• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

How many GT/CS's did you look at before finding the right one?

classicsguy

Just curious: How many California Specials did you look at before finding the one you wanted?

We have to consider the fact that not many real ones are left!!

Doug

I looked at 6 or 7 before I found the car that I bought. I have to credit this site for helping me find my 390GT/CS.

obwan93001

:embarass: Well, I have to admit I "blew my wad" on the first one I looked at (check out 2 pics taken the day I brought her home in my Gallery). She was in pretty much original, unrestored and unmolested condition and the good deal I got (a few little dings, 3 small spots of rust in both lower door corners and in lower section of one rear quarter and original, badly worn paint that gives her that spotted pony look I guess) which prompted my decision to buy. I just couldn't find where I'd disposed of my disposable cash or I'd spent twice of what I paid for one restored 5-10 yrs prior and I also wanted to do most of the restore work myself so I could have that pride of ownership thing when I am done y'know. However, she's pretty much a plain Jane GT/CS and I would've liked to have a few more options on it, ie J, S or X code engine, GT Equipment package, AC and consoles but I love her just the way she is! Original 289-2v should have enough power as I'm not looking to race and with the price of petro nowadays..., there are cool AC packages out there that can be added at a later time, I can always beef up the suspension w/some of the GT equipment type of components but again, I'm not racing her and standard suspension should do just fine, and finally I can always add consoles later but with the prices of OE consoles these days I may go with a newer aftermarket "hump hugger" type of lower center console in the future.

Anywho, that's our story and we're sticking to it.

Happy New Year all!

Last edited:

wally05

About 3 or 4. I never thought I'd find one with a decent price (ppl were wanting wayyyy too much). When I happened to start looking for a replacement for my 66 fastback, I found this j-code in some classifieds listings... picked it up for less than I sold the fastback for.. I was happy. :)

gazrox

Just the one for me - as it was the first one that I had seen come up for sale in Canada that was close to home - although I drooled over many more at car shows (sorry if it was anyone's on this website!)

I got my '67 coupe to a point where I was happy with it so when the Cal Special came up on Kijiji I decided to pull the trigger on a car that I had wanted for a long time. My '67 coupe is a great car that I've owned for 15 years, but its just a coupe and I've always liked the Cal Special.

Now I'm six months into the restoration and can't wait to get in finished and on the road.

clubpro

I looked at two small block CS before I bought my big block CS. The second one I looked at was sitting next to a highly modified 68 convertible with a very healthy 390 in it and when the owner fired up that 390 I had goose bumps all over me. I knew right then and there that I wanted a big block CS. The search began that day and a few months later I found mine on Trader online for $4500. That was 8 years ago and I have put another $20k into it and should have it done in time for Knotts Berry Farm in April.

Ron

Midnight Special

...I'm always looking, but have acquired five since 2005. My thing is not only to drive and maintain in optimum condition, but to give as many friends and family that classic car (GT/CS) experience that I enjoyed back in the '70s...
We range from C code to 4-spd. S code, but NO limits on excitement, pleasure and social intrigue ;-)

Attachments

• 0534.jpg
    0534.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 34

karolscali

i found mine in wash state since living in canada, i was looking alot on ebay mustang forums and of course this site, the prices varied from state to state finding the most in california state, mine was found on this site, and on ebay, since wash state was close enough to alberta, i flew down looked at a couple in wash and oregon,and even looked at a cougar xr7,i bought my gt/cs well optioned with lots of emotion and limited resources to thoroughly check it out and drove it upstate 300 miles to border in dec06 crazy ride driving a car almost 40 years old at night in fog and frozen rain, not really knowing how mechanical shape it was in, then i put it in storage till march then drove down with trailer and brought it across the border, upon looking at it now it was crazy of me driving it like that in dec because i did not know i had no brake lights no heat wipers were intermited electical acting up it was a emotional decision at the time, i got lucky i made it, and being a older restore of 20 years ago, now since in the restore stage the car was in excellent shape after taking a good look at it i got lucky but i guess were all lucky to own a car like a california special

HappyHour

TODAY!!

