• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Making Progress

Forsche

Making progress with engine compartment cleanup

Attachments

• tn.jpeg
    tn.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 187
OP
OP
F

Forsche

Ram Air 289? :undecided

Pic is too small to really see what is going on with that seal?

Yeah, I can't figure out why the pic won't enlarge. Will post more when I figure that out. Its actually a 302 that they put a ram air system on it when new. I'm not familiar with the various Ram air systems but this one is a little funky in my view. I believe the hood scoop is ford product as is the air cleaner but looks like they used what appears to be a radiator support-to-hood rubber seal around the rim of the air cleaner? Weird but its gonna stay.

Yes the valve covers are painted Lime Gold! And a poor paint job at that! Clear that they were done a long time ago though and are a quirky part of that car so i may leave them or find a set of originals and put those on.

Some of you saw in the early posts that the car also had plexi bug screen (which sort of acted counter to the efforts with the Ram air). It also has live brake ducts for rear drum brake? And to top it all off it had a curb feeler. I took the bug screen and curb feeler off but couldn't bring myself to throw them away.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Attachments

• tn-7.jpeg
    tn-7.jpeg
    3.7 KB · Views: 106
  • tn-6.jpeg
    tn-6.jpeg
    2.8 KB · Views: 105
  • tn-9.jpeg
    tn-9.jpeg
    2.7 KB · Views: 106

dalorzo_f

Looks like a 69/70 scoop. Think it was used on Mach 1's and Torino's...

Interesting setup. Hand made under hood plenum or FoMoCo? Or does the "seal" just jam up against the bottom of the hood?

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Looks like a 69/70 scoop. Think it was used on Mach 1's and Torino's...

Interesting setup. Hand made under hood plenum or FoMoCo? Or does the "seal" just jam up against the bottom of the hood?

Not sure exactly what you mean. What technically is the plenum? If it is the portion of the scoop on the underside of the hood, which creates the seal, then yes, there is none an its is just a hole cute in the hood.

I'll see if I can find a pic of the underside of the hood.

Attachments

• photo-47.jpg
    photo-47.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 44

dalorzo_f

Some cars have a enclosure under the hood. A "ducted" system to the seal instead of just the seal against the hood.

GT500KR
SC0510-90231_2.jpg

Cutlass, 442's, GTO's and many others had this as part of their ram air systems.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Some cars have a enclosure under the hood. A "ducted" system to the seal instead of just the seal against the hood.

GT500KR
SC0510-90231_2.jpg

Cutlass, 442's, GTO's and many others had this as part of their ram air systems.

Ah....thanks for the pic. That one looks a bit more professionally done the mine! : )

CougarCJ

Looks like the oil filler cap is for an open emission system? The air cleaner elbow has been removed for the vent hose. That is why the round steel cap is installed just above the distributor.

franklinair

I would be inclined to photo & document everything related to it's 'survivor' status based on the history & PO's bio. But then I'd put it back as close as possible to it's original status. But that's just me.

Neil

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Looks like the oil filler cap is for an open emission system? The air cleaner elbow has been removed for the vent hose. That is why the round steel cap is installed just above the distributor.

Gotta love the things you pick up on this site. I do see the steel cap you are talking about and I suspect you are saying that there was a rubber vent hose from the oil filler cap to the air cleaner through the hole where the cap now is. But what do you mean by "the air cleaner elbow has been removed for the vent hose.?

Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

I would be inclined to photo & document everything related to it's 'survivor' status based on the history & PO's bio. But then I'd put it back as close as possible to it's original status. But that's just me.

Neil

I feel somewhat the same way Neil but I also don't want to start the slippery slope of turning this car into a restoration project. There just aren't that many original (or original as the PO's chose to modify them) cars out there anymore. I love that this car has only seen one owner and the way it looks now is the way it looked for 45 years. I'm inclined to leave it exactly like that and change only the things I need to. Clearly there will be people who look at this car as and odd duck and feel that I should restore it but I've become a big fan of cars with a true vintage patina. With that said, everyone has their limits and mine just may be those valve covers. I may just look for a worn but original pair that would look appropriate on the car. But I'm stopping there!! : )

Steve

stangfan

I'm inclined to leave it exactly like that and change only the things I need to.
Steve

My suggestion would be to only change the things you WANT to change rather than the ones you need to change. After all, it's your car, so enjoy it the way you want to.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

My suggestion would be to only change the things you WANT to change rather than the ones you need to change. After all, it's your car, so enjoy it the way you want to.

Good point. Looks like it's the valve covers and not much else. : )

I am trying to repair some dings via PDR but don't plan on a repaint. The trunk lid is pretty bad...faded and worn through in spots to the fiberglass but again, once I start painting things like the trunk lid we're on the slippery slope. There are also a couple of spots where they re-sprayed and some very bad chip touch-ups with a color that is a couple shades darker. Ah well...all in all its still a very clean car.

dalorzo_f

The original air cleaners had a metal elbow or a plastic insert (think that came in in 70 or 71, probably cheaper than fabricating/connecting the metal ones) to connect the LH valve cover to the air cleaner.

Part of the PCV/emissions system to reduce emissions and pull oily air back into the intake to be reburned.

Random web pic showing the original style cap and hose.

68engine302.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Forsche

The original air cleaners had a metal elbow or a plastic insert (think that came in in 70 or 71, probably cheaper than fabricating/connecting the metal ones) to connect the LH valve cover to the air cleaner.

Part of the PCV/emissions system to reduce emissions and pull oily air back into the intake to be reburned.

Random web pic showing the original style cap and hose.

68engine302.jpg

Thanks for the info and pic. This looks like the set-up on my '68 f100 with a 360 although I think there is one on each valve cover on the pickup. Am I correct that this was probably eliminated on the mustang since the top of the air cleaner is open and therefore there would be no re-capture of gases?

Thanks.

Steve