• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Interior Paint

Tequila

I am trying to figure out whether the L-4464 Lacquer Black Charcoal Metallic by Scott Drake or the AP-4464 Black Metallic paint by Seymour would be the correct paint for the Interior (door panel, rear quarter, and the dash) on a 68 Mustang Coupe.

Both paint appears similar in the finish.

Thanks.

Attachments

• paint.jpeg
    paint.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 21

dalorzo_f

Have not used those two, but the NPD version is a dead match for OEM if applied lightly from about 12-14" away in light coats and a bit "dry"...

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Have not used those two, but the NPD version is a dead match for OEM if applied lightly from about 12-14" away in light coats and a bit "dry"...

Thanks. I bought the AP-4464 from NPD. I painted the L-4464 on my steering column and it has a slightly wet / shiny look but is very difficult to keep the finish on. I painted one side first and the opposite side the next day however the side that I painted during the first day has started to lift up / wrinkle in some spots. Not sure if it's the wrong paint or my technique. I did sand it down with steel wool before painting. I didn't use any primer.

Do you remember the sku# from NPD that you bought?

dalorzo_f

I can check. But I think it was AP-4464 as you note.

Lifting sounds like poor prep. Did you use wax and grease remover before painting? if you had Armor all or other residue on it you have to get it ALL off. Just sanding/steel wool won't do.

As a lacquer its really thin so you have to use light coats. If you spray to close and apply a wet coat it goes blacker, I found very light dusting left a better charcoal/light metalflake look like my original dash and column..

Mosesatm

Thanks. I bought the AP-4464 from NPD. I painted the L-4464 on my steering column and it has a slightly wet / shiny look but is very difficult to keep the finish on. I painted one side first and the opposite side the next day however the side that I painted during the first day has started to lift up / wrinkle in some spots. Not sure if it's the wrong paint or my technique. I did sand it down with steel wool before painting. I didn't use any primer.

Do you remember the sku# from NPD that you bought?

Lifting normally occurs when lacquer is sprayed over enamel. If that's what's happening in your case you'll need to spray on a primer/sealer first so the lacquer can't get to the enamel, and/or spray the top coats very lightly. If you spray it on heavy it gives the thinner time to soak down and into the enamel base, where it basically acts like paint stripper.

sportyworty

Like Dalorzo said a light dust almost dry will get the metallic. I find a base in Semi Gloss Black first will be helpful for adhesion as the Charcoal is thin and you want the metallic to flow evenly. Scratches and touch ups are easier with a Black base an less likely to stand out.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks for all the great tips. I think my issue is that I was keeping the nozzle too close to the surface when painting it. I just need to be more patient and take it slow...

Also, I didn't apply any wax remover.

dalorzo_f

If you do prime, be sure to use one compatible with acrylic lacquer... per my painter some etch primers won't play nice with the paint...

J_Speegle

And if you have to use primer keep it light. Way too easy to fill in the grain and turn the semi or fully smooth. Been there done that - have to redo it again :(

BroadwayBlue

Will this paint work well on the door panels?

I have a few areas I was considering touching up.

On a related question, I thought I saw rug paint once.
I have one small spot that is discoloring.
Anyone with experience with anything related to that?

Last edited:

sportyworty

Rich a good product for the carpet is made by SEM. Carpet dye is also available from VHT and Duplicolor as well. You brush it in and works well.

dalorzo_f

I actually used a can of vinyl dye I had to recolor black carpet. Had a spare and figured "why not give it a go"... 5 years on still looks good...