• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 How many Original GT/CS are in existence?

Asi924

From the original 3867 California Special. Do we know how many are we aware are still in existence. I get that question all the time. Ty

somethingspecial

There are 1483 entries in the Registry, These include HCS cars, Known Clones, and a LARGE batch of early cars which were built in January 68', which seem to have been built prior to GT/CS order, which means they do not reflect on the Marti Report as having been delivered with the CS package. We are trying to track down and inspect these cars. These include three Gold Nugget Specials which all went to different PNW dealers, and all wear GT/CS Clothing. That is a story all in it's self. So to answer you question, and without going back and counting cars, there are roughly 1450 GT/CS cars registered, and we are finding more everyday. A "Rule of Thumb" is figure there is one unregistered for every one registered.

Edward Bodoh

They are out there...

I can attest new ones pop up all the time. I bought an Ivy Gold Cs last year and my candy apple cs just 2 weeks ago...and both were not in the registry. I love it when more pop up to add to the list. Thanks for the info Mike...now I can answer people when they ask as well.

IVY rED here.

dalorzo_f

A "Rule of Thumb" is figure there is one unregistered for every one registered.

3867/(1483*2) = 76.7% still around...???

Paul Newitt looked for decades, and yes some keep coming to light, but I'd say the x2 is optimistic... no one will ever know for sure but I'd say "about half" still exist... impressive for cars pushing 50 years old. Maybe a couple hundred out there in barns and the mist... JMHO.... and sadly every year one or two probably get totaled...

Mustanger

3867/(1483*2) = 76.7% still around...???

Paul Newitt looked for decades, and yes some keep coming to light, but I'd say the x2 is optimistic... no one will ever know for sure but I'd say "about half" still exist... impressive for cars pushing 50 years old. Maybe a couple hundred out there in barns and the mist... JMHO.... and sadly every year one or two probably get totaled...

Maybe we should try (1483 x 2)/4118 = 0.7203 or 72%, since these stats include the HCS Mustangs as well ... yeah, this number still seems a little high ... If we were to theoretically pick the survival rate as 50%, then our equation would be:

(1483 x 1.3884)/4118 = 0.50 or 50% ...

This means (if we were to generously round up the 1.3884 to 1.5) that there might be approximately 1 unregistered car for every 2 registered cars ...:thumb:

dalorzo_f

Question was GTCS not GTCS+HCS, (slightly) different animal :wink:

Just used the posted number as I did not have my book handy...

somethingspecial

Truth of the matter, We will never know just how many cars are left. I used that 1 to 1 analogy because the former Registrar used that formula, but I see it has changed since I first heard it. All we can do is keep trying to document them as they appear, but unless the owner (if internet found) does not respond with a VIN, not much we can do. So your guess is as good as mine, There are the numbers.

stangfan

I have a registry for the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Convertibles (aka 7-Up Cars). Ford built 4,103 of them. I frequently get asked "How many are left?" There is no way of knowing. Cars get written off, people don't know what they are, and they lose their identity when owners change the white tops and interiors out for black when they start looking tatty.