'll have to disconnect all that sfuff and take the battery out when you pull your engine for that stroker rebuild!

Mosesatm

Scott, please accept my apology for the rude response to your question. It was quite uncalled-for.

J_Speegle

Scott, I was told it should have had a group 27. Is this not so? Jeff, Can you shed some light. Thanks, Mike

Mike my mistake...... no as stated 24F was the battery your fine. Sorry if I cased extra work.... too many years, too many cars.

Here is a picture of what may have been an original

OldAUTOLITEGrp24f.jpg

J_Speegle

My 428 HCS has a gray battery heat shield. Been on the car since Jan of 1970. Are you saying that they never came with one from San Jose?

Didn't say never ;) Stated (long version) that after 30+ years of this and digging through yards I've never seen or heard (until this moment) of a San Jose car with a gray one. Likely seen/found 200-250 67-73 battery shields over that time. Think I've got about 30 at home presently.

First one fo those I saw was at Perkins in the mid-80's.

The only place since has been in a couple of magazine articles and on a couple of original Dearborn and especially NJ 68-69 Mustangs.

Didn't all 68 Mustang V8s use the same neg cable?

Sorry we were sort of getting off (68) track with some of the hard to get items. Forgive me

Which belt was it missing?

Didn't check the numbers against the list but just looking at them. Not the best picture (better individually) but here is the group of them. At least two different makers/providers by the looks of things

YMT524BeltsAll.jpg

GTCSMustang

Here's an original assembly line Group 24 Autolite Battery with a 1969 date code.

Attachments

• DSC00992.JPG
    DSC00992.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00993.JPG
    DSC00993.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00994.JPG
    DSC00994.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00996.JPG
    DSC00996.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 25

J_Speegle

Nice piece. At least the late 60 ones look like the over the counter - unlike the 64-66 ones (tar tops) :(

Still looking for one of them

J_Speegle

Your car would have come with a group 24 battery. Group 27s didn't come out until 1969.

Scott a thought (happens every once in a while) came to me today...... if no Grp 27 till 1969 then why did Ford make a Grp 27 battery shield with the C7 engineering and part number ;)

GTCSMustang

I think they put the Group 27 batterys in Torinos in 1968, just not Mustangs.

Scott

LUVMYCS

The 64 1/2 had different shift indicator bezels and lens than the 65 and 66?
I always thought the 64 1/2 - 66 Mustang parts were pretty much interchangable?

I have the bezel and lens from a 66.

3- (a little more limited) a 64 1/2 automatic shift indicator bezel and lens for a console[/QUOTE]

J_Speegle

Scott .. its just interesting that the shield (if I remember correctly ... not going out to the garage to check) the shield carried a Mustang engineering number and that Ford thought it was important that other 390 applications (add AC and other options) needed the grp 27 and not the Mustang .... for 2 years ;)

chevyfreak

I don't think it's hard to find anything these days. You just need to be patient looking.

J_Speegle

I don't think it's hard to find anything these days. You just need to be patient looking.

You must not be looking for anything right this minute ;)

One to add the list - though not exactly a Mustang part. How about a 65 Shelby horn switch??

GTCSMustang

Chevyfreak,

You must be kidding. What are your sources? I look for stuff all day every day and can't find it. Sure seems hard to get to me.

Can I give you my list?

Scott