• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hood lock cut out

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Rob I reread you thread and it is still very interesting. Too bad you changed all those original details. Oh if only sheet metal could talk.
Marty

robert campbell

Marty,
No kidding! The quest continues. I hope Tim (midnight special) sees this post. I think I sent him the old pieces of script that came off my car. I would like for Mike J. to have them for their historical value. I wonder if anyone else has scripts that look like these? Not only are they way different than the service replacements, they make me wonder if they are some of the first 14 pairs of script made?

Most people have replaced the scripts over the years due to pitting. I hope someone else has an early car and still has the original scripts. Whether they are on the car or not.

Rob

Mosesatm

For the record I'm convinced there are at least 4119 California and High Country Specials.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I'm resurrecting this 9 yr old thread because I cut hood lock holes into my reproduction hood today. Whewwww... that was nerve-racking!

As others mentioned in this thread, even though the 2011 Recognition Guide (page 104) talks about the large holes on the underside of the hood being cut with a nibbler, that doesn't appear to be the case based on my original hood. The holes definitely look like they were made with a hole saw. Yes, they have rough edges (consistent with a hole saw) but they aren't oval as stated in the book.

See photos below showing a 2.5" hole saw fitting neatly within the original holes on my original hood. (just like the photos that Scott (GTCSMustang) posted earlier in this thread)

2024-03-31 13.20.25.jpg
2024-03-31 13.19.30.jpg

2024-03-31 13.20.21.jpg

To replicate the holes in my new repop hood, I used a 2.5" bimetal hole saw. I used my original hood as a template to locate the holes on my new hood. Measure twice (or 5 times!) and cut once as they say.

I then used a spring loaded center punch and then a small (brand new & sharp) drill bit to start each pilot hole from the top side of the hood. Then I enlarged that starter hole with the pilot bit from the hole saw, this time going all the way through the inner layer of the hood, being very careful to keep the drill level and straight. This gave me the guide hole for the 2.5" dia hole saw, visible once I flipped the hood upside down.

Below are the various stages of cutting this hole, starting with a sharpie to show where the hole would be in relation to the rest of the hood. I used medium to high drill speed, but applied pressure to the drill very slowly. I held the drill very steady with both hands and let the teeth do their job without putting a lot of downward pressure on them. Otherwise the bit would have caught and possibly damaged the hood.

2024-03-31 13.42.37.jpg
2024-03-31 13.46.27.jpg
2024-03-31 13.47.39.jpg

2024-03-31 13.48.25.jpg
2024-03-31 13.49.53.jpg

After both bottom holes were cut, I flipped the hood over again and used a 7/8" hole saw for the topside holes. The top holes on my original hood measure 7/8" dia, but the 7/8" hole saw wouldn't quite slide inside them. I went ahead and used it on my new hood anyway, and the end result is a hole slightly larger than 7/8" dia, especially after de-burring. For anyone else doing this, I'd suggest using a 3/4" dia hole saw instead and the end result after cleanup should be almost identical to the original size hole. I'm not worried about my hole being a little oversized because it just gets covered up by the hood lock washer anyway.

2024-03-31 14.11.33.jpg
2024-03-31 14.25.31.jpg

All in all, the holes turned out really well. Just took a bit of planning and a lot of patience.

Mosesatm

I saw the first photo and thought you cut all the way through your hood from the top with that hole saw!!!
It helps to read the narrative.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Adding a PDF with some dimensions and photos of the hood lock holes.

Attachments

• hood_lock_hole_dimensions.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 9

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Not sure yet. I got the hood and repop driver's fender to the body shop last Fri. It will probably be a week before they can give me feedback.