I was lucky enough to meet Kevin who lives 30 minutes away from my parents house and having him posting his family's CS so close to Xmas that they worked on together for years. Had to keep it in local...

Talking to him about the history was a pleasure and he was looking to pass his CS forward to someone on the forum who would appreciates it versus some foolio on eBay trying to sell single owner clone CS for obscene prices where you have to battle other people who are lookin for the $$.

Like previous posts its not about the options but finding one that the owner is up front on history of the car and you would enjoy driving and restoring.

That and I was talking to Santa Claus and he said he was gonna trade his sleigh for a Candy Apple GT\CS so he said "get er dun"!!

Good luck!! Post what your looking for..there are people on the forum who may let you borrow one (of their many) for couple years with right to buy it back. :eek:

Robert

franklinair

Only one. It was listed on E-bay. Photos looked good, I called the seller (a broker) made an offer & bought the car sight unseen. Had the car shipped to me here in NC. When I inspected the car up-close-and personal, it was better than described. When I opened the trunk, there was a filing box full of receipts, photos of the resto in progress by the previous owner, AND a daily log/diary describing what/where/when/how it was done. Needless to say, I was more than happy with my purchase: original engine, transmission rebuilt. I added Argent SS wheels, dual exhaust, and new rear springs. I'm a happy camper.
Neil

Canuck CSter

None .....first one I ever seen, back in 87......

Was in Salt Lake City working on a very short pro hockey career and was looking for a toy. I figured since I was in Utah and always wanted a mustang, might as well look there. At the time Shelbys, Mach 1 and 428's were avl.

I traveled towards Provo ( think it was ) looking for this CS/GT I'd read about. When I found it, I was curious of its authenticity and history....After a brief research session and a trip back to BYU, I took the S code/ 4 sp out to the desert for a tester.

I came back and gave the guy the 5 k ( cheque )he wanted on the spot and have been smiling ever since....

Haven't been able to spend as much time as i would have liked on and with it, but still wait for the days that i can...

DR in Ottawa

Only one. It was listed on E-bay. Photos looked good, I called the seller (a broker) made an offer & bought the car sight unseen. Had the car shipped to me here in NC. When I inspected the car up-close-and personal, it was better than described. When I opened the trunk, there was a filing box full of receipts, photos of the resto in progress by the previous owner, AND a daily log/diary describing what/where/when/how it was done. Needless to say, I was more than happy with my purchase: original engine, transmission rebuilt. I added Argent SS wheels, dual exhaust, and new rear springs. I'm a happy camper.
Neil

Attachments

• Dcars-1.jpg
    Dcars-1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

rvrtrash

Actually I wasn't even looking for one when I bought mine. I was at a guys house looking at his Mustang (Boss 351) and spotted his brothers CS sitting there also. Asked how much if I bought both and ended up spending two weekends transporting two cars and a bunch of parts 250 miles.

Steve

miller511

About a year... Started the search in early 2003 after a co-worker showed me the 1988 GT/CS Recognition Guide and Registry he had in his office. He and his wife (Rick and Sharon Kimble) both had GT/CS's that were in the original registry. I was intrigued. Also, my dad had a Lime Gold CS from about 1970 'til 1974 or so. Looked just like Donna's except with black stripes.

I saw the one I really wanted around Feb. of '03 at a specialty car place in Pleasanton, CA. They wanted way too much for it and I passed on it. About a month or so later I saw pictures of that same CS here on this site. A guy in Newark, CA had bought the CS from the place in Pleasanton. About a year later he had it up for sale. I jumped on it. And I've had it ever since.

-Jeff

CALIF GIRL

Just one. Had no knowledge of Cal Specials . I was looking to replace a 67 coupe that I wrecked. $1000 later I had a project that we later learned was a GT/CS. The day we drove her home we needed to change the heater core. Seems like ever since we have been changing/fixing something. But now 25 years later she is bright and shiny and runs great.