• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hood lock pins.

mbsf1970

Doesn't anything hold these in place? If I close my hood too quickly the pins pop out. I only did it once and have learned but wanted to know if its just gravity that allows them to sit there when hood is open?
Stephen

dalorzo_f

The should have a groove and a snap ring on the underside of the hood that keeps them from popping out... pull one out and go the nearest decent hardware store, should be able to find a size that fits.

dalorzo_f

kinda like this.... (stolen from a random website...)

3491447_pby_3621521_pri_larg.jpg

68sunlitgold

Here is a pic of the snap ring on the lock. And if your are talking about the entire assembly, the large washer should have double sided tape on it so it sticks to the hood. In the pic you can see the 'white' tape on the underside of the washer. There are more pics and info on the link on the left under "How to Identify".

Doug

Attachments

• hcs_hoodlock2.jpeg
    hcs_hoodlock2.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 73

rvrtrash

I couldn't find double stick tape (for the top washer) thin enough at the time, so used a light coating of silicone adhesive. I also glued a second washer under the hood so that the snap ring would stop against that instead of the top washer. If someone wanted the hood pin assy, and didn't care about the hood, they could pry the whole thing off in a second without the extra washer underneath.

Steve

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Does anyone have the washers and or "O" rings that snap onto pin? Both of my pins are simply the pin and the spring.......
Willing to buy of course,
Stephen

franklinair

PM me your address and I'll mail you a couple clips. (I've got about a dozen of them)

Neil

68sunlitgold

Steve,
I will not say you 'have' to have them....I do have a question on how your twist locks stay attached to the hood? Can you pull the locks completely off the hood and do you have the springs between the lock and hood washer? It would definitely make it easier for someone to steal your locks since all they have to do is twist and pull. So, no they are not a necessary item but....just my 2 cents.

Doug

stangfan

Upon closer examination of the underside of the hood pins, I find that I DO have the clips. The funny thing is, the springs are on the underside of the pins, only held on by the clips. I checked the GT/CS book and now see that the springs should be above the hood. Guess this explains why my locks don't sit up from the hood when I unlatch them.

What is the best way to fix this? How do I remove the clips so I can take the springs out and then put them where they should be?

Thanks.

stangfan

Is that a fairly easy to find tool? Looks perfect to spread the clip.

Am I correct then, if I get the clip off, and remove the spring, the lock itself will just pull up out of the washer?

68sunlitgold

Steve,
you should be able to find the pliers at Home Depot or Lowes they also go by Snap Ring Pliers.

Doug

stangfan

Ok, got the tool, took the rings off and put the springs under the lock pins where they are supposed to be. Only problem is the rings now appear to be stretched out so that they do not grip the pin anymore. Do you normally have to replace them?

Thank you. :grin: