• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Hot August Nights cars for sale

tworings

Just some Specials for sale I saw in Reno last week. I have a few more pictures of the cars if anyone is interested.

Car #1 (black - original sunlit gold) - needs a fair amount of work; $14,000 seemed a little high to me for shape it was in

Car #2 (maroon) - Looked to be in pretty good shape, $22,500 asking price. Talked briefy to owner and suggested they post it for sale on forum (if they didn't sell at the show)

Car #3 - at Auction. Reserve of $80,000 not met. Black paint w/silver flake. When I questioned asking price, seller told me car had been appraised at over $100K and that it was worth more than a typical Special because it was a documented "Executive car" - 1 of 50. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Attachments

• 4 sale 1.JPG
    4 sale 1.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 65
  • 4 sale 1b.jpg
    4 sale 1b.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 4 sale 3c.jpg
    4 sale 3c.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 4 sale 3d.jpg
    4 sale 3d.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 4 sale 3b.jpg
    4 sale 3b.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 4 sale 3.jpg
    4 sale 3.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 4 sale 2b.jpg
    4 sale 2b.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 4 sale 2.jpg
    4 sale 2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 72

gofastguy

The thing that I find most interesting is that there is a high bid listed of $72,500?? I cannot imagine turning down that bid...perhaps the high bidder might be interested in one of our cars at 70K:icon_ecst

OP
OP
T

tworings

The thing that I find most interesting is that there is a high bid listed of $72,500?? I cannot imagine turning down that bid...perhaps the high bidder might be interested in one of our cars at 70K:icon_ecst

Heck - I'd be happy to sell Buttercup for $50K :grin:
I was surprised to see the high bid of $72,500 (I wasn't there for the bidding, so don't know how they marketed the car) I think he should have taken the money and ran!

OP
OP
T

tworings

...'Would be interesting to see "documents". Also, what about the '67 front fender emblems? 'Looks like more of a restomod than anything "special" to me...

I don't recall seeing even a Marti report - he did claim he had spent many hours researching the car through Ford archives (maybe the documents were in the trunk LOL)

Midnight Special

...'Whole thing looks "suspect" to me. This will indeed be interesting. Thanks Lisa!

Even if there is such a car (1 of 50 exec...) wouldn't you want it original at that price vs all the aftemarket stuff? And what would really set it apart unless it had a factory 428 etc...???

Mosesatm

The bid reaching that high is not all that surprising, but they were probably not legitimate bids.

For example, if the reserve was set at $100K the seller could have a couple friends bid it up and they have no obligation as long as they don't reach the reserve.

In some auctions the auctioneer even does a little acting and accepts bids from non-existent people in order to quickly get the price up to where it should be.

RedGTvert

I would like to see this so called Appraisal. I see way too many appraisals that are completely unrealistic. To me, when I hear an unrealistic appraisal, it reminds me of Wall Street rating systems, which we all now know is a bunch of hooey.

clubpro

The owner was in Sacramento today and stopped by J & K Mustang to pick up some quad exhaust tips for the car. I am good friends with the owner of J & K and he called me right after the car left. The car owner was bragging that he had sold the car to someone in Monterey for $120,000. This is the same car that was on ebay several times and never met the reserve. The car is from Redding and the owner claims that the car was ordered with a "K" code motor for a Ford executive. It is interesting that none of this was stated on the ebay ad. Maybe it is because he could be nailed for fraud if he put all of this b.s. in writing. The car is a "C" code car. The owner let one of the employees at J & K take some pictures of the car and then they called me. You would not believe all of the claims that the seller was making to the staff at J & K. The owner of J & K has owned several Cal Specials and currently owns a meadowlark yellow C.S. plus is selling the white with blue stripes C.S. on ebay right now.

All I can say is buyer beware...

Cheers,

Ron

Midnight Special

Ron, I was hoping the whole thing was a joke. But seriously; what buyer would pay $120K for something as that without total documentation of all claims? I have to wonder if the (bragged about) sale is BS as well.

Based on the photos Lisa took, the car was little more than a decked out restomod. I'd love to see more photos if you can borrow them from J & K as well as a list of the claims. We can then sort it all out & expose the situation on a new thread......and stand by with helmet & goggles should the new owner check in and our computers explode!!
;-)

OP
OP
T

tworings

Exec car

A couple more pictures of the "Executive Car". I won't comment on my impression of the seller :rolleyes:

$120K - gee, I guess I'd better increase the insurance on Buttercup!

Attachments

• 4 sale 3e.jpg
    4 sale 3e.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 4 sale 3f.JPG
    4 sale 3f.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 48

franklinair

WOW!!
Based on political correctness, I just bumped the value of mine to $150K.:wink:

Neil

hookedtrout

My car was a presidential undercover cruise night stress relief car. 1 of 1 all documented in the trunk under the amp between the whoofers. I want to get the word out now so it can start building it's rep. I'm going for a million on BJ once the word gets out. ;-)

Cory

Midnight Special

Cory, I'm pretty good with Photoshop, Excell and Pagemaker. I can help you with that documentation. I think Ron can get us any decals we need and I have a spare set of big block valve covers that can be glued over the top of yours...I mean, let's do it right! We'll add a bag rack to the trunk and park it on a putting green in Monterey as the one & only "Pebble Beach Special" ...uh.....ordered by Lee "Torino".

What say???

hookedtrout

I say what are we waiting for, forget the putting green lets' go for the 18th hole, getting it in the middle of a green in Monterey should up the value and fame instantly, especially wearing all that new enhancement garb. Everyone in the world will see it on the evening news.

Cory

Cory, I'm pretty good with Photoshop, Excell and Pagemaker. I can help you with that documentation. I think Ron can get us any decals we need and I have a spare set of big block valve covers that can be glued over the top of yours...I mean, let's do it right! We'll add a bag rack to the trunk and park it on a putting green in Monterey as the one & only "Pebble Beach Special" ...uh.....ordered by Lee "Torino".

What say???

Mustanglvr

Hey, I almost got my car on the Antiques Roadshow in 2004. Only car anyone has ever brought to the show in it's history, lol.