• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Making Progress

CougarCJ

Am I correct that this was probably eliminated on the mustang since the top of the air cleaner is open and therefore there would be no re-capture of gases?

Thanks.

Steve

Yes, but it begs the question of why the snorkel was left installed. Nothing being pulled through that either. LOL

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Yes, but it begs the question of why the snorkel was left installed. Nothing being pulled through that either. LOL

hmmmm...hadn't thought of that. Then again the shelby pics earlier in this thread also have the snorkel still attached?

Last edited:

dalorzo_f

You are not venting the valve cover. Some risk of "goop" buildup. The other side should port into the intake at the rear or a carb spacer with large vacuum port. The snorkel will pull some air at no or low speeds, the ram air effect of a forward facing hood scoop is minimal. And if it was pulled the PO probably figured why leave a big hole in the base.

Besides GT500KR's and Boss 429's with ram air also had snorkels, so the engineers figured they do something! :wink:

1969_00037_06.jpg

robert campbell

Air cleaner looks like a ram air from a 69/70 car with a hood scoop. Home grown hood seal without a doubt. Hood scoop is definitely a 69/70 vintage scoop, but it is mounted a bit to far back on the hood to allow for the installation of the "blinker" assemblies. I had this scoop on Val’s 67 Fastback with the blinkers working. Very close to the aft stiffening brace that goes across the back of the hood, but it will fit and accept the blinker assemblies if located properly .

Back in the day I had a friend with a “shaker” hood from a 69/70 on a 68 Fastback. It will fit and line up very nicely. IMO this scoop and air cleaner are an add on later in this cars history. I looked at this as a possibility for my GNS with a “blinker hood” but thought it was a bit busy. My opinion only.

Below was my solution!!!

Rob

DSCN6258.jpg

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Air cleaner looks like a ram air from a 69/70 car with a hood scoop. Home grown hood seal without a doubt. Hood scoop is definitely a 69/70 vintage scoop, but it is mounted a bit to far back on the hood to allow for the installation of the "blinker" assemblies. I had this scoop on Val’s 67 Fastback with the blinkers working. Very close to the aft stiffening brace that goes across the back of the hood, but it will fit and accept the blinker assemblies if located properly .

Back in the day I had a friend with a “shaker” hood from a 69/70 on a 68 Fastback. It will fit and line up very nicely. IMO this scoop and air cleaner are an add on later in this cars history. I looked at this as a possibility for my GNS with a “blinker hood” but thought it was a bit busy. My opinion only.

Below was my solution!!!

Rob

DSCN6258.jpg

Thanks Rob. I like your solution! Very nice cars. I agree with you on the '69/'70 ram air. I was wondering about the blinkers. Hadn't noticed that the placement of the scoop might prevent use of them. All we know about installation is that the PO mentioned that they had it installed at the dealer. Of course it now looks like that this was a year or so later. Sure wish there was someone who could provide that info. Its a shame that this is a one-owner car and history is not available.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Does the hood scoop have lights in the rear of it like the one in the link to the ebay auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-69...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1fc9f0eb&vxp=mtr

If it has the lights it's a 69/70 scoop. If not, it's a 68.

Scott

Scott, I'll check today or tomorrow. The car is in my storage garage. Actually I don't think there are cut-outs for lights. If this is for a '68 what would it have been used for? Which cars? Thanks. Interesting that if you are correct, then perhaps this was actually installed at the dealer when they bought the car.

Thanks!

Last edited:

robert campbell

And to the best information available, a 1968.5 scoop only on a flat hood. Not on a blinker hood. But never say never is my motto!

Rob

GTCSMustang

All 1968.5 non-Shelby Mustangs (428 CJ) came from the factory with hood scoops similar to Forsche's car. All had flat hoods and all had a single painted stripe on the hood...even black cars had the black stripe (see photo of my black 68.5 CJ convertible). If the scoop on the car in question does not have turn-sig lights in the rear of the scoop, it's a 68 and was probably installed in 1968. If the scoop is a turn-sig scoop it was probably installed in 69 or later.

Scott

Attachments

• Black CJ Vert Photo.jpg
    Black CJ Vert Photo.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
F

Forsche

All 1968.5 non-Shelby Mustangs (428 CJ) came from the factory with hood scoops similar to Forsche's car. All had flat hoods and all had a single painted stripe on the hood...even black cars had the black stripe (see photo of my black 68.5 CJ convertible). If the scoop on the car in question does not have turn-sig lights in the rear of the scoop, it's a 68 and was probably installed in 1968. If the scoop is a turn-sig scoop it was probably installed in 69 or later.

Scott

Scott I don't suppose that you're itching to sell that '68 CJ convertible? : ) BEAUTIFUL car.

Steve

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Scott

One other question Scott. I noticed that some of those hood scope have a chrome egg-crate style grill just inside the opening of the scoop. Did all the '68 scoops have this? Mine does not and I think I would prefer the grill in place if one was made for it. Thanks