• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

hood hinge replacement

coloradoHCS

Hi All, since my HCS is snowed in for the season I am planning on doing some minor work that I have been putting off since I got it. My question involves the hood hinges. The hood does not sit tight at the rear along the cowl. Will new hinges solve this? Are there any "tricks of the trade" required to replace them? Any suggested sources for these parts? Thanks for any help you can offer, Mark. ???

rvrtrash

With the hood up, can you grab the back edge and side, wiggle it, and see a lot of movement in the pivot points of the hood hinge? If so, it's worn out and will have to be replaced. If it's just a little, you may be able to take it to someplace and have the rivits "squished" just a little to tighten it up. Finally, you might try loosening the three mounting bolts to the inner fender and rotating the rear of the hinge down. This will sometimes bring the hood lower in the back. Hope this helps, it's the best I can do without seeing it.
Steve

PFSlim

We had to buy new for our cal spec becuse the set we got with the car were corroded to bad. I purchased a set from Must Unlimted. We have not installed them yet but have put the springs on and they are ready. That are nice replacements.

Paul

case12

Mark, How did you ever solve this problem? My hood sits a too high at the back edge along the cowl too. casey

PFSlim

We have since installed our new hood hinges from Mustangs Unlimted and they work great.

Casey: The adjustment for up and down on the hood towards the back is in the hinges. There is three bolts, get some help to support the hood, loosen and move the hinges down in small doses. Tighten and check.

Paul

case12

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=1180;start=0#msg7085 date=1102996737]
We have since installed our new hood hinges from Mustangs Unlimted and they work great.

Casey: The adjustment for up and down on the hood towards the back is in the hinges. There is three bolts, get some help to support the hood, loosen and move the hinges down in small doses. Tighten and check.

Paul

Paul - thanks. I will give it a try this weekend. Casey
[/quote]

case12

Well, I got around to tweaking the hood to get it to lay level at the back (near the cowl). With a lot of trial and error I finally got it level by messing around with the three bolts for the hinges on the inner fenders. BUT, I can kick myself because I ended up chipping the paint where the very center of the hood at the back comes near the cowl. In one adjustment I had the hood back just enough to look good closed, but when opening it the angle was such that it crimped just enough to put a half inch chip in the paint. I share my novice learnings with others so that you always keep a close watch on possible pinches that can occur at ALL angles of the hood opening.

Now just need a little touch up paint to cover up the problem area - where's the best place to get sunlit gold paint? Thanks Casey

rvrtrash

I bet Doug (Sunlit Gold) has a couple of gallons laying around. ;D ;D Seriously, I'd go to an automotive paint shop that has the computer scanner that can read your paint and mix to match and have them make a quart. That way if there is any fade in your paint, the touch up paint will match.
Steve